Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BTRFS on OVH Dedicated, is it possible? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BTRFS on OVH Dedicated, is it possible?

2»

Comments

• @Shot2 said:

@CalmDown said:

@Shot2 said:

@CalmDown said:

@Shot2 said:
    when you install a modern ISO on your KS1, edit the interface config and use eno1 then.

Their rescue system is always outdated, it uses old ethX names.

Even if you will change the interface config manually it won't fix the problem, it won't boot up.

Of course it will. Tested on Dedibox crap Avotons, as well as on good ol' Atom KS...

I just test on Kimsufi. Don't work, tried DHCP and static configuration and was using eno1 / enp0s25 and interface.

"I screwed something up" does not equate "it don't work" ;)

Tested by myself on both KS and Dediboxes, many more times than I can count, to install Debian 9/10/11 through qemu. It's painfully slow on the N2800 Atoms (20+ hours... thank Gawd for 'screen'), but it definitely works :sweat_smile:

Seems it was like 2 years ago ;).

Calm down.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2022

@CalmDown said: I just test on Kimsufi. Don't work,

Then you didn't correct it correctly, or didn't correct it to the correct value. :)

Edit /etc/rc.local or whatever is the equivalent in your systemd-infested OSes these days, add ip link show > /root/ip-link.txt so that's executed on startup, then hard-reboot it back to the rescue system, and check the txt file for what the actual interface names were.

• @CalmDown said:
    Seems it was like 2 years ago ;).

Calm down.

More like 2 months ago. I'm perfectly calm, sir :D

• @rm_ said:

@CalmDown said: I just test on Kimsufi. Don't work,

Then you didn't correct it correctly, or didn't correct it to the correct value. :)

Edit /etc/rc.local or whatever is the equivalent in your systemd-infested OSes these days, add ip link show > /root/ip-link.txt so that's executed on startup, then hard-reboot it back to the rescue system, and check the txt file for what the actual interface names were.

I've installed the system via OVH "template" so kinda got all info, but will definitely double-check.

• I've tried everything, including every type of iface name, and the box never comes up and they have to intervene as it doesn't even come up with rescue anymore.

I've tried twice and I'm afraid to try a third time. I don't want to piss off the techs.

I'll try a 1 disk prox mox install custom partition layout in ext4, then convert ext4 to btrfs in rescue.

Or I might just use template and go with ZFS.

• i can confirm qemu install via rescue is the best way.

• @jugganuts said:
    i can confirm qemu install via rescue is the best way.

Third time around, it won't come up. I've done everything as correctly as described in at least two guides linked here.

• jugganutsjugganuts Member
    edited November 2022

and what do logs say about last boot when your reboot with qemu with your mounted disks? can you vnc in and see proxmox shell?

• CalmDownCalmDown Member
    edited November 2022

@stoned

Try to add

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

With content

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="MAC:ADDRESS:FROM:OVH", NAME="eno1"

• @stoned said:
    Third time around, it won't come up. I've done everything as correctly as described in at least two guides linked here.

I too couldn't get the QEMU method to work on a Kimsufi with 3x1.8TB disks, I settled on the OVH web-based installer to set up /boot and a small / in mdadm RAID1 on /dev/sda and /dv/sdb, leaving the rest unpartitioned.

After the installation, I had enough space left on the disks to create a BTRFS RAID1 device with mkfs.btrfs --data raid1 --metadata raid1 /dev/sda6 /dev/sdb5 /dev/sdc2.

It's not 100% what you're looking for, but maybe close enough.

• @stoned @quicksilver03 I made it work. Let me know through DM if you're interested to have a working solution ;)

• what you set efi instead of bios?

• @CalmDown said:
    @stoned @quicksilver03 I made it work. Let me know through DM if you're interested to have a working solution ;)

Please post solution here for us all to benefit from it, if you are able to. Thank you. :)

• stonedstoned Member
    edited November 2022

I have tried everything I know. Everything. Over a dozen attempts to install Debian using qemu in OVH with custom partition layout. Everything goes smoothly, I even correctly put in the correct network config, correct names, proper udev rules, proper nameing of device using MAC, everything. Literally I have tried EVERY thing suggested here as well.

I give up. I can't waste any more time on this. The sever never comes back up when you reboot. Never. They always have to intervene and I'm tired of bothering them too.

I have no other choice than to just install it on EXT4 on / like 20GB and rest do something like mkfs.btrfs -f -d single dev1 dev2 etc.

I was trying to do that to the entire disks, then create/use sub volumes instead of partitions. Looks like custom layout isn't possible with OVH in my case.

If someone wants to post a video or a tutorial for the community on how to do this, with bloody video proof and not just textual tutorial which may or may not work ... that'd be fantastic. Thanks!

Specifically why the damn server never comes back up. I go in with rescue, check settings, match them up to the correct NIC device name, still nothing.

I am officially giving up on OVH. 1.5 days of time wasted on this experimentation which cost me more.

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited November 2022

It's definitely doable, just requires a lot of experimentation. Not getting feedback on what's going wrong can be frustrating though.

I was able to get a relatively exotic setup working on my KS-LE blind. almost FDE (encrypted root, initrd SSH unlock) on LVM RAID1.

• @stoned
    You don't even mention what OS you're trying to install. Hard to help people who don't give relevant info.
    Seeing how you feel compelled to deal with MAC address and udev rules etc., I suppose it is some exotic OS - no such thing is needed with e.g. modern Debian, just KISS.

• @Shot2 said:
    @stoned
    You don't even mention what OS you're trying to install. Hard to help people who don't give relevant info.
    Seeing how you feel compelled to deal with MAC address and udev rules etc., I suppose it is some exotic OS - no such thing is needed with e.g. modern Debian, just KISS.

I have tried everything I know. Everything. Over a dozen attempts to install Debian using qemu

I had mentioned that. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I don't have time to spend on this anymore.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited November 2022

As you like it :)
    (still can't find the message on the first page where you gave info about the OS you wish to install, hence my many necessarily imprecise answers to try and help you - never got a thank for that btw)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@stoned said: doesn't even come up with rescue anymore.

This is very suprising, or even doubtful. Maybe you didn't select the rescue properly, didn't hard-reboot it instead of trying a soft reboot, or didn't wait enough etc.

@stoned said: They always have to intervene and I'm tired of bothering them too.

It is possible to disable ping monitoring (in the main screen on the customer panel), so it doesn't auto-create an intervention request on downtimes, which is better to do during the experiments.

Thanked by 1stoned
  • stonedstoned Member
    edited November 2022

@Shot2 said:
    As you like it :)
    (still can't find the message on the first page where you gave info about the OS you wish to install, hence my many necessarily imprecise answers to try and help you - never got a thank for that btw)

If it is gratitude you require, then here, I'll open my storage cellar. Come in and grab as much gratitude from me as required and needed by you. :D I got plenty, come and get a bunch! :D

• @rm_ said:

@stoned said: doesn't even come up with rescue anymore.

This is very suprising, or even doubtful. Maybe you didn't select the rescue properly, didn't hard-reboot it instead of trying a soft reboot, or didn't wait enough etc.

@stoned said: They always have to intervene and I'm tired of bothering them too.

It is possible to disable ping monitoring (in the main screen on the customer panel), so it doesn't auto-create an intervention request on downtimes, which is better to do during the experiments.

I may give it another go at some point later. Cheers.