Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Why Can't We Edit PMs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Why Can't We Edit PMs?

emgemg Member
edited November 16 in Help

How long is a nanosecond?
For me, it is the time between when I click "Post" and when I notice the first typo.

You can edit new discussions and comments in threads for an hour, but once you click "Send Message" in a PM, there is no edit button to fix typos.

What about adding a 5 minute Edit button to PMs? Can it be done easily?

Comments

  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 16

    PMs are like email messages no need to edit, they're not public so styling isn't a real issue, just send another PM to fix errors.
    Also sometimes legal binding info or action triggering instructions are exchanged so proof should be kept to help with disputes and abuse.

    Thanked by 3ralf Pwner Kebab
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

    @emg said:
    How long is a nanosecond?
    For me, it is the time between when I click "Post" and when I notice the first typo.

    You can edit new discussions and comments in threads for an hour, but once you click "Send Message" in a PM, there is no edit button to fix typos.

    What about adding a 5 minute Edit button to PMs? Can it be done easily?

    Honestly, I think that the need for a 5-minute Edit button for PMs isn't there, for who really wants to wait 5 minutes before being able to send a silly PM on LET?!

    (In addition, once a PM is sent, it arrives in the Inbox of the receiver, and the sender clearly shouldn't be allowed to edit a PM that is already in the Inbox of the receiver)

  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

    Related question:
    Why can't we Preview PM?
    The preview feature is necessary for ensuring the PM renders correctly, e.g. nothing is unexpectedly converted to emoji.

    Thanked by 2bikegremlin Pwner
  • emgemg Member
    edited November 16

    @angstrom said:

    Honestly, I think that the need for a 5-minute Edit button for PMs isn't there, for who really wants to wait 5 minutes before being able to send a silly PM on LET?!

    (In addition, once a PM is sent, it arrives in the Inbox of the receiver, and the sender clearly shouldn't be allowed to edit a PM that is already in the Inbox of the receiver)

    No, you missed the point. I was asking for a 5 minute edit window (rather than a full hour) for PMs. Post immediately, but let members fix the typos for the first five minutes before the edit button goes away. That's all.

    No waiting is necessary or asked for. It is the same feature as editing in the threads, but I suggested a short, five-minute edit window. The idea is to allow time for typo fixes, but avoid confusion by keeping the time window small to reduce the number of cases where someone responds and then a message is edited. Heck, make it one minute if that works.

  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited November 16

    Maybe we can tag a @ moderator to help edit and modify the pms or even for delete it

    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • If that is not yet a feature of vanilla,how about you make one... :)

  • add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited November 16

    I think it somewhat work like email

    Once we send to receiver it can be edited or modify

    🤔

    Thats why on every social media inbox or pm modify is prohibited except it can be deleted for each side

  • ArkasArkas Moderator

    I believe it isn't supported in the current version of Vanilla.

    Thanked by 1emg
  • emgemg Member

    @Shamli said:
    If that is not yet a feature of vanilla,how about you make one... :)

    If it is not built-in to Vanilla, then it is not worth the effort, in my opinion. This is a "nice to have" feature request / discussion, not a "must have."

    @add_iT said:
    I think it somewhat work like email

    Once we send to receiver it can be edited or modify

    🤔

    Thats why on every social media inbox or pm modify is prohibited except it can be deleted for each side

    But PMs are not email. I have seen the PM edit feature on other forums and it works well without issues. Those forums may not be running Vanilla. I have never had a social media account on Facebook, Twitter, etc., so I would not know about that.

  • angstromangstrom Moderator

    @emg said:

    @angstrom said:

    Honestly, I think that the need for a 5-minute Edit button for PMs isn't there, for who really wants to wait 5 minutes before being able to send a silly PM on LET?!

    (In addition, once a PM is sent, it arrives in the Inbox of the receiver, and the sender clearly shouldn't be allowed to edit a PM that is already in the Inbox of the receiver)

    No, you missed the point. I was asking for a 5 minute edit window (rather than a full hour) for PMs. Post immediately, but let members fix the typos for the first five minutes before the edit button goes away. That's all.

    Yes, but wouldn't this require a PM that is already sent to the receiver and is already in the receiver's Inbox to be editable by the sender? If so, this seems undesirable to me

    If you mean something like Gmail's 10-second delay during which you can cancel the sending of a PM, then this seems more desirable but at the same time, given the purpose of PMs on LET, is probably more work/effort than it's worth

    Thanked by 1emg
  • emgemg Member
    edited November 16

    @angstrom said:

    Yes, but wouldn't this require a PM that is already sent to the receiver and is already in the receiver's Inbox to be editable by the sender? If so, this seems undesirable to me

    If you mean something like Gmail's 10-second delay during which you can cancel the sending of a PM, then this seems more desirable but at the same time, given the purpose of PMs on LET, is probably more work/effort than it's worth

    Thanks. That answers that.

    I could live with a few second "Cancel" delay ... as long as the message to edit is still in the window! That would solve the problem, but the question is moot anyway.

    As I said before, since it is not a plain Vanilla feature (ha!), it is probably not worth the effort to do it on LowEndTalk. Nice thought, but not worth it.

    Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Why edit a PM if you have a ton of time to rewrite it?

  • angstromangstrom Moderator

    @emg said: You can edit new discussions and comments in threads for an hour,

    Personally, I'm not such a big fan of this, because the privilege is sometimes or even often abused (e.g., when a user replaces their post by "delete this")

    At the same time, editing to correct simple typos is understandable

    Personally, I'd prefer if Vanilla kept a history of the edits -- like a wiki -- so that users could see what was changed

  • emgemg Member
    edited November 16

    @ascicode said:
    Why edit a PM if you have a ton of time to rewrite it?

    Speaking only for myself:

    Because I don't always see the typos and want to fix poor wording choices. Some people are not concerned about typos and wording as much. I can respect that.

    Nobody is perfick.

  • @ascicode said:
    Why edit a PM if you have a ton of time to rewrite it?

    Murphy's Law, typos only discovered after its too late.

  • I believe you are referring to the onosecond :)

  • zedzed Member

    +preview -edit

    Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • iirc PMs are also sent via email (which obviously cannot be edited by LET after sending), so I don’t really see any value on editing it.

Sign In or Register to comment.