Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WP Persistent Object Cache - Redis Reasonable Request to a Provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WP Persistent Object Cache - Redis Reasonable Request to a Provider?

I own many domains along with many hosting accounts, and I also host WP sites on VPSs I own using Virtualmin. Recently, I've started to see complaints from WP in the Site Health Screen that the site is missing a persistent object cache.

I read the documentation. WP recommends Memcached or Redis. I installed Redis on my VPSs and used the Redis plugin for WP. Everything seems to work well. If anything, the load on my VPSs seems to have gone down.

My question to you providers is "Is it a reasonable request to make to a shared hosting, cPanel or DA, provider to install Redis" So I can install the Redis plugin on shared hosting.

I'm interested in your comments, and feedback so I am trying a poll. I hope I set it up correctly.

Redis - Install On a shared Hosting Server
  1. Is it a reasonable request to make of a shared hosting provider?17 votes
    1. Yes
      17.65%
    2. No
      82.35%

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It's been a good while since I approached the topic so maybe some newer developments have come about, but I believe redis may be a bad fit for a shared environment because it can't be locked down very much. Meaning one user could pollute another user's cache. Fairly certain this is still true and that's why cPanel is doing awkward stuff like this to kind of maybe support it: https://docs.cpanel.net/ea4/containers/redis-via-containers/

Though this could dramatically change the capacity of the server if users started using that highly, I could see reason to not allow it even with options like that available.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • We provide it the last 4 years for all our services (shared, semi-dedicated, managed dedicated). We run dedicated instances of Redis per hosting accounting inside FreeBSD jail.

Keep in mind that object cache doesn't solve all the issues with slow queries. In some cases it makes it worse.

But in most cases especially in high traffic news websites and e-shops it helps a lot.

I remember a case few years ago with a huge "news website" using WordPress hosted in a dedicated server the CPU usage from average 80% drops to 10%.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012