Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what do you use for backups / DR for your hosting servers!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what do you use for backups / DR for your hosting servers!

JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

hey guys!

interested to see what everyone using for backups & DR for there hosting and VM Servers, we have been using WASABI for about 2 years now very solid! , but im sure there other products that would do the job better such as colocating another server in a seperate dc ect whats everyone do!

Thanked by 1plumberg

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Mostly Hetzner storage boxes. One per physical server.

Thanked by 2Erisa plumberg
  • MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran
  • We use a three tier setup.
    Each server has a dedicated hard drive for a local copy stored for 7 days.
    That hard drive is rsync'd over to two backup servers, and stored for 14 days.
    That backup servers are then sent over to cold storage for 30 days.
    Remember RAID is NOT a backup solutions!

• @jar said:

Curious how you approach this: Do you backup your Hetzner servers to Hetzner storage boxes? And if so, do you use a different region for the box?

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • B2

Thanked by 2plumberg nick_
  • JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

@jar that dont soud too great, your surely not backing up hetz server to hetz storage boxes?

@tjn said:
    B2

Backblaze @tjn ?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • Rsync to my hetzner storage box (hot storage) and my local hdd every week (cold storage)

edited December 2022

@Erisa said:

@jar said:

Curious how you approach this: Do you backup your Hetzner servers to Hetzner storage boxes? And if so, do you use a different region for the box?

I'm continuing to backup to Hetzner as I slowly move to OVH, but right now I do prefer my backup in the same DC. A full server failure would take over 3 weeks to restore from backup if it were in another region.

@Jasonhyperhost said:
    @jar that dont soud too great, your surely not backing up hetz server to hetz storage boxes?

Eh. I feel like this is one of those things that people with smaller data sources don't understand well. To be fair, neither did I until I had enough data to get here. Try restoring 4TB in 1800 DirectAdmin accounts with JetBackup across the world without everyone on the server doing a chargeback after the first week of repeating "The restore is running I swear." A backup that can't be restored in a reasonable timeframe isn't much of a backup. Building my own backup system to replace JB would be better but that's a big job, not statistically justifiable right now, and not something to just do just to make things sound better in a forum post.

There's always room to redo and rethink backup strategies, and mine is always under review. But if people are focusing in on my service that was designed to creatively cut corners to attack the common price points of the industry I'm in, I don't think they're thinking clearly if expecting me to have multiple geographically redundant copies of the data. Rather, they should expect me to pick facilities that aren't likely to see major events that take out the entire facilities (read: not shipping containers or other experimental building types) short of a nuclear event.

People would be utterly astounded at how many major corporations would fall if their entire data centers went up in flames with nothing being recovered. Best practice on paper doesn't always align on every issue. I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to have overcome every potential theoretical issue, but it's surely something I continue to work toward within the confines of the business strategy (meaning I won't triple prices to increase redundancy for a benefit of 1% in a particular statistic). At least count on me not lying about it though, as would be very common in this industry ♥️

Side note: I did actually try JetBackup recovery on a system using about 4TB, with 1800 DA accounts, I'm sadly not exaggerating. Their support says it's normal and not a problem to fix. Had they said otherwise, I might have replied differently today. Tomorrow may be different than today, who knows. Change is a pretty reliable constant.

Thanked by 4Erisa emg Arkas greentea
  • Kopia, great piece of backup software

• @Jasonhyperhost said:
    Backblaze @tjn ?

Yes! Great for 3rd location backups to be honest.
    Immutable options, encryption at rest, and it's cheap.
    If I need to download/restore anything I use Cloudflare in front, and it's $0 egress for as much as you can download.

Vs Wasabi, I don't have to worry about egress fees or the 90 day deletion policy - which is ideal because a lot of incremental backups I don't keep for longer than 35 days.

@jar said:
    I did actually try JetBackup recovery on a system using about 4TB, with 1800 DA accounts

3 weeks!!?? That's insane!

I don't use JetBackup - actually looking at using it on a new DA install - but there's got to be a better way?

Thanked by 2jar greentea
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited December 2022

I use jetbackup @jar
    Are you saying that standard DA or cPanel backup system might be better?

What type of backup you were using in JB, was it incremental or full compresss/uncompressed ? Sounds like incremental with many files, right?

Thanked by 1jar
  • emgemg Veteran
    edited December 2022

Read @jar's post carefully. Four posts above this one. It has genuine insights and experience about real-world disaster recovery and business continuity planning.

Thanked by 2jar greentea
  • I use borgbackup from all of my servers (a VM host just backs up config, VMs are backed up separately if important), to a number of destinations. Currently, everything gets backed up to:

• my OVH server KS-LE-1 (with 2x2TB HDD in RAID1)
    • my Hetz dedi (with 2x1.9TB SSD in RAID1)
    • an interserver 1TB box
    • a newly added hosthatch 2TB box
    • a VM on my home router (only a subset as it's only got a 250GB SSD)
    • (mostly retired) a RPi at home with a 2TB external drive

A few of the most important are also backed up to a couple of old VPS that had a reasonable disk allowance.

I use different encryption passwords for each server and destination combo, so I also have to make sure I have a backup copy of those somewhere for when I want to restore things. I've tested out migration/recovery on a small scale when I retired my old 500GB KS-1 and recreated it as a VM on my KS-LE-1.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • ArkasArkas Moderator

My backups are done to my local physical drives. It might be slow and old fashioned but it's safe and it works for me.

Thanked by 2ariq01 ralf

@Hxxx said:
    I use jetbackup @jar

What type of backup you were using in JB, was it incremental or full compresss/uncompressed ? Sounds like incremental with many files, right?

Incremental, not sure off hand if it's compressing but it is encrypting. The default DA backup system is still worse, one by one full account backups transferring every day is just too big of a job at this scale. JetBackup is the most reliable, well performing solution I've had to date but actually restoring it is an incredibly long event. Possibly made worse by maildir (but not necessarily justifying mdbox, which directly harms requests like the one recently made in my offer thread).

Thanked by 1greentea

@jar said:

@Hxxx said:
    I use jetbackup @jar

Incremental, not sure off hand if it's compressing but it is encrypting. The default DA backup system is still worse, one by one full account backups transferring every day is just too big of a job at this scale. JetBackup is the most reliable, well performing solution I've had to date but actually restoring it is an incredibly long event. Possibly made worse by maildir (but not necessarily justifying mdbox, which directly harms requests like the one recently made in my offer thread).

DA's backup tool is so poor, would be great if they could work on optimizing it ,but with DA only 3rd party ones are feesable , we use jetbackup too (Currently) and use wasabi storage its much better than the hetz and ovh storage we used to use, we will soon be moving to a Synology in a seperate DC works on our VM servers well , just need to grab new ones for our hosting servers :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • what is backup?

• For personal stuff I use Kopia as software with iDrive e2 for the storage. At work Velero software (we use GKE) and Google Cloud Storage

• i use iperius backup

• Thanked by 1greentea
  • @jar said:

@Erisa said:

@jar said:

I'm continuing to backup to Hetzner as I slowly move to OVH, but right now I do prefer my backup in the same DC. A full server failure would take over 3 weeks to restore from backup if it were in another region.

@Jasonhyperhost said:

Eh. I feel like this is one of those things that people with smaller data sources don't understand well. To be fair, neither did I until I had enough data to get here. Try restoring 4TB in 1800 DirectAdmin accounts with JetBackup across the world without everyone on the server doing a chargeback after the first week of repeating "The restore is running I swear." A backup that can't be restored in a reasonable timeframe isn't much of a backup. Building my own backup system to replace JB would be better but that's a big job, not statistically justifiable right now, and not something to just do just to make things sound better in a forum post.

There's always room to redo and rethink backup strategies, and mine is always under review. But if people are focusing in on my service that was designed to creatively cut corners to attack the common price points of the industry I'm in, I don't think they're thinking clearly if expecting me to have multiple geographically redundant copies of the data. Rather, they should expect me to pick facilities that aren't likely to see major events that take out the entire facilities (read: not shipping containers or other experimental building types) short of a nuclear event.

People would be utterly astounded at how many major corporations would fall if their entire data centers went up in flames with nothing being recovered. Best practice on paper doesn't always align on every issue. I don't think it's reasonable to expect me to have overcome every potential theoretical issue, but it's surely something I continue to work toward within the confines of the business strategy (meaning I won't triple prices to increase redundancy for a benefit of 1% in a particular statistic). At least count on me not lying about it though, as would be very common in this industry ♥️

Side note: I did actually try JetBackup recovery on a system using about 4TB, with 1800 DA accounts, I'm sadly not exaggerating. Their support says it's normal and not a problem to fix. Had they said otherwise, I might have replied differently today. Tomorrow may be different than today, who knows. Change is a pretty reliable constant.

Do the users/mailboxes become usable as they've finished transferring to the replacement box, or the WHOLE thing needs to be restored, restarted and then everyone is back up? In other words, some lucky bastard is the first account restored and has least amount of downtime vs everyone else.

• https://www.rsync.net/ is very comfy and nicely priced for what they offer.

edited December 2022

@TimboJones said:

@jar said:

@Erisa said:

@jar said:

@Jasonhyperhost said:

Do the users/mailboxes become usable as they've finished transferring to the replacement box, or the WHOLE thing needs to be restored, restarted and then everyone is back up? In other words, some lucky bastard is the first account restored and has least amount of downtime vs everyone else.

Yeah pretty much that, things come back one after another, so whoever is first gets lucky.

Though after my success with full migrations via rsync, the idea of keeping a hot spare server in another DC is more and more appealing. Too high on overhead today, but the market is always shifting. Of course by that time I could be moving toward the death of centralized storage altogether.

Thanked by 2TimboJones greentea
  • Hello Everyone,

With the upcoming release of JetBackup v5.3, we want to share a little bit of insight into some updates that may be relevant to this conversation. One of our primary focuses in JetBackup 5.3.0 is the optimization of the general DR process, part of which is improving our indexing engine. Utilizing a more efficient database management system and updated indexing process, we have observed a significant reduction in the system memory usage as well as faster reindexing of destinations for mission-critical restores and recovery. This means that restoring a DirectAdmin server with thousands of accounts and several terabytes of data will be substantially quicker in JetBackup v5.3 as compared to v5.2.

We want to thank you all for your feedback, and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to reach out!

Best Regards,

JetApps Team

Thanked by 2JamesF greentea
  • We have setup an Acronis Cyber Infrastructure 5-node cluster in each of our locations, and use that as a primary backup solution (each node has dual 10G NICs, SSDs for cache+metadata, SATA drives for storage).

On Acronis we keep backups every 8 hours for a period of 3 days, 7 daily, 8 weekly and 12 monthly restore points.
    The ACI cluster is on-site with our cPanel servers, allowing fast backups / restores.

For off-site backups, we use JetBackup 5 which stores 7 daily backups on Hetzner Storageboxes (different storagebox for every physical server).