Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favourite chat protocol?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your favourite chat protocol?

vitalis3vitalis3 Member
edited November 2022 in General

Trying to get some statistics.

Which protocol?
  1. Which protocol?69 votes
    1. IRC
      31.88%
    2. Jabber/XMPP
      11.59%
    3. Closed-source garbage (discord, reddit, slack, etc)
      56.52%

Comments

• rocket.chat

• Ohh, and matrix element too.

• @kend said:
    Ohh, and matrix element too.

The matrix protocol is horribly inefficient. Ask @Erisa, if you want an example.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    • IRC - To communicate with oldschool Internet friends and celebrities.
    • Discord - For LE* friends.
    • Teams (previously Jabber and Skype) - For work/colleagues.
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I have my own chat protocol based on Named Data Networking:
    https://github.com/yoursunny/NDNts-chat

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • IRC libera.chat

Oh wait...

• WhatsApp!

• CabbageCabbage Member
    edited November 2022

Currently sticking to Matrix because it's the only one that:
    a. Is open source
    b. Supports encrypted chat (as a core feature)
    c. Allows said encrypted chat to be sent using SDK easily. Compared to alternatives, at least.

God, their matrix-js-sdk is incredibly frustrating to use, especially combined with encryption and device verification. Like, it's their main selling point, but there's no proper docs on how to set them up. Also hate how room settings and all kind of non-chat stuff are grouped up with room chat under room event.

• @Cabbage said: God, their matrix-js-sdk is incredibly frustrating to use, especially combined with encryption and device verification. Like, it's their main selling point, but there's no proper docs on how to set them up. Also hate how room settings and all kind of non-chat stuff are grouped up with room chat under room event.

Yep, and the protocol is atrocious.

• I must have been living under a rock because I've never heard of Matrix.
    I'm still rocking IRC.

Thanked by 2netomx MrH
  • Mattermost , I'm pretty happy with it and I use it also as a discord alternative to communicate with friends while gaming.
    https://github.com/mattermost/

• ArkasArkas Moderator

WEaselChat is good but pricey so I think I'll stick with TinyWeaselChat.

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

IRC, still meaning to try Matrix sometime, and Telegram is the least bad from the centralized ones, at least there are FOSS clients.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Skype is so shit nowadays - Microsoft Teams better, telegram or status

• IRC since '95, and my favorite client is weechat

Carlin0 on irc.libera.chat
    Carlin0 on irc.oftc.net

• IRC is good.

Thanked by 1Carlin0
  • @mooverse said:
    IRC is good.

• fartfart Member
    edited January 2023

Is there some kind of “prophecy of the weasel” I’m missing out on, or do threads take random deviations like this over here?

Personally my preference is for Slack.

• @supriyo_biswas said: Is there some kind of “prophecy of the weasel” I’m missing out on, or do threads take random deviations like this over here?

A while ago, a user named @tinyweasel was making dramas on LET and IRC. Some people think that he DDoSed some users. Every few weeks he come back to LET with his another account. He always asking the same questions.

To be honest, I don't quite understand why he got banned.

Thanked by 2MrH Ganonk
  • aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

Slack & Telegram for business
    Discord for community and friends
    Text for friends and family

• fsirc

• @DRamza said: fsirc

fail

• @inland said: fail

I know right! No different than all the other projects.

• @Hotmarer said:

@supriyo_biswas said: Is there some kind of “prophecy of the weasel” I’m missing out on, or do threads take random deviations like this over here?

A while ago, a user named @tinyweasel was making dramas on LET and IRC. Some people think that he DDoSed some users. Every few weeks he come back to LET with his another account. He always asking the same questions.

He was annoying AF.

• @Hotmarer said:

@supriyo_biswas said: Is there some kind of “prophecy of the weasel” I’m missing out on, or do threads take random deviations like this over here?

Forgot to mention the part where he sent fake bomb threats impersonating BuyVM.

• DRamzaDRamza Member
    edited January 2023

@TimboJones said:

@Hotmarer said:

He was annoying AF.

He is still here.. say hi to @inland

• AOL Instant Messenger

• @ehhthing said:

@Hotmarer said:

Forgot to mention the part where he sent fake bomb threats impersonating BuyVM.

After all, it happens to everyone to send a fake bomb threats.

• @Hotmarer said:

we <3 your sign 😇

Thanked by 1Hotmarer
This discussion has been closed.