Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do people do with the cheap Kimsufi servers? KS1 & KS-LE-1? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do people do with the cheap Kimsufi servers? KS1 & KS-LE-1?

Comments

• how long did it take for them to reply and swap the disk ?

• @wlambrechts said:
    how long did it take for them to reply and swap the disk ?

15 minutes for the first at RBX, and like 30-45 minutes for the two at GRA. I was pretty impressed, this is not the OVH I knew lol

• @Val said:

@jtcx said:

@Val said: Make sure to add in the form the smartctl's output and a little comment like how your server has old disks and you would like newer drives

Did smartctl show any errors, or just age?

Nope, but Powered-on hours amounted 6-7 years!

So, pretty new for KS then! :D

Thanked by 3Val Maounique pbx
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am a fan of old errorless disks. If I were to cold store something, I choose those (HDD not SSD, obviously).
    That means they are solid and all hidden defects should have manifested long ago.

• i use idle cpu resource to run https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/ ,which you can donate you cpu resource to some meanful project like COVID-19 research,Africa Rainfall simulations,Tuberculosis,Mapping Cancer Markers and Smash Childhood Cancer

• KS is good do not think it its cheap then you can't use it for production works.
    i m using ks from last 6 years for websites but yes i do database backups daily and full backups weekly to another server.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

I use mine as seedboxes.

• @Arkas said:
    I use mine as seedboxes.

It's possible to earn from that ?

• adnsadns Member
    edited November 2022

@Arkas said:
    I use mine as seedboxes.

If I use only private trackers is it allowed on OVH servers? I don't want to lose my ks-le-1 so I don't started torrent on it yet. Because the UDP traffic what is the maximal speed that acceptable for the DDoS protection?

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@adns said: If I use only private trackers is it allowed on OVH servers?

Yes, and how will they find out? Just never use public trackers.

• @Arkas said:

@adns said: If I use only private trackers is it allowed on OVH servers?

Yes, and how will they find out? Just never use public trackers.

I know that they can not determine it, and in my country torrenting is allowed (OK, not allowed, only accepted), but I'm thinking on that can cause any problem if I do it from France. From another aspect, if I download from private tracker (that requires registration and do not use DHT etc.), can I torrenting on netcup or Contabo without termination or problem with the local law?

• @Val said:

@wlambrechts said:

15 minutes for the first at RBX, and like 30-45 minutes for the two at GRA. I was pretty impressed, this is not the OVH I knew lol

It seems you were really lucky then ... :-) Ticket opened> @Val said:

@wlambrechts said:

I was not as fortunate: it took quite some time for them to reply ... my HDD was replaced meanwhile with ... another 2 TB model.... :-(

• ValVal Member
    edited November 2022

@wlambrechts said:

@Val said:

@wlambrechts said:

@wlambrechts said:

I was not as fortunate: it took quite some time for them to reply ... my HDD was replaced meanwhile with ... another 2 TB model.... :-(

That's sad :( Is it a new drive that you got it replaced with? Did you open the ticket from the new manager / eco OVHCloud?

I really must have done something differently to have gotten each 3 times and in two differents DC. Or it must because I'm French :disappointed:

Keep us updated how it goes for you @stoned

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I never got a 4 tb disk, so it must be because you're French :P

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited November 2022

@Val said:

@wlambrechts said:

@Val said:

@wlambrechts said:

@wlambrechts said:

That's sad :( Is it a new drive that you got it replaced with? Did you open the ticket from the new manager / eco OVHCloud?

I really must have done something differently to have gotten each 3 times and in two differents DC. Or it must because I'm French :disappointed:

@Val said:

@wlambrechts said:

@Val said:

@wlambrechts said:

@wlambrechts said:

it got replaced by a disk of 41000 hours (had 71000 hours before)

too bady: could have been worse ... that I got a 1TB disk instead :-)

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited November 2022

@wlambrechts said: 41000 hours

they put @val 's old disks to your server... :D

Thanked by 1Val
  • Got a fourth KS-1, disk was replaced with another 2 TB that has even more hours :D
    It was in GRA and I found out that my other three KS-1 were actually in RBX, so that's maybe more a DC thing that a French advantage :D

Thanked by 1stoned
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2022

Probably they replace disk on consumer complain and send them for testing, when it passes test, it is then sent back to their horde of good disks from there again cycle is repeated unless disk is actually bad.

For @Val, you were certainly lucky.

Since we have discussion about KS here, how many actually got luck to have 1Gbps up KS ?

Thanked by 3Val pbx stoned
  • does anyone know how to get a KS-1 in RBX, not for above reason though.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@mgcAna said: Probably they replace disk on consumer complain and send them for testing, when it passes test, it is then sent back to their horde of good disks from there again cycle is repeated unless disk is actually bad.

Hopefully that, rather than throwing perfectly good disks into e-waste because of picky lowenders.

Thanked by 3ralf pbx that_guy
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:

@mgcAna said: Probably they replace disk on consumer complain and send them for testing, when it passes test, it is then sent back to their horde of good disks from there again cycle is repeated unless disk is actually bad.

Hopefully that, rather than throwing perfectly good disks into e-waste because of picky lowenders.

It is actually that, Hetzner also does that. They have a video about their operations.

• @mgcAna said: It is actually that, Hetzner also does that. They have a video about their operations.

It is very likely that OVH have a similar procedure not to waste perfectly working hardware. Maybe @ninzo59 could chime in?

• @pbx said:

@mgcAna said: It is actually that, Hetzner also does that. They have a video about their operations.

It is very likely that OVH have a similar procedure not to waste perfectly working hardware. Maybe @ninzo59 could chime in?

May be @OVH_APAC can help with this.

• Filerun guys can you tell me why i am uploding at the speed of 128kbps :s i couldnt find the solution, rsync uses all the bandwith it can, but http, sftp cannot pass 150 kbps can it be an ssl problem? Miss configured php, apache2?

• I run Proxmox Backup Server on a KS-1. Works great.

Thanked by 1stoned
  • anyone tried owncloud infinite scale? They published the final today 😆👍

• edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited December 2022

I installed bitwarden on a cheap 1.99 kidechere dedi from online.net

Thanked by 1stoned
  • Wait..what.. I just got my 1 year old KS-1 1Gbps download speed..how weird is that?

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @Sanjue007 said:
    Wait..what.. I just got my 1 year old KS-1 1Gbps download speed..how weird is that?

Not weird. Enjoy

Thanked by 1Sanjue007
  • @plumberg said:

@Sanjue007 said:
    Wait..what.. I just got my 1 year old KS-1 1Gbps download speed..how weird is that?

Not weird. Enjoy

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 90.8 Mbits/sec  | 559 Mbits/sec   | 3.34 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | 86.5 Mbits/sec  | 858 Mbits/sec   | 4.99 ms
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 79.4 Mbits/sec  | 857 Mbits/sec   | 13.9 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 20.9 Mbits/sec  | 168 Mbits/sec   | 104 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 26.5 Mbits/sec  | 197 Mbits/sec   | 80.4 ms
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 17.1 Mbits/sec  | 72.9 Mbits/sec  | 115 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 15.9 Mbits/sec  | 55.9 Mbits/sec  | 133 ms

ethtool -S eno0 | grep error
         rx_errors: 1
         tx_errors: 0
         rx_length_errors: 1
         rx_over_errors: 0
         rx_crc_errors: 0
         rx_frame_errors: 0
         **rx_missed_errors: 772189**
         tx_aborted_errors: 0
         tx_carrier_errors: 0
         tx_fifo_errors: 0
         tx_heartbeat_errors: 0
         tx_window_errors: 0
         rx_long_length_errors: 0
         rx_short_length_errors: 1
         rx_align_errors: 0
         **rx_csum_offload_errors: 44**
         uncorr_ecc_errors: 0
         corr_ecc_errors: 0

Definetely something weired is going on.