Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pulsed Media 2022 Black Friday/Cyberweek Specials + Giveaway Shirts&HDDs + Seedbox Raffles!! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pulsed Media 2022 Black Friday/Cyberweek Specials + Giveaway Shirts&HDDs + Seedbox Raffles!!

Comments

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

All the epycs which got migrations coming in today are swamped now for a few days, didn't even get everything done.

Some nodes were averaging 1.6GiB/s inbound (it's all rsync etc.), and all of them are doing like 1GiB/s right now.

Something like 2.5-3PiB in-flight so even at these speeds per node it's going to take a moment :)

As you can see from the network speed test, that node has ... some utilization right now. CPU is @100% on each of them too.

So good idea to repeat the test in a few days as things calm down ... or a week

@taizi said:
    Bonus disk quota will be unfortunately reset also at this time
    rip

btw, it doesn't change your maximum so if server has resources it will be very quickly reprovisioning to what you had before or more.

• @PulsedMedia said: doesn't change your maximum

what mean,i can't get it

@PulsedMedia said: So good idea to repeat the test in a few days as things calm down ... or a week

yes,i am do the bench while other two users also logged in

@taizi said:

@PulsedMedia said: So good idea to repeat the test in a few days as things calm down ... or a week

yes,i am do the bench while other two users also logged in

It's not just the users logged in on that particular node ... It's the overall activity.

• Public trackers allowed

only downloading is allowed ?
    or
    seeding as well?

@adwsislife said:

Public trackers allowed

or
    seeding as well?

Both are allowed.

raffles atleast will run a bit more, we might check what's left still and make some small promo before the end.

Reminder that everyone is eligible for some wins from the giveaway until the time black friday + cyber week promo time ends.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@foitin said:
    triple your monthly fee

Triple is not enough.
    €18 📈 €81

• @PulsedMedia said:

@adwsislife said:

Public trackers allowed

or
    seeding as well?

Both are allowed.

Everything in sale/discount is out of stock :/
    Wanted to give pulsemedia a try but seems like it's not possible :(

@adwsislife said:

@PulsedMedia said:

@adwsislife said:

Public trackers allowed

or
    seeding as well?

Both are allowed.

Everything in sale/discount is out of stock :/
    Wanted to give pulsemedia a try but seems like it's not possible :(

I see plenty of stock. 2 of the raffles have stock, all of the V10G has plenty stock.

Raffles come hourly a little bit, and nothing stops you from buying list price.

Promos still going, as is the giveaway.

Will end by Sunday night tho, so if you want to ensure spot on the giveaway time to make your order now.

• adwsislifeadwsislife Member
    edited December 2022

@PulsedMedia said:
    Promos still going, as is the giveaway.

Will end by Sunday night tho, so if you want to ensure spot on the giveaway time to make your order now.

Hello
    I have placed an order few hours back.
    Plan:- M1000 L 4TB (https://i.imgur.com/n4cyj6h.png)

Added 8 well seeded torrents and I was able to get top total download speed of 57MB/s.
    But I was never able to achieve total seeding/upload speed more than 9MB/s.

So..... I ran yabs to see check the upload speeds.

Below is the yabs

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2022-11-22                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Sat 03 Dec 2022 04:10:17 AM EET

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 4 days, 6 hours, 0 minutes
    Processor  : AMD EPYC 7601 32-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 6 @ 2195.874 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 15.1 GiB
    Swap       : 7.0 GiB
    Disk       : 21.8 TiB
    Distro     : Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
    Kernel     : 5.10.0-0.deb10.16-amd64

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 858.00 KB/s    (214) | 9.95 MB/s      (155)
    Write      | 893.00 KB/s    (223) | 10.41 MB/s     (162)
    Total      | 1.75 MB/s      (437) | 20.37 MB/s     (317)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 41.29 MB/s      (80) | 47.37 MB/s      (46)
    Write      | 43.06 MB/s      (84) | 49.99 MB/s      (48)
    Total      | 84.36 MB/s     (164) | 97.36 MB/s      (94)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 48.0 Mbits/sec  | 497 Mbits/sec   | 42.2 ms
    Scaleway        | Paris, FR (10G)           | busy            | 684 Mbits/sec   | 34.0 ms
    NovoServe       | North Holland, NL (40G)   | 29.4 Mbits/sec  | 876 Mbits/sec   | 28.6 ms
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 47.2 Mbits/sec  | 466 Mbits/sec   | 86.4 ms
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 88.2 Mbits/sec  | 278 Mbits/sec   | 105 ms
    Clouvider       | Dallas, TX, US (10G)      | 79.3 Mbits/sec  | 391 Mbits/sec   | 135 ms
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 80.8 Mbits/sec  | 566 Mbits/sec   | 175 ms

I observed few things
    1. In the plan, its mentioned SSD and yabs is showing read and write speed of 50MB/s.
    2. Upload speeds seems to be capped at 100mbps (i.e., 12MB/s).

When the product is advertised as seedbox, I assumed that it is well optimized for seeding and it has good upload speeds which will help me to seed torrents properly.
    But here, the case is quite opposite it seems.
    1. Disk is working as an old HDD
    2. upload speed is capped at 100mbps where as in the plan it's mentioned as 1gbps.

Am I missing something?
    like.... something related to these things are already mentioned in T&C and I overlooked it by-mistake?
    If yes, please let me know
    if not, can you please have a look and fix this issue?
    Thank you :)

• Plan:- M1000 L 4TB (https://i.imgur.com/n4cyj6h.png)

I observed few things
    1. In the plan, its mentioned SSD and yabs is showing read and write speed of 50MB/s.

The attached screenshot shows not 'SSD' but 'SSD Cached' storage which is not the same

1. Upload speeds seems to be capped at 100mbps (i.e., 12MB/s).

Based on the YABS output, it is more likely that the upload is limited by the speed of the storage and not the network itself.

When the product is advertised as seedbox, I assumed that it is well optimized for seeding and it has good upload speeds which will help me to seed torrents properly.

I think 3.8€/month for a seedbox with 4TB of storage space is still not a bad deal.

• @supervisor said:

Plan:- M1000 L 4TB (https://i.imgur.com/n4cyj6h.png)

I observed few things

The attached screenshot shows not 'SSD' but 'SSD Cached' storage which is not the same

Thanks for info

1. Upload speeds seems to be capped at 100mbps (i.e., 12MB/s).

Based on the YABS output, it is more likely that the upload is limited by the speed of the storage and not the network itself.

If that's the case, why download speed crossed 50MB/s?

I think 3.8€/month for a seedbox with 4TB of storage space is still not a bad deal.

Yes, but this is almost 2023 and 100mbps (i.e., 12MB/s) is not good at all :(

• Based on the YABS output, it is more likely that the upload is limited by the speed of the storage and not the network itself.

I don't know the exact cache settings used by the provider, but this behavior can be caused by the SSD cache, if it's also used for write through cache.

I agree with you, but from a price/value point of view, for the money this plan is not bad at all, even if performance is below expectations.

• @supervisor said:

I don't know the exact cache settings used by the provider, but this behavior can be caused by the SSD cache, if it's also used for write through cache.

Thank you for info. Makes sense.

I agree with you, but from a price/value point of view, for the money this plan is not bad at all, even if performance is below expectations.

I do not know what to say :#
    I mean....... from the 1st look, 4TB looks awesome but when you start using it, you understand that big storage is of no use. My dreams are shattered :joy:
    Big storage with limited bandwidth is good for private trackers as we need to keep it seeding for 8-10 days.
    Not good for my usage :(

• So many complains about this shit service, not sure why let still allow this company here... Every promo is the same thing...

Thanked by 1that_guy

So many new users on new servers and everyone trying to use 100% at 100% of the time. There is only so many 100% to go around.

There is only 100% so this will naturally cause less than 100% for each user. This is the nature of shared servers, and to avoid this situation you will need a dedicated server, or at the very least upgrade to top tier shared.

This high usage period typically lasts from a few days to several weeks. Further, ALL NEW users have zero start on their traffic limits, meaning full amount they can use. This further increases the potential temporary congestion which is very natural for shared servers.

If this persists for more than couple of weeks, let us know.

Also do let us know if you know how to fix everyone trying to use 100%, 100% of the time without tremendous costs like going all NVMe, fully dedicated servers with dedicated bandwidth for each. Can't sell those at these prices. Add a few zeroes on the price then sure thing, we'll have you up and running within days probably :)

Thanked by 1ps20090
  • @PulsedMedia said:
    There is only so many 100% to go around.

Sure, but you've disabled Deluge completely on at least one of the boxes because other users are abusing resources. Apart from the fact that it's your responsibility to manage and configure the servers so that people can't abuse resources in the first place, disabling Deluge completely for everyone on the server isn't the way to deal with it. You sold a service that had Deluge, and you've now - temporarily, but it's been 10+ hours since you did so - disabled Deluge. I'm not getting what I've paid for. If it'd been a hardware failure, I'd understand. This is an active choice you've made, to remove part of the service to everyone because of something their server neighbours have done.

It's trivial for you to see who's monopolising RAM, CPU or bandwidth, and deal with them directly, so why not do that? It certainly doesn't take 10 hours to investigate.

Performance has been pretty bad, but I didn't complain because they were cheap Black Friday deals. Saying that, at normal price, these would be terrible value for money. Customers shouldn't expect a worse service - or facilities to be disabled - just because they got a deal on it; if that were the case, nobody would buy BF deals.

Thanked by 2adwsislife that_guy

If you'd read that message it was temporary measure ....

also it was abuse case, and in that manner of abuse we cannot see who caused it as the whole node is killed -- cannot check what consumes what.

Regardless, just open a ticket and ask for refund.
    99% of our customers are very happy, and enjoying their service but let's just judge based on single open abuse case.

Btw, you should read that email in full....

Thanked by 1ps20090

We have identified 2 network issues which may have affected some here on this thread as well. We are working to resolve both of them.

http://pulsedmedia.com/clients/announcements.php?id=576

also @Gary has been offered a refund as per our normal 14day moneyback guarantee. That node had only 2 or 3 deluge users (which is very easy to use to bomb the node, even accidentally) but since we had to disable temporarily on torbjorn we are not sure who caused it.

For @Gary i recommend a dedicated server since those will not have neighbor caused fluctuations in service quality and therefore will match his needs better.

Thanked by 1ps20090
  • @PulsedMedia said:
    If you'd read that message it was temporary measure ....

A temporary measure that still hasn't been fixed 28+ hours later. Over a day to ascertain who was abusing the node or even just implement limits and restart the services. Over a day without service, by choice.

also it was abuse case, and in that manner of abuse we cannot see who caused it as the whole node is killed -- cannot check what consumes what.

The first email you sent said:

We cannot reboot it right now because there is also migrations unfinished as of yet -- so we disabled deluge the time being to stop these periodic halts.

So you were able to keep the server up to disable Deluge and continue the migrations, but weren't able to take note of whose Deluge process was monopolising the resources?

And even if the only solution was to reboot the box, there's no logs to check? That's a choice too.

Regardless, just open a ticket and ask for refund.
    99% of our customers are very happy, and enjoying their service but let's just judge based on single open abuse case.

I opened a ticket before posting here.

I also used to be a relatively happy customer; I don't post much on here, but one of my most recent posts was pretty much saying that I'd had a good experience with a previous PM product (that I've since only cancelled due to the price increases). At the original price it was great value for money. At the new price it was far from good value, but we're all seeing higher energy prices so things will increase in price; it's out of your hands so fair enough.

Being happy with one product, for the price, and being happy with staff deciding to remove functionality - even just temporarily - are two different things. I'd expect that most of your 99% of happy customers might change their minds if they found themselves on a node with a bad neighbour, and your solution was to disable their torrent client.

Btw, you should read that email in full....

I did.

For @Gary i recommend a dedicated server since those will not have neighbor caused fluctuations in service quality and therefore will match his needs better.

I don't need a dedi, I just need a provider who monitors and maintains their servers and knows how to actually find out which user is tanking performance for everyone else, without killing the service for other users.

It's odd how you seem to know it was a user using Deluge, and there apparently are only 2 or 3 Deluge users on the node, but somehow don't know which user it was. Surely if you know it's Deluge doing it, you can see whose Deluge it was?

If process gets OOM killed, by definition that process is killed. Syslog does not contain process owner, only process name + PID of that time.

Perhaps we should have not migrated user data then and caused data loss for several users instead for Gary's pleasure. /sarcasm

Thanked by 1ps20090
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@PulsedMedia said:
    Also do let us know if you know how to fix everyone trying to use 100%, 100% of the time without tremendous costs like going all NVMe, fully dedicated servers with dedicated bandwidth for each. Can't sell those at these prices. Add a few zeroes on the price then sure thing, we'll have you up and running within days probably :)

Every server can only admit one new account per day.
    Spread new accounts across different servers.

Every new account can only use up to 5% of its monthly traffic per day.
    During the first 20 days, the traffic quota is: monthly traffic quota ÷ 20 × account age in days.
    On the 21th day, they get the full amount.

• How is p.daddy marketing tactic goes? Is it working good? I miss 1 liter of premium branded platinum lube giveaway. Such a treat!

Thanked by 1let_rocks
    edited December 2022

@yoursunny said:

@PulsedMedia said:

Every server can only admit one new account per day.
    Spread new accounts across different servers.

Every new account can only use up to 5% of its monthly traffic per day.
    During the first 20 days, the traffic quota is: monthly traffic quota ÷ 20 × account age in days.
    On the 21th day, they get the full amount.

Thanks for feedback.

Infact, we do some of that. It's these peaks indeed which is an issue.
    For example, new provisioning algo has parameters for users per node, along with node size. Some of the issues arose that we ran out of enough discreet sized nodes and all the sales were concentrated on single size.

For example, for small accounts the algo first checks the smallest size nodes, then on the free capacity and finally on users. Metrics like IOWait + BW Util + CPU Usage as well are used part of that equation, but sometimes those metrics lag way too much (say 40 signups in a hour, but server choices limited -> SOL then). One solution is to just have way more spare capacity than we did this time around, many many petabytes of capacity was missing because of the migrations.

Statistics Trivia -> We have something like -40% of the hardware online now, -20 to -25% of total capacity YET bandwidth utilization has skyrocketed, records broken every day. Means our strategy has overally worked out AND users are getting way more value (money spent on transit NOT electricity)

We have considered those kind of bandwidth limits, but only for long term, but indeed, for the first period have not given thought. That might be good idea to implement, need to think about it more. If we shall implement it, DO REMIND us of this posting, there will be ample credit for you!

Good food for thought! Thanks :)

This is the best thing talking openly with people; Everyone has slightly different perspective, and you find the best solutions by going through all those different perspectives.

That first month daily limits might actually be a workable plan.

@LTniger said:
    How is p.daddy marketing tactic goes? Is it working good? I miss 1 liter of premium branded platinum lube giveaway. Such a treat!

I guess next year we need to order in branded lube from some printing company then, eh? ;) ;)

We will pick the winners by end of this month, and shipping starts by 2nd week of January. First time we do something like this :)

Still thinking should we hire logistics company for the actual shipping, or just do it ourselves. Cost is about the same, man hours roughly too. Logistics company gets such a huge shipping discount it works out like that. Might be slightly more € spent, but way less man hours too.

edited December 2022

There was some kind of bug with WHMCS on the raffle coupon -> 2nd month discount is not applied for everyone.

If that's your case, please open a ticket and it will be sorted out shortly.

EDIT: If there is no new invoice yet, please do not open ticket. Open when the ticket is generated, cannot manually fix if invoice has not generated.

Thanked by 1ps20090
    edited December 2022

-80% For Second Month was not getting applied to any of them for some reason.

Sooooo ....

We gave everyone a fully free month instead! :)

http://pulsedmedia.com/clients/announcements.php?id=581

Winners for the giveaway: https://blog.pulsedmedia.com/2022/12/happy-holidays-2022-and-a-look-into-present-and-future/

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! :)

docker rootless + wireguard now on all seedboxes:
    https://pulsedmedia.com/clients/announcements.php?id=589

*ARR + Jellyfin installer updated:
    https://pulsedmedia.com/clients/announcements.php?id=590