Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bunny Storage, the fastest object storage?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bunny Storage, the fastest object storage?

EthanZouEthanZou Member
edited December 2022 in General

Has anyone tried? Is it true? :|

Comments

• Beware with fast payload delivery: it's unlikely to be sustained very long.

• Tests should be performed by an independent third parties. Minimum 3, certified, with double blind tests. Prepared environments are only for marketing and to fool fools.

• They're comparing apples to oranges. Bunny Storage is replicated, and each additional region costs extra.

The only thing Bunny has added here is GeoDNS which allows them to serve from the closest region. You could realistically do this yourself by just uploading the same files to each of the regions you want and directing your users to the closest region.

Also its highly unlikely they enabled AWS Cloudfront or DigitalOcean CDN, which would significantly reduce latency on common requests. They aren't exactly the same as Bunny Storage (they cache rather than replicate), but this is just a disingenuous comparison overall.

Its funny because they dont include Cloudflare R2 in this, even though it's objectively a much better product without even considering the price, since they can't "turn off" Cloudflare CDN for their shitty comparison table.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Documentation mentions RAID6 being used, and a requirement for replication across regions to achieve high durability. Object stores have no use of RAID and do not require multi-region replication for high durability, so thats a bit strange. Can’t comment on speeds.

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

Started using Bunny storage + CDN for some light file sharing. In terms of TTFB it's considerably faster than Cloudflare (low bar, yes). Mostly around 25ms. I didn't test the storage service only.

• @LTniger said:
    Prepared environments are only for marketing and to fool fools.

Hmm, there is truth in what you say.

• @ehhthing said:
    They're comparing apples to oranges. Bunny Storage is replicated, and each additional region costs extra.

The only thing Bunny has added here is GeoDNS which allows them to serve from the closest region. You could realistically do this yourself by just uploading the same files to each of the regions you want and directing your users to the closest region.

Also its highly unlikely they enabled AWS Cloudfront or DigitalOcean CDN, which would significantly reduce latency on common requests. They aren't exactly the same as Bunny Storage (they cache rather than replicate), but this is just a disingenuous comparison overall.

Its funny because they dont include Cloudflare R2 in this, even though it's objectively a much better product without even considering the price, since they can't "turn off" Cloudflare CDN for their shitty comparison table.

How about Backblaze B2 and Idrive E2?

• @m4nu said:
    Started using Bunny storage + CDN for some light file sharing. In terms of TTFB it's considerably faster than Cloudflare (low bar, yes). Mostly around 25ms. I didn't test the storage service only.

Do Bunny storage and CDN have to be used together and charged separately? or not?

Storage $0.01 /GB
    CDN $0.01 /GB

• @PUSHR_Victor said:
    Documentation mentions RAID6 being used, and a requirement for replication across regions to achieve high durability. Object stores have no use of RAID and do not require multi-region replication for high durability, so thats a bit strange. Can’t comment on speeds.

Humm, how about Backblaze B2 and Idrive E2?

@EthanZou said: Do Bunny storage and CDN have to be used together and charged separately? or not?

You can use them separately. Bunny CDN + S3 or just the storage service would work too.

• EthanZouEthanZou Member
    edited December 2022

@m4nu said:

@EthanZou said: Do Bunny storage and CDN have to be used together and charged separately? or not?

You can use them separately. Bunny CDN + S3 or just the storage service would work too.

So, without Bunny CDN, Bunny storage should not be particularly outstanding, just like B2 or E2, but cost more. :)

@EthanZou said: So, without Bunny CDN, Bunny storage should not be particularly outstanding, just like B2 or E2, but cost more.

You can choose to distribute the storage to different cities for better latency. So it's more geared towards use with CDNs than the others. B2 and E2 are probably better for archiving.

• painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited December 2022

Bunny is very very cool, if you have an app that has lots of text files XML files Php files for example that needs to be read by apps it's literally pennies a day to use service, but if you have lots of large files that need to be downloaded by users can be expensive,
    Lots you can do with bunny now, I mean you can basically use it to run entire website plus you have DNS and custom domain DNS services.

Thanked by 1nick_
  • @m4nu said:

@EthanZou said: So, without Bunny CDN, Bunny storage should not be particularly outstanding, just like B2 or E2, but cost more.

You can choose to distribute the storage to different cities for better latency. So it's more geared towards use with CDNs than the others. B2 and E2 are probably better for archiving.

Thanks.
    As to the regions of S3 Compatible Object Storage, how to get the most suitable one for a website like Flickr with lots of images uploaded by users?

• @painfreepc said:
    Bunny is very very cool, if you have an app that has lots of text files XML files Php files for example that needs to be read by apps it's literally pennies a day to use service, but if you have lots of large files that need to be downloaded by users can be expensive,
    Lots you can do with bunny now, I mean you can basically use it to run entire website plus you have DNS and custom domain DNS services.

Php files? So cool!
    Better than cloudflare?

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2022

Bunny Storage has been getting faster, but I will say that I've gotten faster speeds from Wasabi than I have with Bunny (in the past).

I have noticed slower speeds at times, though, and loading uncached content through Bunny is usually slowish, but the uncached content problem seems to be a problem with most object storage providers.

The Bunny Edge SSD storage might fix this, I'll probably run some tests sometime soon.

I definitely prefer Bunny's object storage compared to the rest of the competition, and I use it to store templates and/or tools for my development environments (and sometimes images).

• @Advin said:
    Bunny Storage has been getting faster,

Without Bunny CDN?

but I will say that I've gotten faster speeds from Wasabi than I have with Bunny (in the past).

Maybe the region of Wasabi you selected have a lower delay for you?