Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Price increase 2023 CPanel & Plesk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Price increase 2023 CPanel & Plesk

Comments

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

cPanel it s a luxury panel now

I wonder sometimes, who is willing to pay so much money to use cPanel, because it is very expensive to use

Regards,
    Calin

Thanked by 1Ticaga
  • Another price increase. People who still use it need to be mentally strong.

Thanked by 1Saahib
  • Both have the same owner, Oakley Capital.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I suppose all I can do anymore is lol at this company.

• emgemg Veteran

Slowly boiling the frog.

I have long been curious about the size of the market and the actual complexity of their tools. What would it take for a competitor to displace them?

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • @emg said:
    Slowly boiling the frog.

I have long been curious about the size of the market and the actual complexity of their tools. What would it take for a competitor to displace them?

Personally I prefer DirectAdmin, but cPanel is still the main control panel for most people, I think they're slowly killing it, up'ing the prices, forcing people to use a bland theme. ugh!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I'm pleased to feel great using DA. I don't miss cPanel at all.

@DA_Mark @smtalk do a great, terrific job.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • emgemg Veteran

I have used Plesk, cPanel, and DirectAdmin all from a shared hosting customer point of view. Keep that in mind when you read the rest of this comment. I am an end user, not a provider.

I liked Plesk the best, mostly because it let me create separate accounts for my children that gave them access to their own stuff (domains, websites, email addresses) without having access to the primary domains and email addresses for the family. (In cPanel, any account can do anything with any domain, website, email address.)

I liked cPanel until they broke their user interface recently. I intensely dislike the large solid red bar that takes up 1/3 of the left side of the web page and does nothing. Other user interface changes make it broken and buggy in one browser, and a pain to use in others. The user interface changes were bad. If I had been the responsible manager at cPanel, I would have fired their UI designer, and would be concerned about my own job security as well.

What I like about cPanel is that it lets me backup and restore my email accounts and forwarders. I have few actual email accounts, but over 1,000 forwarders. Migrating from one cPanel service to another is easy, but migrating to something else could be a challenge.

My experience with DirectAdmin is MXroute, which is an email-only provider. MXroute switched from cPanel to DirectAdmin a while ago, and DirectAdmin does not offer a way for end users to backup or restore their email accounts and forwarders. If that existed, I would have dumped the cPanel hosting provider (which I use only for email) and moved everything to my MXroute account. The solution is to write my own backup and restore routines using the DirectAdmin API. Well, I'm old and a little rusty, and don't feel like learning a new programming language and API just to accomplish this one task. It looks like that is what will have to happen, eventually, if I want to save money and dump the cPanel provider to migrate everything to MXroute. Sucks.

The real issue with backup/restore in DirectAdmin is that providers have such backup and restore capabilities, but those features do not trickle down to give end users a backup and restore capability for their own DirectAdmin accounts. Not that I have found, anyway.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2022

@MikeA said:

”We use SPanel and DirectAdmin, which have been the industry standards for web hosting for over a decade”

Is that really true?

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2022

@emg said:

My experience with DirectAdmin is MXroute, which is an email-only provider. MXroute switched from cPanel to DirectAdmin a while ago, and DirectAdmin does not offer a way for end users to backup or restore their email accounts and forwarders. If that existed, I would have dumped the cPanel hosting provider (which I use only for email) and moved everything to my MXroute account. The solution is to write my own backup and restore routines using the DirectAdmin API. Well, I'm old and a little rusty, and don't feel like learning a new programming language and API just to accomplish this one task. It looks like that is what will have to happen, eventually, if I want to save money and dump the cPanel provider to migrate everything to MXroute. Sucks.

The real issue with backup/restore in DirectAdmin is that providers have such backup and restore capabilities, but those features do not trickle down to give end users a backup and restore capability for their own DirectAdmin accounts. Not that I have found, anyway.

Actually, that ability is there in DirectAdmin. It is able to be disabled by the admin at will. The option appears in the Advanced Features menu.

I suspect that MXroute disables it by default as they do not offer any access to the file system or SSH for end users as they are not providing web hosting.

It is also worth noting that MXroute reseller services do offer reseller level access to backups. If you're paying over $10 a month to keep that cPanel service, it may be time to move. :) @emg

Thanked by 1emg
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@emgh said:

@MikeA said:

”We use SPanel and DirectAdmin, which have been the industry standards for web hosting for over a decade”

Is that really true?

Better to PM or ticket about website issues to avoid detailing thread about cPanel price increases. I fixed it.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2022

@BilohBucks said:
    Another price increase. People who still use it need to be mentally strong.

Anyone who still uses it is a plain retard. They have priced themselves out of normal markets too with this increase, if not with the previous one.

Meanwhile the enterprise customers don't even shit that way, so I'm wondering who their audiences are now that even normal providers are looking to ditch it. The price increase is not so bad for the high end hosts, what is bad is the frequency it happens and how unpredictable the hikes will be. Any provider that still uses it, will at least consider alternatives now, since changing platforms will take time and nobody wants to be at mercy of another as this stuff will decide pricing and competition.

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2022

@MikeA said:

@emgh said:

@MikeA said:

Is that really true?

Better to PM or ticket about website issues to avoid detailing thread about cPanel price increases. I fixed it.

You're welcome.

@stefeman said: Anyone who still uses it is a plain retard.

Or just not too concerned with a few bucks?

I work in SEO and A LOT of my clients are solve entrepreneurs with an e-commerce. It's probably my most common type of client.

I can tell you right now I'd bet NONE of them even know what they're paying for hosting, all they know it's that it's basically nothing compared to other spendings related to their website (people & ads).

• Just for historical purposes and comparison, here's cPanel new partner pricing from Sept. 2021:
    cPanel new partner pricing

And their "announcement" about annual price increase:
    cPanel annual price increase

@emg said:
    I have used Plesk, cPanel, and DirectAdmin all from a shared hosting customer point of view

IMO, the best control panel was H-Sphere from PSoft (Positive Software). But it is long gone, unfortunately.
    H-Sphere control panel by PSoft

H-Sphere by by Positive Software hosting control panel

@emg said:
    What I like about cPanel

cPanel also has very good log viewer - that's the feature I didn't see in any other panel.
    Also DirectAdmin seems to store logs in a rather weird way - a .gz archive for each day, not for month.

Thanked by 1kalimov622
  • @emgh said:

@MikeA said:

@emgh said:

@MikeA said:

Is that really true?

You're welcome.

I work in SEO and A LOT of my clients are solve entrepreneurs with an e-commerce. It's probably my most common type of client.

I can tell you right now I'd bet NONE of them even know what they're paying for hosting, all they know it's that it's basically nothing compared to other spendings related to their website (people & ads).

Like I said, its not the pricing but the rate they are increasing it.

• @stefeman said:

@emgh said:

@MikeA said:

@emgh said:

@MikeA said:

Is that really true?

You're welcome.

Like I said, its not the pricing but the rate they are increasing it.

Since the vast majority have no knowledge of what they pay (I’d guess), I’m sure they do not have any knowledge of the rate cPanel is highering prices as well.

Especially since huge clients to cPanel (hosts where normal, non LET-people, are clients) have a totally different pricing structure (I’d bet).

• @emgh said:

@MikeA said:

Is that really true?

DirectAdmin is mostly used in the past decade because of lifetime license.

• @emg said: What would it take for a competitor to displace them?

To be fair, without fanboyzm, I see these cPanel strong sides:

1. Corporate support. cPanel support is the best I have encountered (I speak about corporate support, probably some sort of "premium" variant);
    2. Superior UI/UX to competition. They dictate layout, others just follow;
    3. Still vast market of integration with cPanel. One of them are WHMCS. Superior integration;
    4. Team size. cPanel is big zepelin, they adopt features fast, have ability to test more;
    5. Granular and clear reseller management;

Overall, if market allows them to pull such stunts with outrages price increase - their clientele needs them vs others. Small players (sub 100 000 accounts) cry a lot, but they are not cPanel clients and this is good. Segmentation.

• I forgot about this annual suffering with panel price increases from WebPros after I switched to ispmanager. It is a great functional hosting panel with versions for all occasions for a reasonable price.

• @akwden said: ispmanager

what are they actually offering in that pricing?

• @aakashmishra007 said:
    what are they actually offering in that pricing?

Just check their official site ispmanager dot com
    You can find all information there.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Gotta love it