Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for Wireguard in the UK - Recommendations on RAM and provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for Wireguard in the UK - Recommendations on RAM and provider?

Hi all,

I'm looking to install https://github.com/notthebee/ansible-easy-vpn on a small VPS based in the UK, where I am. It's basically Wireguard with some added bits. Is anyone running this?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a provider and the amount of RAM required for it? I assume it's probably not a lot - Could I get away with 512MB? I'm probably only going to be running up to 4 connections at once maximum, usually only 1 or 2.

Thanks

Comments

• I mean I think a 1GB RAM VPS should be fine. I've ran other similar VPN clients on a 1GB RAM VPS. And usually it should be able to handle 3-4 continuous connections at once with that type of ram. As long as there is low latency.

Thanked by 1kidrock
  • Do you need a UI? If not, Nyrs Wireguard script will work even on 128mb ram.

Thanked by 1xms
  • @hollowvi1 said:
    I mean I think a 1GB RAM VPS should be fine. I've ran other similar VPN clients on a 1GB RAM VPS. And usually it should be able to handle 3-4 continuous connections at once with that type of ram. As long as there is low latency.

I am using NordVPN now. If I were to run own VPN on a VPS, replacing Nord, will 1GB RAM enough for a daily data transfer of 10GB (upload/download data consumption for browsing and watching movies, sports)? Also how much NVMe SSD storage will be enough?

• drizbodrizbo Member
    edited November 2022

Even 500mb ram is overkill for wireguard, it barely uses anything.

@kidrock said: Also how much NVMe SSD storage will be enough?

My debian with wireguard has 600MB disk usage.

• @drizbo said:

@kidrock said: Also how much NVMe SSD storage will be enough?

My debian with wireguard has 600MB disk usage.

While using VPN, my internet speed is half the ISP provided speed. So what is important in a VPS to gain the same speed?

• drizbodrizbo Member
    edited November 2022

@kidrock said: While using VPN, my internet speed is half the ISP provided speed. So what is important in a VPS to gain the same speed?

Probably most important is the speed/latency you get between your home and your VPS.

So trying test files from providers you are considering for example, to see the speeds you get.

Thanked by 2kidrock bdl
  • @kidrock said:

@hollowvi1 said:
    I mean I think a 1GB RAM VPS should be fine. I've ran other similar VPN clients on a 1GB RAM VPS. And usually it should be able to handle 3-4 continuous connections at once with that type of ram. As long as there is low latency.

I am using NordVPN now. If I were to run own VPN on a VPS, replacing Nord, will 1GB RAM enough for a daily data transfer of 10GB (upload/download data consumption for browsing and watching movies, sports)? Also how much NVMe SSD storage will be enough?

Yes. The port speed & latency is what matters most.

Thanked by 3kidrock bdl vimalware
  • @kidrock said:

@hollowvi1 said:

You don't even need NVMe storage. That doesn't really affect your VPN Speed

Thanked by 2kidrock bdl
  • I don't think I need any space other than what's needed for the OS.

I think the specs I'm looking at are:

512MB - 750MB RAM
    1 Core
    1-2TB Bandwidth
    1g to 10g line
    5gig drive if that (1gig over whatever is required by the OS to be safe)

Bandwidth perhaps 1-2TB at most - it's mostly for my mobile traffic. Currently testing it out on a free Oracle VM but would rather pay for a long term solution rather than await Oracle to pull my VM whenever they want.

• bdlbdl Member
    edited November 2022

Use this instead https://github.com/Nyr/wireguard-install with https://clients.natvps.uk/index.php?rp=/store/micronode-vps. As others have said it'll work with 128mb but they only have 512mb in stock :)

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • @Daojin said:
    I don't think I need any space other than what's needed for the OS.

512MB - 750MB RAM
    1 Core
    1-2TB Bandwidth
    1g to 10g line

Bandwidth perhaps 1-2TB at most - it's mostly for my mobile traffic. Currently testing it out on a free Oracle VM but would rather pay for a long term solution rather than await Oracle to pull my VM whenever they want.

I can offer you a similar solution for a cheap monthly rate.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2022

@Daojin said:
    I don't think I need any space other than what's needed for the OS.

512MB - 750MB RAM
    1 Core
    1-2TB Bandwidth
    1g to 10g line

We can do the following plan in UK: 1GB RAM, 1 core, 10GB SSD, 2TB, shared 1Gbps port - £16.80 per 6 months.

• @drizbo said:

Yeah I have a local VM with 256MB and it works just fine. The Debian install struggled more than WG does - actually installed with 512MB and bumped it down once it was setup.

• I'd highly recommend NATVPS.uk

• AlphaVPS still has a good BF deal in London for €18/yr.
    https://alphavps.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=379

256mb is plenty for just wireguard and I'll echo the others before me, Nyr's script is great.

• Letbox does look good but I went ahead with NatVPS and the nyr script worked great! The only issue I can think off with it, is that the IP4 is shared but once I work out how to move it all to IP6, it'll be fine. Can't go wrong for £5 a year!