Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Data privacy on dedi servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Data privacy on dedi servers

Hello! If I have a dedicated server, is it safe that keep sensitive data on that (e.g. password manager, SSH private keys and personal documents)? I know that all ISPs have their privacy policy but people works with disks, so for example, if one of my disks damaged or my server had other problems, the person who replaces the damaged part can access that. What do you think about is it a danger on a dedicated server? How can I keep sensitive data more than a 7Zip installed on a fresh Debian?

Comments

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Setup disk encryption. Look into the other thread where people are actively discussing about me, though it's more oriented on VPS's

• All at your own risk.

• @FatGrizzly said:
    Setup disk encryption. Look into the other thread where people are actively discussing about me, though it's more oriented on VPS's

Thanks. I check it!:)

• In terms of dedicated servers, a good provider will replace disks regularly, when a disk fails, they should tell the customer they will replace, NOT the customer submits a ticket and say the disk is broken.

After they get that disk out, they should take a picture and schedule a date for the disk to be destroyed, after destruction, they should submit another picture with the details labeled to prove the disk is really destroyed. Then they should provide an option to ship the destroyed disk back to you.

This is how one of my dedicated server provider works. They really impressed me with how they treat other people's data/disks! Because I think most providers won't do this.

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @Hayashima said:
    In terms of dedicated servers, a good provider will replace disks regularly, when a disk fails, they should tell the customer they will replace, NOT the customer submits a ticket and say the disk is broken.

After they get that disk out, they should take a picture and schedule a date for the disk to be destroyed, after destruction, they should submit another picture with the details labeled to prove the disk is really destroyed. Then they should provide an option to ship the destroyed disk back to you.

This is how one of my dedicated server provider works. They really impressed me with how they treat other people's data/disks! Because I think most providers won't do this.

out of curiosity what provider was this?

• @Hayashima said:
    In terms of dedicated servers, a good provider will replace disks regularly, when a disk fails, they should tell the customer they will replace, NOT the customer submits a ticket and say the disk is broken.

This is OVH Kimsufi. It is a low-end way so I must replace the money with own knowletge and solutions:D. BTW you're right but I think that this management more than 20 Euros per month.

• @Zyra said:

@Hayashima said:

out of curiosity what provider was this?

Managedway

• @adns said: This is OVH Kimsufi.

They physically destroy broken HDDs I think, and I would assume that they zero disks that have been sent for check/repair but not sure. Encryption either of the full system or only of the partition where you store your data would be an option. Keep in mind that while it's unlocked, an attacker who can access your server (i.e. 0day in the software you use) might access your data, even though it's encrypted at rest.

Thanked by 1adns