Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help - IPv6 - AlmaLinux 9.1 - HostHatch - NY
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help - IPv6 - AlmaLinux 9.1 - HostHatch - NY

Hiya, I am trying to configure Ipv6 on HostHatch NY running the legacy Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz.... I am running AlmaLinux 9.1

I enabled Ipv6 from cloud.hosthatch.com, and it provided me a /64 subnet. I used nmtui and added the same.

IP: 2605:4840:2:3e72::1/64
Gateway: fe80::1
DNS: 2001:4860:4860::8888

Here is the output of ip -6 a.... Restarted NetworkManager.service too

[root@localhost ~]# ip -6 a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 state UNKNOWN qlen 1000
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: ens3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 state UP qlen 1000
    inet6 2605:4840:2:3e72::1/64 scope global noprefixroute
    inet6 fe80::216:3cff:fed3:a56/64 scope link noprefixroute

what am I doing wrong here? How to fix it? Any help is appreciated.

Also, beats me, how did the second inet6 fe80 got added.. It was there already.

Thanks

Comments

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited December 2022

Did you set up the v6 default route? ip -6 r

Also, beats me, how did the second inet6 fe80 got added.. It was there already.

Link-local address, you usually don't need to fuck around with that one.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Looks good, what does "ping fe80::1%ens3" give?

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Does your server have this IPv6/64 available? if you don't have it you need to configure it in ifcfg-eth0

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • The fe80::1 network is an internal network it will be available by default so you don't need to worry about this and it's not a public network, all you need to do is add the public IPv6 network configuration.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • I was able to solve it on my systems by using a /48 and in your case gateway

2605:4840:2::1/48

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@vivucloud said:
    Does your server have this IPv6/64 available? if you don't have it you need to configure it in ifcfg-eth0

@vivucloud said:
    The fe80::1 network is an internal network it will be available by default so you don't need to worry about this and it's not a public network, all you need to do is add the public IPv6 network configuration.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • vivucloudvivucloud Member
    edited December 2022

add this configuration to your server if-eth0 file:
    IPV6INIT=yes
    IPV6_PEERROUTES="yes"
    IPV6_PRIVACY="no"
    IPV6_AUTOCONF="yes"
    IPV6_DEFROUTE="yes"
    IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL="no"
    IPV6ADDR=2605:4840:2:3e72::1/64
    IPV6_DEFAULTGW=2605:4840:2::1
    Please substitute the lines to suit your server.

restart the network and retest the IPv6 connection.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • https://docs.hosthatch.com/networking/

If there's any typo's, they're okay with getting tickets to fix that since it overall will prevent more issues for all.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @nobizzle said:
    I was able to solve it on my systems by using a /48 and in your case gateway

@vivucloud said:
    IPV6INIT=yes
    IPV6_PEERROUTES="yes"
    IPV6_PRIVACY="no"
    IPV6_AUTOCONF="yes"
    IPV6_DEFROUTE="yes"
    IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL="no"

Setting the gateway to 2605:4840:2::1 works!

@TimboJones said:
    https://docs.hosthatch.com/networking/

If there's any typo's, they're okay with getting tickets to fix that since it overall will prevent more issues for all.

It probably needs more refinement. I tried following the instructions and they didnt work...

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited December 2022

@plumberg said:

@nobizzle said:

@vivucloud said:
    IPV6INIT=yes
    IPV6_PEERROUTES="yes"
    IPV6_PRIVACY="no"
    IPV6_AUTOCONF="yes"
    IPV6_DEFROUTE="yes"
    IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL="no"

@TimboJones said:

It probably needs more refinement. I tried following the instructions and they didnt work...

Did you reboot when it worked? I find changing through nmtui doesn't work without reboot. I think even just systemctl network restart isn't good enough and reboot required. I can test next week.

• @TimboJones said:

@plumberg said:

@nobizzle said:

@vivucloud said:
    IPV6INIT=yes
    IPV6_PEERROUTES="yes"
    IPV6_PRIVACY="no"
    IPV6_AUTOCONF="yes"
    IPV6_DEFROUTE="yes"
    IPV6_FAILURE_FATAL="no"

@TimboJones said:

Did you reboot? I find changing through nmtui doesn't work without reboot.

All my changes went into effect without Reboot. Just restarting the services helped.

Thanked by 2TimboJones skorous
  • stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2022

The gateway is usually the /48, so if block or ipv6 == a:b:c:d::1/64 then gateway would usually be a:b:c::1 but sometimes they're different, like a:b:c:d:ff:ff:ff:ff etc.

fe80 is link local address and is always assigned when ipv6 enabled iface comes up.

OVH does like FF:FF:FF:FF gateway, and I found most everyone else does /48 as gateway.

Glad you got it working. I have a HH storage in LA I have to configure for ipv6. So this was helpful.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @stoned said:
    The gateway is usually the /48, so if block or ipv6 == a:b:c:d::1/64 then gateway would usually be a:b:c::1 but sometimes they're different, like a:b:c:d:ff:ff:ff:ff etc.

fe80 is link local address and is always assigned when ipv6 enabled iface comes up.

OVH does like FF:FF:FF:FF gateway, and I found most everyone else does /48 as gateway.

Glad you got it working. I have a HH storage in LA I have to configure for ipv6. So this was helpful.

This is good to know about how gateways are typically setup.

Glad this helped!

• Unlike IPv4, IPv6 requires a link-local address on every network interface on which the IPv6 protocol is enabled, even when routable addresses are also assigned.

Consequently, IPv6 hosts usually have more than one IPv6 address assigned to each of their IPv6-enabled network interfaces. The link-local address is required for IPv6 sublayer operations of the Neighbor Discovery Protocol, as well as for some other IPv6-based protocols, such as DHCPv6.

Usually /48 is the gateway, usually, not always, because /48 is the minimum recommended as it is routed globally in the BGP.

/64 is the common size for a subnet assigned to any customer, out of the provider's /48 or sometimes a /36

Assigning each site a /48 at minimum provides 65,000 /64s, and the /48 is divided out of the /36 or the /32 (for ISP levels)

A /48 is the smallest Internet routable IPv6 prefix, so it reasons it will be the gateway for all 65k /64s

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still learning.

Thanked by 2plumberg TimboJones