Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Install Windows on Linux VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Install Windows on Linux VPS

Does anyone here can install windows server 2012/2016 in Linux VPS?

Would you mind to show me how to do it the right way or any references tutorial?

Thanks a million!

Comments

  • Tinyinstaller.top almost

  • LXC container VPS, no, because that shares Kernel with Host.

    KVM provides a full virtual machine so if the provider has an option to install an OS from ISO, you can install any OS, even Windows so long as the VPS is powerful enough.

    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

  • @Tapilu said:
    Tinyinstaller.top almost

    Already tried. But have an error when I try to open it on VNC.
    And can't install via tinyinstaller again since they only allow 1 installation on 1 vps

  • @stoned said:
    LXC container VPS, no, because that shares Kernel with Host.

    KVM provides a full virtual machine so if the provider has an option to install an OS from ISO, you can install any OS, even Windows so long as the VPS is powerful enough.

    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

    KVM VPS.
    Would you mind to show me how to install it from ISO using terminal?

  • Who is your provider?

  • @stoned said:
    Who is your provider?

    Contabo. Any tutorials?

  • capric98capric98 Member
    edited November 24

    Seems like you have VNC access to the VPS which make things way easier.

    I haven't try to install windows but there's other one did this successfully:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3181391#Comment_3181391

    There's also script could do this without even VNC, but you also need to make your own vhd file for overwrite in advance. You could use some existing images at your own risks, since you are not sure what modification is made by the author.

    https://github.com/veip007/dd

    Thanked by 1Patriarch
  • @Patriarch said:

    @Tapilu said:
    Tinyinstaller.top almost

    Already tried. But have an error when I try to open it on VNC.
    And can't install via tinyinstaller again since they only allow 1 installation on 1 vps

    I install ok, buy premium you will install many times

    Thanked by 1Patriarch
  • @capric98 said:
    Seems like you have VNC access to the VPS which make things way easier.

    I haven't try to install windows but there's other one did this successfully:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3181391#Comment_3181391

    There's also script could do this without even VNC, but you also need to make your own vhd file for overwrite in advance. You could use some existing images at your own risks, since you are not sure what modification is made by the author.

    https://github.com/veip007/dd

    Gone to check it..
    Thanks a million

  • emgemg Member
    edited November 24

    If you need to run only one or two Windows applications, have you considered Wine as an alternative? Your applications may not run under Wine, but it is worth investigating.

    https://www.winehq.org

    Know your provider's policies before you try to run Windows on your VPS. Some providers forbid running Windows on what they think of as a "Linux VPS." They may suspend your VPS if they think you are trying to run Windows on it.

    How do I know? It happened to me only two days ago. I opened an unrelated ticket with my VPS provider. While handling the ticket, the technical support person jumped to the conclusion that I had been trying to run Windows and suspended the VPS briefly. In the suspension notice, they indicated that it was for running Windows on a Linux VPS. The technical support person realized the mistake quickly, reinstated the VPS on their own, and apologized for the error.

    For the record, I have never run Windows on a VPS, nor have I ever tried to do it. The technical support person made a simple mistake, that's all. No harm, no foul.

    The important lesson here is that it exposed the provider's "No Windows on Linux VPSs" policy. I was unaware before that event. It does not matter to me because I have no interest in running Windows on a VPS. It may matter to you. Check your provider's policies first.

    Thanked by 1dev077
  • @emg said:
    If you need to run only one or two Windows applications, have you considered Wine as an alternative? Your applications may not run under Wine, but it is worth investigating.

    https://www.winehq.org

    Know your provider's policies before you try to run Windows on your VPS. Some providers forbid running Windows on what they think of as a "Linux VPS." They may suspend your VPS if they think you are trying to run Windows on it.

    How do I know? It happened to me only two days ago. I opened an unrelated ticket with my VPS provider. While handling the ticket, the technical support person jumped to the conclusion that I had been trying to run Windows and suspended the VPS briefly. In the suspension notice, they indicated that it was for running Windows on a Linux VPS. The technical support person realized the mistake quickly, reinstated the VPS on their own, and apologized for the error.

    For the record, I have never run Windows on a VPS, nor have I ever tried to do it. The technical support person made a simple mistake, that's all. No harm, no foul.

    The important lesson here is that it exposed the provider's "No Windows on Linux VPSs" policy. I was unaware before that event. It does not matter to me because I have no interest in running Windows on a VPS. It may matter to you. Check your provider's policies first.

    Understood. Thanks for remind about it :)

  • emgemg Member

    @stoned said:
    LXC container VPS, no, because that shares Kernel with Host.

    KVM provides a full virtual machine so if the provider has an option to install an OS from ISO, you can install any OS, even Windows so long as the VPS is powerful enough.

    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

    @Patriarch said:
    KVM VPS.
    Would you mind to show me how to install it from ISO using terminal?

    Most KVM VPS provider will mount a .iso for you. I have a KVM VPS with an installer .iso mounted (for Debian). I opened a customer support ticket requesting that they mount the .iso file for me. In the ticket, I gave them the URL of the .iso file so they could download it.

    You can download Windows .iso files from Microsoft's website. Whether your VPS provider will mount it for you is a separate question. You may also need a Product Key or license code to install Windows, and that can lead to issues too.

    Once the .iso is mounted for you, there should be a pulldown menu in the control panel to choose whether to boot from the hard drive or the "CD ROM". Boot from the CD ROM, open that VNC viewer and perform the Windows installation. (I do the same thing, but with the Debian installer CD.) After you complete the installation, set the control panel back to boot from the hard drive, and then boot your new Windows installation.

    You may be able to get away with a free 180 day trial, which some Windows versions offer. Just install and don't provide the license and see what happens. It may run in 180 day free trial mode. Try it on a virtual machine first to see if it works. Once the 180 days is over, there is no easy fix other than entering a valid product key.

    There are ways to install Windows if the VPS provider will not mount the .iso, as discussed in the thread that @capric98 suggested above. Of course, if you ask them to mount the .iso file, then they will know that you want to run Windows on your VPS.

    Good luck!

    Thanked by 2Patriarch capric98
Sign In or Register to comment.