Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Providers that do not block outbound traffic to SMTP servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Providers that do not block outbound traffic to SMTP servers

Is there a list of lowendbox VPS providers that do not block outbound traffic to SMTP servers. I've spent too much money signing up only to find out when I try that they do not allow connections to SMTP servers.

Comments

• I only want to create my own instance of a Mastodon server. Not doing any spamming or mass marketing activities

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Most hosts should be easy enough to get the restrictions lifted.

Francisco

• Just curious. Did you just try it and it didn't work or did ya open a ticket and have the provider tell ya no?

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

@dmoore said:
    I only want to create my own instance of a Mastodon server. Not doing any spamming or mass marketing activities

You can use 3rd party service for sending emails, most providers here block port 25.

• If it's port 587, there are many providers that don't block it by default, namely Hetzner, LiteServer, Naranjatech, and HostHatch.

• Use port 2525 and use anyone you want.

What Ports Does Mailgun Support?
    Our servers listen on ports 25, 465 (SSL/TLS), 587 (STARTTLS), and 2525.

A few things to note when selecting a port:

Some ISPs block or throttle SMTP port 25. We recommend using port 587 instead.
    Google Compute Engine allows port 2525 for SMTP submission.
    Mailgun IPs change frequently, we do not recommend setting up firewall restrictions against our IP addresses.
    See our SMTP documentation in the Users Manual to learn how to configure the most popular SMTP software and email clients to work with Mailgun.

• stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2022

So it's not just a matter of having a provider not block ports. You need to ensure a clean IP with neutral or good reputation to guarantee email delivery to Big Tech mailboxes.

You also need to ensure that other people on your subnet are not sending mail. If they are, you need to check their reputation too.

Before you buy an IP address, ask them for a sample IP you might get, and then scan your subnet.

Best are actual cloud providers like Vultr $5/mo for 1G RAM server, 1TB BW but they comes with other features such having the ability to destroy an instance, and try another instance, and you will get another IP. Test that. If unclean, destroy instance and try another data center.

Linode, Digital Ocean, and few others are also options you can try this at.

If you end up getting an IP with bad reputation, getting it taken off will be a hassle, and on LET you can't just spin up another server with a different IP, as most providers here don't have such a large infrastructure like DO/Linode/Vultr etc.

I also answered your other related SMTP question. Good luck.

• I use Vultr, it has to open a ticket explaining the use case to unblock the port.

For HostHatch, it's also the same (new customers only).

Thanked by 1stoned
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

Francisco

We are one of those who do not lift the restrictions even upon request because we have to pay 50 euros + VAT for each IP address that ends up in the blacklists (not to mention that even under these conditions we lose our subnets if enough appear lots of SPAM).
    Instead, this is clearly mentioned in the T&C, only those who don't read don't find out.

• @edrebe said:
    I use Vultr, it has to open a ticket explaining the use case to unblock the port.

For HostHatch, it's also the same (new customers only).

I didn't have to! I asked them if they block port 25 and they said not for my account so maybe I'm special and they wanna be my girlfriend.

I just signed up for a new account so I could email their support and ask them. They told me my account was never restricted to begin with.

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

I've had major issues with customers from here ordering and spamming/abusing SMTP.

Most providers here are aware of it, I plan on allowing it with proof of ID or for long-term customers (3-6 months) on non-deal related plans.

• @FlorinMarian said: because we have to pay 50 euros + VAT for each IP address that ends up in the blacklists

This is one of the primary reasons SMTP is blocked. It's a hassle to get unbanned/good rep again. This is another reason why finding cheap servers with clean IPs is hard as spammers buy them and use them to spam.

It's better to use a mail service like mailgun or sendinblue or sendgrid etc.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • @stoned said:

@FlorinMarian said: because we have to pay 50 euros + VAT for each IP address that ends up in the blacklists

This is one of the primary reasons SMTP is blocked. It's a hassle to get unbanned/good rep again. This is another reason why finding cheap servers with clean IPs is hard as spammers buy them and use them to spam.

It's better to use a mail service like mailgun or sendinblue or sendgrid etc.

MXr​​oute

Mailcheap

• @FlorinMarian said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

We are one of those who do not lift the restrictions even upon request because we have to pay 50 euros + VAT for each IP address that ends up in the blacklists (not to mention that even under these conditions we lose our subnets if enough appear lots of SPAM).
    Instead, this is clearly mentioned in the T&C, only those who don't read don't find out.

you are also one of the provider who sees only the profit.. as I read in the other treaths

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@cold said:

@FlorinMarian said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

you are also one of the provider who sees only the profit.. as I read in the other treaths

I don't know who taught you about business, but I tell you from my own experience that customer care brings profits like nothing else does.

If I don't allow abusers in our network, it doesn't mean that I'm only looking for profit, it means that I don't sacrifice 256 IP addresses that cost 1500 euros per year for a VPS of a few euros per month or year:)