Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me choose the best cpu for hosting wordpress websites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hello LET friends :)
I want to host some clients's websites on a dedicated server. Websites are highly optimized and I will use a minimal setup (cloudpanel + cpguard). Dedi provider only offers intel CPUs and I can afford some midrange ones. Which model do you think will do well for faster php and mysql processes?
Thank you so much for voting and sharing your experiences <3

1. The winner?22 votes
    1. E5-2667 V3
        9.09%
    2. E5-2678 V3
      72.73%
    3. E5-2650 V3
      18.18%

Comments

• So saith browser.geekbench.com:
    (1 core, all cores)

e5-2667 v3 - 731, 3167
    e5-2650 v3 - 685, 5917
    e5-2678 v3 - 788, 7913

Hmm.

Thanked by 1mohsengham
  • Much information missing

Which php version?
    Which server?
    Which mysql version?
    Which version of WordPress and theme?
    Any memory and cpu hogging plugins?
    What do the sites run? Blog/ portfolio/ directory site/ woo commerce/ membership site?

Thanked by 2mohsengham nick_
  • @vyas11 said:
    Much information missing

Which php version?
    Which server?
    Which mysql version?
    Which version of WordPress and theme?
    Any memory and cpu hogging plugins?
    What do the sites run? Blog/ portfolio/ directory site/ woo commerce/ membership site?

Php 7.4 and 8
    Nginx
    Mariadb 10.6
    Latest version of wordpress and different themes (woodmart and some custom ones)
    Websites are optimized but you know wordpress can be a nightmare at any time ;-)
    Woocommerce and higj traffic blogs

• Dunno this still relevant, but AFAIK PHP still single threaded so high clock cpu must help a lot on WP

Thanked by 2nick_ mohsengham
  • @ailice said:
    Dunno this still relevant, but AFAIK PHP still single threaded so high clock cpu must help a lot on WP

PHP itself is singlethreaded, but PHP-FPM is spawning multiple PHP processes and because of that it is multithreaded.
    On top of that he is running web server with TLS & database on same server, these will use extra cores. And he is hosting multiple websites on top of that.

He shouldn't look at singlethreaded performance if he has optimized sites like he says.
    He should look at singlethreaded performance if site is heavy (many plugins etc) and execution times are long.

One PHP script execution can't be divided to multiple threads, but PHP-FPM will spawn new PHP process to process incoming requests, like a load balancer.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

It is not possible to suggest you anything unless we don't know how much traffic you have and what is your current resource utilization and with what hardware.
    May be you don't need new server at all or may be you need something more powerful, it primary depends upon traffic you receive.

Thanked by 2mohsengham Arkas
  • @Saahib said:
    It is not possible to suggest you anything unless we don't know how much traffic you have and what is your current resource utilization and with what hardware.
    May be you don't need new server at all or may be you need something more powerful, it primary depends upon traffic you receive.

Traffic indeed, overall and/ or top 3 sites.
    OP also mentioned PHP 7.4
    Might
    Indicate some dependancies for legacy or custom plugins.

But there is of course information that can be shared and then there is information that cannot be.

Thanked by 1mohsengham
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

It depends on what your sites need and how many there will be. The difference in processors is the number of cores and frequency, if there are not many sites, we suggest taking the processor faster, i.e. E5-2667V3, if there are many, then probably so that more E5-2678 v3 cores, 2650 v3 loses in any case, but this is all true if they are all single.
    E5-2650V3 - 10 core 2.30 GHz
    E5-2667V3 - 8 Core 3.20 GHz
    E5-2678 v3 - 12 Core 2.50 GHz

Thanked by 1mohsengham