Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

StackSocial Black Friday Coupon Codes - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

StackSocial Black Friday Coupon Codes

13»

Comments

• JOY30 says expired for me :(

• @djn said:
    JOY30 says expired for me :(

Good while it lasted... :)

• @djn said:
    JOY30 says expired for me :(

it worked last night too

• @Ympker i am following all threads and personally i don't feel a need for a vpn at all

but really want to block all ads (including youtube ads eventhough i use vanced)

do you recommend anything for me? like adguard/adlock works?

i started using adguard dns and it is quite good at blocking many trackers (used pi-hole earlier but don't want to use that now as i need to run 24x7 a pc/pi)

if i am de-railing topic, please ignore.

thanks.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2022

@seenu said:
    @Ympker i am following all threads and personally i don't feel a need for a vpn at all

but really want to block all ads (including youtube ads eventhough i use vanced)

i started using adguard dns and it is quite good at blocking many trackers (used pi-hole earlier but don't want to use that now as i need to run 24x7 a pc/pi)

thanks.

Hey there. I use AdGuard app on my phone and am quite happy. Not an expert on the whole adblocking topic. Using NewPipe for YouTube. You'd probably have to see if AdGuard desktop does everything you want it to :)

Thanked by 1sebkehl
  • @Ympker said:

@seenu said:
    @Ympker i am following all threads and personally i don't feel a need for a vpn at all

thanks.

Hey there. I use AdGuard app on my phone and am quite happy. Not an expert on the whole adblocking topic. Using NewPipe for YouTube. You'd probably have to see if AdGuard desktop does everything you want it to :)

Thanks for the response :)

does AdGuard blocks everything for you on phone?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2022

@seenu said:

@Ympker said:

@seenu said:

thanks.

does AdGuard blocks everything for you on phone?

Not everything. But a lot. It's worth mentioning that their are tons of filter options and I don't have all enabled.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • the_doctorthe_doctor Member
    edited December 2022

@seenu said:

thanks.

You can use ControlD ad-blocking DNS for free.
    https://controld.com/free-dns?

You can set it up as secure dns, example below blocks ads and trackers only:

DNS-over-HTTPS/3
    https://freedns.controld.com/p2

DNS-over-TLS/DoQ
    p2.freedns.controld.com

• @the_doctor said:

@seenu said:

thanks.

DNS-over-HTTPS/3

DNS-over-TLS/DoQ
    p2.freedns.controld.com

thanks for that :)

Thanked by 2Ympker the_doctor
  • seenuseenu Member
    edited December 2022

@the_doctor said:

@seenu said:

thanks.

DNS-over-HTTPS/3

DNS-over-TLS/DoQ
    p2.freedns.controld.com

@the_doctor thanks again for this.

i am playing with adguard, controlD and nextDNS and all doing great job.

so far liking adguard because it has an app and blocks more (imo)

can you tell me, which one to buy? all are on sale at SS so i can pick any, also please elaborate why one over others.

BTW, for self host lovers.....adguard home and https://github.com/0xERR0R/blocky looks like great options.

thanks.

• I got adguard pro.

I dont usually see ads.

The one place I do see ads and it is very annoying is in android apps. Can placing adguard on the router solve this?

• @trycatchthis said:
    I got adguard pro.

I dont usually see ads.

The one place I do see ads and it is very annoying is in android apps. Can placing adguard on the router solve this?

AdGuard app claims, it can block ads & trackers on app level for paid users.... isn't that working for you.

i use very little amount of apps which are mostly from companies so they dont show ads and for youtube i use vanced anyway.

one app which i use shows ads is TrueCaller and i just opened it now....in the place where it shows text/videos ads....it is just displaying blank space now... so i assume dns is doing the job here.

PS: interestingly after a min or so...that empty block is being replaced by truecaller premium subscription ad....so truecaller has a mechanism for that where if it cant get ads data....simply showing default ad...

• @seenu said:
    can you tell me, which one to buy? all are on sale at SS so i can pick any, also please elaborate why one over others.

ControlD is free, so I just use that. I'd use a PiHole if I didn't use ControlD.

Otherwise I'd recommend a VPN with built-in adblocking over a DNS-based ad blocker. Top tier trustable VPN's are Mullvad, IVPN, ProtonVPN and Windscribe.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • seenuseenu Member
    edited December 2022

@the_doctor said:

@seenu said:

ControlD is free, so I just use that. I'd use a PiHole if I didn't use ControlD.

Makes sense and went that route but turning a pc all the time is what stopped me after doing for a month or so, second...if its off for few mins then all devices will send all analytics data like crazy :smiley:

Otherwise I'd recommend a VPN with built-in adblocking over a DNS-based ad blocker. Top tier trustable VPN's are Mullvad, IVPN, ProtonVPN and Windscribe.

but 1. i don't see built-in adblocking in all of them (i found some like shark,adguard have them) 2. not all have points in India and i personally feel VPNs make net more slower 3. i prefer router level and not sure all supports my router (Mi) or not.

and VPNs provide more blocking compared to dns but since its easy, i am opting for it.

• hacktekhacktek Member
    edited January 2023

My ControlD full control plan expired and I didn't feel like renewing it so I tried to use the adguard lifetime plan I got on black friday as an alternative on my phone without loss of functionality. Happy to report this worked because of two things:

1. Adguard supports DNS over HTTPS (vs DOT supported by Android) so I used that, pointed to Google since it supports ECS so you get the best performance from CDNs.
    2. For the VPN like feature of redirecting a couple of services to a different country, I used the Proxy feature and pointed it to the VPN Unlimited server of my choice, happy to say it worked perfectly (HTTPS_CONNECT and port 3129).

That's some stacksocial lifetime plan inception right there lol (AdGuard + Keepsolid).

• @hacktek said:
    That's some stacksocial lifetime plan inception right there lol (AdGuard + Keepsolid).

Link?

• No link, those deals are long gone unfortunately, I was just lucky enough to grab them when they were available.

• StackSocial, Getflix Smart DNS & VPN: Lifetime Subscription for transfers

• @kubsb said:
    StackSocial, Getflix Smart DNS & VPN: Lifetime Subscription for transfers

wut? how? you sell the account?

• @ElonBezos said:

@kubsb said:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183061/getflix-smart-dns-vpn-lifetime-subscription-transfers

• @kubsb said:

@ElonBezos said:

@kubsb said:

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/183061/getflix-smart-dns-vpn-lifetime-subscription-transfers

uh ok got it,
    good they allow service transfer