Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can Proxmox be run on a KVM with nested virtualization?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can Proxmox be run on a KVM with nested virtualization?

If I get a KVM with nested virt can proxmox be used to create and managed the nested VMs?

Comments

• RapToNRapToN Member, Host Rep

Yes it could :)

Without nested virt it should also be possible to use proxmox with lxc instead of kvm, but with nested it works like on a dedicated System.

Thanked by 2k9banger02 Maounique
  • @RapToN said:

Without nested virt it should also be possible to use proxmox with lxc instead of kvm, but with nested it works like on a dedicated System.

How does LXC differ from KVM?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Yes, performance is close to host, stable too.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2022

@k9banger02 said:

@RapToN said:

How does LXC differ from KVM?

There are literally tonnes of articles online for that but still, in layman language :

• KVM Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a hypervisor built into the Linux core. KVM is a virtualization technology similar to what is offered by VirtualBox or VMWare. The hypervisor emulates all the material. Thus, the operating system believes it is running on a physical machine. It is, therefore, possible to install an operating system without alteration.
    • LXC (Linux Containers) is another virtualization technology that is also integrated into the Linux core. However, it uses isolation to separate the performance of each machine. Compared to KVM, the hardware is not emulated; the host system shares it. Thus, each Virtual Machine uses the same core. It would therefore be impossible to install MS Windows in an LXC container. LXC is a virtualization technology similar to what is offered by OpenVZ and Docker.
    Thanked by 2bdl ariq01
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

Can you nest a kvm with proxmox, on the nested kvm, on the kvm? ;) ;)

That would be kinda ... Funny :)

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @PulsedMedia said:

would you like some tea instead ?

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • I run a PBS (Proxmox backup server) on a vm, which is setup under another proxmox.
    Works fine for storing backup for a bunch of proxmox servers.
    But I would not run anything heavy on proxmox in a vm

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@ehab said:

@PulsedMedia said:

would you like some tea instead ?

Thanked by 1ehab
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@trungkien said: I run a PBS (Proxmox backup server) on a vm, which is setup under another proxmox.

It is Proxmoxes all the way down.

Thanked by 1trungkien
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

LXC/D is a mature technology and things like passing various devices to the container from the host work pretty well and I must say I prefer this method rather than KVM passthrough.
    Of course, YMMV but, for most usage cases where linux is involved, I found LXC to be sufficient and fast.

• stonedstoned Member
    edited December 2022

Proxmox needs it's own kernel so you can't use it in an LXC container, but inside a KVM or QEMU or Vbox or VMWARE machine with nested virt it will run fine. Even without nested virt, it will work as an LXC container manager inside a virtual machine.

I use PVE inside virtualbox at home and it's fine. Then PVE runs containers and other VMs and they're fine too.

Thanked by 1k9banger02
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2022

@stoned said: Proxmox needs it's own kernel so you can't use it in an LXC container

That is not what i meant, the idea is that you can run proxmox in a vm even without nested virtualization as containers don't need it.
    Well, even VMs don't need if you run qemu without virt support enabled, but that is torture for everyone :P