Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ethernetservers very very VERY slow
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ethernetservers very very VERY slow

azulinhoazulinho Member
edited November 2022 in Providers

so I got one of those openVZ based VPS out of ethernetservers as they had a deal going for where I got a cheap one for 2 years.
Usual 1GB ram + 256MB vSwap and a slice of a cpu (CPU E5-2620).

I have moved this workload from a hetzner kvm instance, the cheapest they had as this is just a python script running, talking to some http endpoint out there and not doing much else. It's not cpu bound, IO bound, or network bound.
But the performance of this thing is insanely slow, untarring a small 100MB file takes forever (talking over 10 minutes), and even just a simple ssh session lags left and right.

I'm constrained by the openVZ as swapiness on the host is set to 60, which leads the kernel to prefer to page out memory pages to swap instead of decreasing filecache. As a result I have almost full vSwap on a workload that hardly uses any memory and I'm unable to remove the vSwap or change the swapiness. As I understand openVZ will slow down a VPS jail when it is using vSwap as it is not a real swapdevice (why is a design which I don't fully grasp).

But my question, is, is this everyone else experience with these VPS? or was I just unlucky to land on a very busy CPU host which also looks to be severely IO bound?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@azulinho said:
    It's not IO bound.
    untarring a small 100MB file takes over 10 minutes

This means your workload is indeed IO bound, at least on this system.

I'm constrained by the openVZ as swapiness on the host is set to 60, which leads the kernel to prefer to page out memory pages to swap instead of decreasing filecache.

Recompile your app to open files with O_DIRECT flag in order to bypass unwanted filecache.

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

Please open a ticket and we'll get this sorted :)

• I'm finding the same performance issue, just really slow. I'm running a couple of small docker containers. They are normally quite speedy and as soon as they do anything that is writing to storage it lags and even drops the connection.

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

Anyone with issues is welcome to open a ticket and any issues will be quickly addressed :)

Thanked by 1IonutNM