Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS 10 Gbps (unlimited bandwidth) *per node*.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS 10 Gbps (unlimited bandwidth) *per node*.

First of all, I know that the prices will be somewhat expensive, I will comment on my situation.

I currently run a very simple competition / twitch site, I have around a thousand to two thousand users on average and although I know that I could use cheaper alternatives like cloudflare + R2 ( with cache )

I want to make my own "CDN" a bit cheap I know the prices will be a bit high.

I will comment more or less what I am looking for, I would also like to know if it is possible or you see it impossible.

Each node (VPS) must have a 10 Gbit/s link and unlimited bandwidth, I don't care if the 10 Gbit/s can't be guaranteed constantly. It is also not important to me if no uptime guarantee policy (~95%) is offered.

My idea is to buy a couple of nodes and create a CDN for scaling, and little by little I will be able to increase it.

The estimated traffic of my current site is 2PB per month (sometimes it varies a little, occasionally in December the traffic will always go up a little).

I have tried many things, tried many platforms and I am a bit tired of having to pay such high fees from providers like google cloud, amazon web services or similar.

and although I know it's difficult to make your own CDN, I'm not looking for anything professional.

my intention is simply to put up front ceph or min.io with all the nodes and active security on disks and with expiration policies on the nodes cache.

I will be grateful if you can help me or give me some idea, or just tell me if it is impossible and I have to pay such high prices for bandwidth

Comments

• xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

Each node (VPS) must have a 10 Gbit/s link and unlimited bandwidth, I don't care if the 10 Gbit/s can't be guaranteed constantly. It is also not important to me if no uptime guarantee policy (~95%) is offered.

It's really impossible for VPS to handle 10Gbps bandwidth, you'd better to use a dedicated server instead.

Thanked by 1k4zz
  • @xTom said:

It's really impossible for VPS to handle 10Gbps bandwidth, you'd better to use a dedicated server instead.

Hi thanks for replying, yes it is possible to handle 10 Gbps in a vps as long as it is prepared for it (disk is optimal, enough memory and cpu).

Thanked by 1Hayashima
  • @miia said:

@xTom said:

Hi thanks for replying, yes it is possible to handle 10 Gbps in a vps as long as it is prepared for it (disk is optimal, enough memory and cpu).

But you'd need to share this 10 Gbps with everyone else on the node unless the physical connection is more than 10 Gbps.

• @mwt said:

@miia said:

@xTom said:

But you'd need to share this 10 Gbps with everyone else on the node unless the physical connection is more than 10 Gbps.

Of course, that's why I said I don't care if 10 Gbit/s can't be guaranteed.

• miiamiia Member
    edited December 2022

@mwt said:

@miia said:

@xTom said:

As long as you can guarantee me 1 or 2 Gbit/s and 7-8 Gbit/s for a couple of hours I don't mind, I will manage it later with the scripts.

• @miia said:

@mwt said:

@miia said:

@xTom said:

As long as you can guarantee me 1 or 2 Gbit/s and 10 Gbit/s or 7-8 Gbit/s for a couple of hours I don't mind, I will manage it later with the scripts.

Terrahost will let you use 1Gbit/s average and burst to 10Gbit/s. This seems like a bit more than this though.

• @mwt said:

@miia said:

@mwt said:

@miia said:

@xTom said:

As long as you can guarantee me 1 or 2 Gbit/s and 10 Gbit/s or 7-8 Gbit/s for a couple of hours I don't mind, I will manage it later with the scripts.

Terrahost will let you use 1Gbit/s average and burst to 10Gbit/s. This seems like a bit more than this though.

as long as there is no problem for a constant usage of 1-2 Gbit/s (and sometimes a bit more for a few hours) for mp4 or HLS files (nginx / traefik).

and allows to compose kubernetes or docker I don't see the problem. I will take a look at your site and your policies

• I am not affiliated with @terrahost

• @mwt said:
    I am not affiliated with @terrahost

oh sorry, I'll check the website

• 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

Your best bet would be dedicated servers for that kind of bandwidth.

• @1gservers said:

I have not seen 10 Gbits dedicated servers for less than $300 USD.

• @1gservers said:

what i am looking for is to make a "very basic cdn", basically to have many small vps with cache storage managing the files.

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

If you mean unmetered 10gbps true. However providers such as ourselves offer 10gbps dedicated including traffic starting at 200TB for much less than that. But if you want true unmetered with dedicated pipe doesn’t go that cheap.

• @1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

If you mean unmetered 10gbps true. However providers such as ourselves offer 10gbps dedicated including traffic starting at 200TB for much less than that. But if you want true unmetered with dedicated pipe doesn’t go that cheap.

what would you recommend, cloudflare sometimes recommend me to pay $5,200 dollars a month to upgrade cloudflare enterprise.

I do not want to spend a lot of money, I also know that it will not be cheap, I am looking for a more economical option than what is offered by providers such as the one mentioned above.

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

what would you recommend, cloudflare sometimes recommend me to pay $5,200 dollars a month to upgrade cloudflare enterprise.

I do not want to spend a lot of money, I also know that it will not be cheap, I am looking for a more economical option than what is offered by providers such as the one mentioned above.

I may be biased, and I’m not sure of your budget, but for example a dedicated server with us can be had under $600/mo with 10gbps dedicated unmetered by following our specials or contacting us. That’s far cheaper than the cloud players and you get dedicated CPU power to boot. Whether or not that is suitable for you would depend upon your overall budget and user locations vs server location.

You could always start with one then get another from a server provider in another region later.

But if your budget is $300/mo and you need to push 2 PB each month that’s going to be challenging even on a VPS

• @1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

I may be biased, and I’m not sure of your budget, but for example a dedicated server with us can be had under $600/mo with 10gbps dedicated unmetered by following our specials or contacting us. That’s far cheaper than the cloud players and you get dedicated CPU power to boot. Whether or not that is suitable for you would depend upon your overall budget and user locations vs server location.

You could always start with one then get another from a server provider in another region later.

But if your budget is $300/mo and you need to push 2 PB each month that’s going to be challenging even on a VPS

no my budget is not $300 it could be $1.500 or $2.500 really, the only thing that matters to me is that my users (approximately 1,000 - 2,000 users can see the videos properly) and to be able to scale easily (adding another server) that it is not extremely expensive, I don't know if I'm explaining myself well

• just wonder how could 2k users consume 2PB/month which on average 1T/mo/user...

Thanked by 1AXYZE

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

no my budget is not $300 it could be $1.500 or $2.500 really, the only thing that matters to me is that my users (approximately 1,000 - 2,000 users can see the videos properly) and to be able to scale easily (adding another server) that it is not extremely expensive, I don't know if I'm explaining myself well

Your budget would get you likely 2-3 10gbps unmetered dedicated servers with us. You could even get from multiple providers and get a server from each to get servers in multiple regions if that is important to you.

If your video bitrate is around 1-10mbps the physical location of the server may not even matter much with proper tweaking.

I’m only saying this so you know what’s realistic on the dedicated side. We have many clients with 10gbps unmetered servers pushing video and other content, so it’s not like you’d be the only one doing this, or doing something groundbreaking.

• @capric98 said:
    just wonder how could 2k users consume 2PB/month which on average 1T/mo/user...

there are usually more, this is the average, but sometimes there are 15,000 or sometimes there are 500, this is an average.

• @capric98 said:
    just wonder how could 2k users consume 2PB/month which on average 1T/mo/user...

depends a lot on which user is doing direct

• @1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

Your budget would get you likely 2-3 10gbps unmetered dedicated servers with us. You could even get from multiple providers and get a server from each to get servers in multiple regions if that is important to you.

If your video bitrate is around 1-10mbps the physical location of the server may not even matter much with proper tweaking.

I’m only saying this so you know what’s realistic on the dedicated side. We have many clients with 10gbps unmetered servers pushing video and other content, so it’s not like you’d be the only one doing this, or doing something groundbreaking.

hm if you can guarantee me 2PB of bandwidth for 1,000 average users (with peaks of 7,000 or 8,000 some situations can I see your company's prices, plans and so on?

or tell me which servers they would be to check them out

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

hm if you can guarantee me 2PB of bandwidth for 1,000 average users (with peaks of 7,000 or 8,000 some situations can I see your company's prices, plans and so on?

The limit is what the the hardware will do in combo with a 10gbps port. There are few true guarantees in this world, but I can say with an unmetered bandwidth server there are no overage fees. I can steer you in the right direction. Can you tell me more? For example is the content being served on disk, or are we talking about live streaming?

In regards to max simultaneous users, keep in mind the main limit would be 10,000 mbps divided by video bitrate. So if the video bitrate is 1mbps in theory it could support nearly 10,000 simultaneous users, minus network overhead. That’s a theoretical max assuming no transcoding and no disk I/O.

If you could tell me more about how your platform works I can help more.

• @1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

The limit is what the the hardware will do in combo with a 10gbps port. There are few true guarantees in this world, but I can say with an unmetered bandwidth server there are no overage fees. I can steer you in the right direction. Can you tell me more? For example is the content being served on disk, or are we talking about live streaming?

In regards to max simultaneous users, keep in mind the main limit would be 10,000 mbps divided by video bitrate. So if the video bitrate is 1mbps in theory it could support nearly 10,000 simultaneous users, minus network overhead. That’s a theoretical max assuming no transcoding and no disk I/O.

they are live videos, the encoding is done by aws but it provides static files after a few seconds, this goes to cache servers, so I only need cache as we mainly store mp4 files (security no more, normally not used only in extreme cases) and HLS with no encryption key or security for now, so we need a disk that can withstand the operations per second and the read width for 10Gbit/s

videos have a maximum bitrate of 7.5 Mbit/s but most users stream at 3.5 Mbit/s at 720p and 1080p depending on what they are doing at the moment. (some are just reacting to their discord channels and don't need much bitrate).

• @miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

they are live videos, the encoding is done by aws but it provides static files after a few seconds, this goes to cache servers, so I only need cache as we mainly store mp4 files (security no more, normally not used only in extreme cases) and HLS with no encryption key or security for now, so we need a disk that can withstand the operations per second and the read width for 10Gbit/s

videos have a maximum bitrate of 7.5 Mbit/s but most users stream at 3.5 Mbit/s at 720p and 1080p depending on what they are doing at the moment. (some are just reacting to their discord channels and don't need much bitrate).

--

currently we have a lot of over infrastructure and misconfigurations by providers who cannot guarantee us the resources, sometimes we require zetservers where we have about 50-100 small servers.

but our main router is cloudflare and occasionally cloudfront (aws).

Thanked by 1msallak1
  • DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@miia What location are you looking at truly?
    Do you have an idea where majority of your clients are coming from?
    2PB/Month is roughly 6Gbps/sustained.

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

Thanks. What is the total disk space requirement?

edited December 2022

@1gservers said:

Depending on majority of the users locations. I think a dedicated or colo would be good for this potential client.
    SSDs/NVMe are cheap enough and would be more than enough for quick deployment of video (lower buffer).

And is what we more geared https://my2.dataideas.com/store/intel-xeon-storage-vps-dedicated-cpu for on file deployment.

• @DataIdeas-Josh said:

https://imgur.com/a/sy4Nq9M if that we have more or less 6 Gbps, sometimes we reach 20 Gbps but it is momentary.

• @1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

@miia said:

@1gservers said:

20 Tb, we manage the space and send to the cache what is necessary, usually not exceeding 20 Tb.

@miia said:

@DataIdeas-Josh said:

https://imgur.com/a/sy4Nq9M if that we have more or less 6 Gbps, sometimes we reach 20 Gbps but it is momentary.

Cloudflare should give you an idea of where majority of your traffic is coming from.