Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fixing Debian error: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert '___': Key was rejected by service
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fixing Debian error: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert '___': Key was rejected by service

Just noticed that on some of my Debian 11 machines (in particular GreenCloiud HK, NL, SJC but not on my other 3 instances), I got a random error when trying to create a bridge device.

Looking further, I discovered that I couldn't modprobe bf_netfilter and after googling, I found a lot of random recommendations to rebuild the modules yourself and sign them because "they're not signed".

That sounded like a crazy explanation, dug deeper and found this: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1012741

Looks like there has been a bug in the package signer that outputs signatures that are 2 bytes short if the upper 2 bytes of something are 0 (so it thinks it can fit in a 16-bit rather than 32-bit integer). So, out of the millions of packages in Debian, there are around 75 that have incorrect signatures.

Anyway, the good news is that it's now fixed in release, but seemingly not fixed in every provider's templates. But the solution is pretty easy now the fix is released:

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

And a simple test case on the faulty GreenCloud images is ip link add br0 type bridge should have no error, but does before the upgrade.

Just thought I'd share, as it looked like I'd installed the same version of Debian 11 on every VPS I have, but clearly that wasn't the case!

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting