Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to secure my email server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to secure my email server

Hi,
I am using mxroute as my email server and I have only 1 domain setup.
Mxroute service is really good and has nothing to complain about.
Yesterday one of my email id was used in sending spams and the domain name used in sending spam has no connection with me and it's also not added as a domain in mxroute but one of my email ids was used to authenticate the unknown domain to send spam emails.

I would like to know how to secure my email ids from sending spam and to block unknown domains from sending mails from my mxroute domain ?

Any help would be really helpful and as of now I have changed my email id password, is there any thing else I should do ?

Comments

• Google SPF. Also make sure you have a DKIM record set up for your domain.

Look here: https://community.mxroute.com/t/beginners-guide-to-setting-up-mxroute-with-gmail/629

Thanked by 1kathir
  • @ralf I already added SPF and DKIM.

• alentoalento Member, Host Rep

@kathir said: one of my email ids was used to authenticate the unknown domain to send spam emails.

Insure that you are using a complex password which contains at least 16 characters with upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special symbols. Also insure that your password contains NO dictionary words as well as no part of the associated user name. Never reuse a password on more than one site.

All of this is basic password security. An aspect that far too many people overlook.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

The best way to secure your mail server from any attacks and any issues is to use the following ssh command:
    shutdown –h
    or
    shutdown –p

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

It could be just as much about password security as an antivirus. The two most common ways that email passwords are obtained are credential stuffing and viruses.

Thanked by 1kathir