Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Min spec for a single user Plex server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Min spec for a single user Plex server?

I am looking to setup a Plex server for just one user. Will be accessed from Asia, would prefer to keep server in Europe.

720-1080 videos. 4-8GB size max. I am planning to move media files to this server via Syncthing from another server and Syncthing doesn’t need much resources. I would be happy if I can keep even 20-30GB of content at once.

What should I be looking for in terms of VPS RAM, CPU, storage (SSD preferred? Would shoot up the price) etc?

Comments

• dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited November 2022

You can easily achieve this on a single core 2GB machine. SSD would be nice. More cores would help with any transcoding but generally speaking for a single user that would suffice.

Thanked by 1Devil
  • if you dont transcode even raspberry pi from 6 years ago works fine

Thanked by 1Devil
  • If you don’t need transcoding and will play only on apps (not browsers) then even a low powered VPS would work. I’m running one successfully on a server with 1GB RAM, 1 vCPU, HDD

Thanked by 1Devil
  • KS 1 is a good Move for a plex with 2TB hdd

Thanked by 1Devil
  • @Devil said:
    I am looking to setup a Plex server for just one user. Will be accessed from Asia, would prefer to keep server in Europe.

Did this before and no matter the provider, the video always lags. Mileage may vary if it's just 720p/1080p but just thought that'd be something you should keep in mind.

With that said, requirements for Plex aren't that high, especially if your client apps can do direct play. 2 GB of RAM and a single CPU core for direct play, single-user access should do fine.

Thanked by 1Devil
  • I’m using 1 CPU 1GB RAM for streaming films, anime and lossless music to my phone and desktop. Everything works fine.

• @Kousaka said:
    I’m using 1 CPU 1GB RAM for streaming films, anime and lossless music to my phone and desktop. Everything works fine.

I plan to do this on a TV. There’s Plex app. What’s your VPS configuration? I was thinking I’ll snag one this BF.

I have one with 1GB RAM but I also run my private only seedbox (I use it rare) on that so not sure how that will work.

• @Devil said:

@Kousaka said:
    I’m using 1 CPU 1GB RAM for streaming films, anime and lossless music to my phone and desktop. Everything works fine.

I plan to do this on a TV. There’s Plex app. What’s your VPS configuration? I was thinking I’ll snag one this BF.

I have one with 1GB RAM but I also run my private only seedbox (I use it rare) on that so not sure how that will work.

AMD EPYC 7551. I do not use transcoding so streaming does not use a lot of CPU power. If you want transcoding then you'll have to get a monster box.

Thanked by 1Devil