Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

› Degoo clowns 🤡 downgrading "free" plans
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Degoo clowns 🤡 downgrading "free" plans

Tl:dr If you came across this post by searching, stay away from degoo and don't give them your money.

To be honest, at first, they were giving a generous storage for free plans. Personally, I never passed even half of it (50 GB) with uploaded data, but I did download their mobile app and watched tons of ads as I consider it to be a fair model. They didn't push ads towards me without my consent, so I ended up voluntary watching so many ads, that I reached 800+ GB. Again, I considered it to be a fair trade, as they were getting the revenue from ads in exchange for the storage.

Yet, these clowns recently did a really scummy move and sent an email:

Hi,

Due to the high inflation, our costs have increased significantly. As a result, we're unfortunately forced to reduce the Degoo Free account to 20 GB. We understand if this comes as an inconvenience to you and for that, we sincerely apologize. If we could have avoided this we would have. Degoo Free is still significantly more generous than the competition and if you need more free storage you can still earn bonus from watching sponsored videos in our Android app. In addition, our premium offers remain the most generous in the industry.

This change means you're above the new limit and need to get more storage or remove files to continue to use Degoo.

If you choose to do nothing your account will be terminated on Sunday, January 1, 2023.

As compensation for this inconvenience, we're providing huge discounts to Degoo Pro especially for you. You get 500 GB Degoo Pro with a 50% discount for a period of 3 months.

So instead to reduce the size of free plan from 100GB to 20GB and leave already earned storage from watched ads, these barnacles decided to wipe it completely and on top of that, they have audacity to say you can still earn bonus from watching ads, even that they will wipe out all previously earned, probably until they decide to wipe it out again. 🤡

I checked degoo subreddit and the situation is ever worse there, with paid customers getting their accounts terminated, so stay away from them and make sure to backup your data somewhere else.

Thanked by 1farsighter

Comments

• I only heard bad reviews about them, glad I didn't jump ship from dropbox

• degoo has been shit on at LET for years, so not surprised to hear more bad news. I guess you'll be opening that app and watching videos for the rest of the year?

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • Hmm.. the shit people go through to get free stuff

Thanked by 1ooowwww
  • @jmaxwell said: Hmm.. the shit people go through to get free stuff

He was properly compensating them by watching short videos!

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2022

I used their free plan for my WA group media as a third backup. Might just ditch them over this. Thanks for posting!

• ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted
    edited December 2022

Why not use box guy? I currently use their business 20 bucks monthly, and I love it. They bonus me 50GB and totally I got 150GB.

Oh fuck me, degoo 5000GB for 9.99 bucks monthly, 500GB for 2.99 bucks. That very good prices

• @Ympker said:
    I used their free plan for my WA group media as a third backup. Might just ditch them over this. Thanks for posting!

No problem! I found them before I registered here (so didn't know about cheaper storage deals) and luckily, I didn't use them for anything important, so I won't even bother downloading the data. On the other hand, it's a shame that people who actually paid them are getting their accounts terminated and hitting download quota limits for even backing up their data.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Pretty sure a lot of people still buy the deals though.

• @risharde said:

The lifetime deals have not been shrinked, have they? This only affects free accounts right? So, just by storage per GB that's still a good deal.

@Ympker said:

@risharde said:

The lifetime deals have not been shrinked, have they? This only affects free accounts right? So, just by storage per GB that's still a good deal.

Good deal assuming you don't make the mistake of putting anything copyright there.> @oriend said:

Yup, they scan the files and terminate if they find any copyright material

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @risharde see the second link, guy uploaded the video taken by the surveillance camera and got terminated. There are more similar cases there. Also, they advertise "zero knowledge encryption" for paid plans.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

if you need more free storage you can still earn bonus from watching sponsored videos

This shit right here is the killer line. I mean, why don't they just do what they clearly want to do? You watch ads to get more storage, and then you have to watch so many ads a month to keep it. Problem solved, no need to be shady.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • Reminds me when Microsoft rolled back free Onedrive to 5GB.

Thanked by 2Ympker TODO

@jar said:

if you need more free storage you can still earn bonus from watching sponsored videos

This shit right here is the killer line. I mean, why don't they just do what they clearly want to do? You watch ads to get more storage, and then you have to watch so many ads a month to keep it. Problem solved, no need to be shady.

That's definitely a valid business plan which actually to some degree is insightful because as much as we can blame them for a faulty plan, part of the human race can also be put on watch for encouraging a messed up business plan by encouraging it - we have been here for some time and we've seen what has played out in the past with super cheap hosts that deadpool. Lately I myself have been tempted to sell my services at cost just out of frustration of little to no sales but clearly I don't want to be a degoo.

Thanked by 1jar
    edited December 2022

@oriend said:
    @risharde see the second link, guy uploaded the video taken by the surveillance camera and got terminated. There are more similar cases there. Also, they advertise "zero knowledge encryption" for paid plans.

That is indeed double messed up that they advertise that because I could fall for it - oh wait, I did - terminated lol

• @TimboJones said:
    Reminds me when Microsoft rolled back free Onedrive to 5GB.

But they only do it for new account?

• @giang said:

@TimboJones said:

No old ones as well. Mine is 5gb now. I think they gave a very long grace period or something like that, not really sure, but it is definitely 5gb now I just checked.

• @TODO said:

@giang said:

@TimboJones said:

No old ones as well. Mine is 5gb now. I think they gave a very long grace period or something like that, not really sure, but it is definitely 5gb now I just checked.

My unused account still got 15 GB :/

• @giang said:

@TODO said:

@giang said:

@TimboJones said:

My unused account still got 15 GB :/

I think frozen is exactly what I had until I delete almost all files until my account was back at below 5gb.
    That's interesting that you still have 15gb, but I am not sure why yours is frozen when not above said limit, maybe due to inactivity. And being frozen had something todo with still being on 15gb, idk. Tbh I couldn't care less. 5gb to 15gb is such a tiny amount that I don't care about.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2022

Fwiw, it still shows 100GB for me lol:

Anyway, Koofr lifetime 100GB comes to 29$ish. Just use Koofr and forget. That said, I might just put my Internxt 2TB lifetime to use for tertiary image backup now :D

• ninjatkninjatk Signature Restricted
    edited December 2022

I'm fine, just over paid a bit.

• Reminds me when Microsoft rolled back free Onedrive to 5GB. > @giang said:

@TimboJones said:

ROLLED BACK. My complaint is that I had 50 or 100+GB accrued for various reasons and then it was reduced.

Still have the free Dropbox bonuses from back at the start...

• GlynneGlynne Member
    edited May 2023

I'm glad I found this about Degoo because I'm one of those people who paid a one-off fee for a LIFETIME membership and I'd like to comment on how they treated me.

First to be fair they do have the infrastructure to allow for uploading your files. I had 1TB of 10TB in use. Here's my story.

As of May 2023 Degoo are STILL carrying out the same shady business practices as before. They hide behind a 'bot' who claims you have been uploading and sharing content that you do not own. I first encountered this 'bot' in 2021 when it accused me of this so I uploaded proof which Degoo accepted. However in 2023 I received a message from Degoo claiming the exact same thing with the same content. I replied to explain this to them and this time they claimed my 'appeal' was rejected.

I replied again with additional evidence and explained to them what will happen if they delete my account. They said "Unfortunately, uploading copyrighted materials, even legally purchased ones, is not allowed". This information is going to be used against them because if it is legal to have the files on your computer it is also legal to have a backup of those files. It also does not infringe their own terms and conditions. They may claim it infringes 7.4 but in fact it doesn't since no laws are being broken. Of course if you're sharing copyrighted content it would be a different story.

I will not stand for companies trying to accuse their customers of breach of contract as a way to get out of providing lifetime services.

Here's the longer story..

I paid a one-off fee for a lifetime 10TB Degoo Ultimate subscription and that is exactly what I'm going to get from them unless they want to see the consequences of their actions.

Ironically they do provide the service they claim to provide in that you can upload your content to their site for backup purposes. What you need to watch out for is their company trying to renege on the service you paid for under false pretences. Be sure to do your research and hold their owners to account.

On 17th May 2023 Degoo changed tack and no longer referred to sharing content after I proved that I could not be possibly sharing anything from there.

On 17th May 2023 'Gerry' at Degoo said "Hello, Unfortunately, uploading copyrighted materials, even legally purchased ones, is not allowed. Deleting flagged files after they were found by the copyright bot is not a valid reason to approve an appeal or cancel file deletion. The account is unlocked and any active subscriptions are reinstated. Unfortunately, your files are no longer recoverable. Sincerely, Gerry, Degoo Support"

The problem with Gerry's message is that there is no law against making a backup of your content regardless of whether it is copyrighted (if it's legal on your computer then it's legal in backup form elsewhere). There are of course laws against sharing copyrighted content but my lifetime account with Degoo came with sharing disabled. In the absence of laws the question of whether backing up copyrighted content where the customer has paid for the content comes down to the terms of service. Degoo's terms of service as of 16th May 2023 do not mention the backing up of content which the customer has paid for.

Unfortunately for Degoo I will not let this matter rest until I receive a formal apology from one of their key players for actively trying to close lifetime accounts under false pretences. I shall update this review if I receive such an apology.

In the meantime I have reported the matter to various authorities governing companies such as this in Sweden starting with The Swedish Consumer Agency who have opened a case for the matter. I strongly advise other victims to do the same to stop Degoo doing the same with others. Keep records of your communications with Degoo as evidence.

2021 'violation' https://d.pr/i/grKpcu
    2023 appeal approved https://d.pr/i/veBHr3
    2023 'violation' https://d.pr/i/5qEw8X
    2023 appeal rejection https://d.pr/i/DCnJiq
    Gerry's email https://d.pr/i/thzDCx

Thanked by 1arda
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

i want to get a 10tb lifetime account and upload 10tb of blank files and see how long it takes for their bot to tell me im a dirty pirate

Thanked by 1kasodk
  • mrTommrTom Member

The exact same thing happened to me for some MP3.files that I had legally bought from Amazon. They simply ignored the invoice in my appeal. I fought with them until I received a full refund.

To claim that copyrighted material can't be stored is completely absurd because ANY file you create yourself could be copyrighted. So this "rule" would only be laughed at in court. It would mean they sell a service that actually can not be used, not even for the exact purpose that is advertised.

• Always be wary of "lifetime" deals, the company will do anything to get rid of you if you give them the slightest reason because they already got your money. PCloud has closed many "lifetime" accounts too claiming copyright violation and I think there is no appeal.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2023

Any chance I could watch V? I was only 10 years old when it was on and never managed to watch the end of the series. Diana and Lydia were my favourites.

@Glynne said:
    I'm glad I found this about Degoo because I'm one of those people who paid a one-off fee for a LIFETIME membership and I'd like to comment on how they treated me.

First to be fair they do have the infrastructure to allow for uploading your files. I had 1TB of 10TB in use. Here's my story.

As of May 2023 Degoo are STILL carrying out the same shady business practices as before. They hide behind a 'bot' who claims you have been uploading and sharing content that you do not own. I first encountered this 'bot' in 2021 when it accused me of this so I uploaded proof which Degoo accepted. However in 2023 I received a message from Degoo claiming the exact same thing with the same content. I replied to explain this to them and this time they claimed my 'appeal' was rejected.

I replied again with additional evidence and explained to them what will happen if they delete my account. They said "Unfortunately, uploading copyrighted materials, even legally purchased ones, is not allowed". This information is going to be used against them because if it is legal to have the files on your computer it is also legal to have a backup of those files. It also does not infringe their own terms and conditions. They may claim it infringes 7.4 but in fact it doesn't since no laws are being broken. Of course if you're sharing copyrighted content it would be a different story.

I will not stand for companies trying to accuse their customers of breach of contract as a way to get out of providing lifetime services.

Here's the longer story..

I paid a one-off fee for a lifetime 10TB Degoo Ultimate subscription and that is exactly what I'm going to get from them unless they want to see the consequences of their actions.

Ironically they do provide the service they claim to provide in that you can upload your content to their site for backup purposes. What you need to watch out for is their company trying to renege on the service you paid for under false pretences. Be sure to do your research and hold their owners to account.

On 17th May 2023 Degoo changed tack and no longer referred to sharing content after I proved that I could not be possibly sharing anything from there.

On 17th May 2023 'Gerry' at Degoo said "Hello, Unfortunately, uploading copyrighted materials, even legally purchased ones, is not allowed. Deleting flagged files after they were found by the copyright bot is not a valid reason to approve an appeal or cancel file deletion. The account is unlocked and any active subscriptions are reinstated. Unfortunately, your files are no longer recoverable. Sincerely, Gerry, Degoo Support"

The problem with Gerry's message is that there is no law against making a backup of your content regardless of whether it is copyrighted (if it's legal on your computer then it's legal in backup form elsewhere). There are of course laws against sharing copyrighted content but my lifetime account with Degoo came with sharing disabled. In the absence of laws the question of whether backing up copyrighted content where the customer has paid for the content comes down to the terms of service. Degoo's terms of service as of 16th May 2023 do not mention the backing up of content which the customer has paid for.

Unfortunately for Degoo I will not let this matter rest until I receive a formal apology from one of their key players for actively trying to close lifetime accounts under false pretences. I shall update this review if I receive such an apology.

In the meantime I have reported the matter to various authorities governing companies such as this in Sweden starting with The Swedish Consumer Agency who have opened a case for the matter. I strongly advise other victims to do the same to stop Degoo doing the same with others. Keep records of your communications with Degoo as evidence.

2021 'violation' https://d.pr/i/grKpcu
    2023 appeal approved https://d.pr/i/veBHr3
    2023 'violation' https://d.pr/i/5qEw8X
    2023 appeal rejection https://d.pr/i/DCnJiq
    Gerry's email https://d.pr/i/thzDCx

• SauronSauron Member
    edited May 2023

Their web interface is really a piece of crap. Sometimes it is possible to create a folder, sometimes not, depending on moon phase.