Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers/ abuse question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers/ abuse question

gMan33gMan33 Member
edited December 2022 in General

Let's say you want to start a VPs/hosting small company , and you are reselling from the big ones. Obviously you filter customers at the beginning . But what happens if one of the customers start doing crap on your servers. Are you legally responsible for that ?( Will the police arrest you ) Probably you will know about this issue , from your Big provider , do they suspend all your accounts/servers etc or they just send a warning ? What if the situation is repeated ?How does that works ?

Comments

• From my understanding you as a service provider (to your end-customer) are not liable for what the customer is doing on your service. Unless you aid and abet, and support the customer doing so-called crap/illegal business.

Some providers are relaxed when it comes to abuse complaints, others will suspend business with you at the first notices. Make sure to inquire at your provider how they handle abuse complaints.
    If you are showing you are capable and willing to handle abuse complaints in a professional and adequate way that would help to get trust from the provider you are using for your business.

Thanked by 1gMan33
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

You should prevent this scenario from ever happening.
    I would have firewall rules in place so that customers can only send 2 packets per second and the only packet type allowed is ICMPv6.
    It's impossible to send spam or host objectionable websites from my network.

Thanked by 1gMan33
  • Usually they report you to the police, make sure you answer any knocking on your door fast! Really annoying when they put it through to seize your PC!

Also, make sure you backup your hdd regularly and store in your prison pouch as you'll be needing the files as proof! GLWS

• @yoursunny said:
    I would have firewall rules in place so that customers can only send 2 packets per second and the only packet type allowed is ICMPv6.

What about ICMPv9?

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @yoursunny said:

People are always creative about bypassing firewalls etc , and you can't certainly calculate all the possible options , besides spam there are many other things. Thanks for your answer

• I will press on them and u will happy. The 1 feet pines awaits.

• Wrong tab