Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudflare charges 2400$ per year if you want to change nameserver - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudflare charges 2400$ per year if you want to change nameserver

2»

Comments

• The "custom" nameservers you can set with the business plan are glue records (i.e. vanity nameservers). It's still Cloudflare DNS; you wouldn't be paying to not use their service.

• Laughing hardly. People just buy in Cloudflare because of their "famous CDN" and forget that Cloudflare are just another crappy service like GoDaddy and others big companies.

Not saying that Cloudflare CDN / WAF is bad, because isn't. They help a lot of people and provides it for free.

But everything comes with a price. Since Cloudflare are cooperating and have agreement with copyrights holders your domains can be seized, suspended or blocked by that "secret agreements" others are public.

I never will buy a Domain from Cloudflare even if that implies more few bucks.

That is the kinder surprise that Cloudflare brings to you and customers for the "cheapest price for Domains and CDN".

For this reason, I would relay in EasyDNS, EuroDNS, Gandi and among others.

• ThundasThundas Member
    edited November 2022

@sandoz said:
    Laughing hardly. People just buy in Cloudflare because of their "famous CDN" and forget that Cloudflare are just another crappy service like GoDaddy and others big companies.

Not saying that Cloudflare CDN / WAF is bad, because isn't. They help a lot of people and provides it for free.

But everything comes with a price. Since Cloudflare are cooperating and have agreement with copyrights holders your domains can be seized, suspended or blocked by that "secret agreements" others are public.

That is the kinder surprise that Cloudflare brings to you and customers for the "cheapest price for Domains and CDN".

Now you are talking out of your ass, my clients run a couple of illegal anime sites, what cloudflare does is just relay dmca notices to the hosting provider and the client, if client and hosting provider does nothing, cloudflare will never take action as its not hosting anything.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited November 2022

@Ahfaiahkid said:

@sandoz said:
    Laughing hardly. People just buy in Cloudflare because of their "famous CDN" and forget that Cloudflare are just another crappy service like GoDaddy and others big companies.

Now you are talking out of your ass, my clients run a couple of illegal anime sites, what cloudflare does is just relay dmca notices to the hosting provider and the client, if client and hosting provider does nothing, cloudflare will never take action as its not hosting anything.

I see that you don't read the news. But Cloudflare is actively helping copyright holders. One of them is ACE.

Because your clients have illegal websites doesn't mean nothing. Perhaps are too small or less attracted. But when they will be on the list you can be sure that you will have troubles and not only will facilitate the information like will be a "free gift pack" for them. Consider that a bonus for them. Your "clients" like be wiped as smoothly, fast wind.

Then you will know who are talking "out of ass" or not. ;)

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2022

@Ahfaiahkid said:
    [...] if client and hosting provider does nothing, cloudflare will never take action as its not hosting anything.

Maybe you should have a look at what is a CDN, explained by Cloudflare (if you don't believe other articles). I emphasise the word "cache" here, so please think about what this implies, and extend this cognitive effort onto your case: illegal content cached on Cloudflare servers.

After you exercise all this thinking, come and tell us how your domain will not get suspended in future when Cloudflare will have a huge chunk of domains from internet into their control.

The mighty and powerful guy from school always gets to break the rules, and make some other rules too. It applies to prisons too, and it applies here too. Let's help Cloudflare grow bigger.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2022

One lesson I am learning here is that people have different concerns regarding domain registrars.

My primary concern is that someone will try to steal ownership and control of my domains, some of which were registered in the mid-1990s. There have been crude attempts, but nothing serious yet. I want my domain registrar to fend off unauthorized attempts to take over or capture my domains.

I am not concerned that my domains will be abused or trigger a reaction from a hosting provider or domain registrar. That is because I am the only one who uses them, so abuse is unlikely.

Others here are greatly concerned about abuse issues that may be out of their immediate control due to actions by malevolent customers or inactions from incompetent customers. That is a different perspective, and it was helpful for me to understand it better. Thanks to those who shared it.

Thanked by 1default
  • kdhkdh Member
    edited November 2022

@sandoz said:

@Ahfaiahkid said:

@sandoz said:

I see that you don't read the news. But Cloudflare is actively helping copyright holders. One of them is ACE.

Because your clients have illegal websites doesn't mean nothing. Perhaps are too small or less attracted. But when they will be on the list you can be sure that you will have troubles and not only will facilitate the information like will be a "free gift pack" for them. Consider that a bonus for them. Your "clients" like be wiped as smoothly, fast wind.

But for most times, what Cloudflare does is they'll simply toss out the contact address of the Origin Server's backend network, which if you call/mail them, they'll probably just ignore or throw it away to the junk box.

Yes, this may be different with Cloudflare Domains but I've never seen someone running into a trouble with it.

Some quite big-sized illegal sites (I'd rather not mention their names) are still using Cloudflare with no problems.

And also, Gandi does suspend your domain if you ignore their emails about abuse reports and stuff. It's just that they don't have that bulls**t immediate-suspention policy like Godaddy and Porkbun do.

• kdhkdh Member
    edited November 2022

[EDIT] My bad, comment accidentally duped.

• emgemg Veteran

@kdh said:

But for most times, what Cloudflare does is they'll simply toss out the contact address of the Origin Server's backend network, which if you call/mail them, they'll probably just ignore or throw it away to the junk box.

Yes, this may be different with Cloudflare Domains but I've never seen someone running into a trouble with it.

Some quite big-sized illegal sites (I'd rather not mention their names) are still using Cloudflare with no problems.

And also, Gandi does suspend your domain if you ignore their emails about abuse reports and stuff. It's just that they don't have that bulls**t immediate-suspention policy like Godaddy and Porkbun do.

Gandi used to be particular about the whois information you provided.

I created a couple domains with Gandi around 12 years ago, because they were one of the very few places that supported DNSSEC at the time. I wanted some hands-on experience with DNSSEC.

I had some domains that I wanted to make public. Rather than my full first name in the registration, I used my first initial (e.g., "J Doe" rather than "John Doe").

Gandi objected to using a first initial. They said that I could run into legal issues over ownership of the domain by using my first initial. They were very insistent, but I never changed the record.

Now they are registered through Cloudflare. The whois information is hidden by them anyway. I am confident that a first initial and the remaining whois information are sufficient to uniquely identify me as the owner of the domains.

• @sandoz said:

And yet most of the illegal public torrent sites are up, most of them are using Cloudflare.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2022

@jcolideles said:

@sandoz said:

And yet most of the illegal public torrent sites are up, most of them are using Cloudflare.

Nothing is free, not even the air we breathe (we need to preserve forests for oxygen). Cloudflare will cash-out big-time, later, after small players are destroyed or affiliated. They will be so popular, people will barely have other cheap and reliable options. Many other registrars are already using Cloudflare's nameservers, even though not many customers realise it (check Porkbun, Namesilo, and many others).

Remember GSuite Legacy? It was free. Then many accepted to pay the imposed subscription, because there were no more similar rivals, or because customers were too accustomed with the existing service. Now Google is so big they can setup rules and invest in creating new protocols which suits their products and services. They barely have any rivals at that price point.

Cloudflare will do the same as history always repeats itself. If we all switch to Cloudflare because it's cheap, other players get eliminated or absorbed in the process, and we will have no other options in future when Cloudflare starts creating their own conditions and rules.

Again: there is always a price to pay, even though sometimes we don't see it or don't want to believe it. It's about investment now, to cash-out later after you shake the market and absorb small players.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited November 2022

@kdh said:

@sandoz said:

@Ahfaiahkid said:

@sandoz said:

Are you sure? Raidforums after moving to Cloudflare domains was their domain "seized" and their forum was been turned in a "honeypot" from FBI and many others ;)

Guess that happen within 1-2 weeks after moving their domains to Cloudflare.

@jcolideles said:

@sandoz said:

No one said that, but you can take a look in RF case. When they moved the domains from the previous domain registar to cloudflare, the website was seized too fast.

Consider it as bonus domain+cloudflare account for CDN that is a good gift for authorities.

I'm not defending anyone, just saying that if they want they have all what they want from you just in one bag.

You don't know but ACE have agreements with Cloudflare and other copyright holders which allow them to know who is behind the cloudflare, guess what if they have domain in cloudflare + cloudflare dns.. What a wonderful gift.

Even for people who are looking for privacy, cloudflare isn't a good option at all, specially if you use it as combo. ;)

https://torrentfreak.com/registrars-failed-to-disable-pirate-site-domains-judge-orders-immediate-action-221116/

(if you search you can see some posts about they moving their main domain to cloudflare after 2-5 days booom, honeypot from FBI ;) )

This is not good for whistleblowers, freedom of speech and many more. That's only my opinion.

Thanked by 1default
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2022

@sandoz said: Are you sure? Raidforums after moving to Cloudflare domains was their domain "seized" and their forum was been turned in a "honeypot" from FBI and many others ;)

This can happen to all US based registrars, not just Cloudflare.

They've to comply with legal requests, not like "Oh! this is a request against RF, lets ignore it and see what happens."

• @FatGrizzly said:

@sandoz said: Are you sure? Raidforums after moving to Cloudflare domains was their domain "seized" and their forum was been turned in a "honeypot" from FBI and many others ;)

This can happen to all US based registrars, not just Cloudflare.

They've to comply with legal requests, not like "Oh! this is a request against RF, lets ignore it and see what happens."

Yes, I know and you have reason. But as I said before. I shouldn't trust and put the same eggs in the same pack.

Cloudflare is all days, all weeks, all entire year being under high pressure to provide details to copyright holders. I should avoid them.

They are first target of Anti-Piracy organizations and other legal corporations.
    I should not trust in them. Using as Cloudflare CDN, it's OK.

I'm not saying to people don't use it, that's my opinion. If you want to use or still using it as combo, perfect. Nothing against it from your side, but from my side yes.

That's just my opinion, some may agree others not.

Thanked by 1default
  • cloudflare is your friend. remember when google used to be your friend? its the same deal. now cloudflare is your friend. trust cloudflare just like you trust google. google is your friend. cloudflare is your friend. friend. friend. they give you free stuff because they're your friend. friend. trust cloudflare. hugglebunnies. friend.

• edited November 2022

Cloudflare proxy is just a MiTM like google. Don't bother to use an SSL from the origin to Cloudflare unless you are concerned about some middle box messing with your data, it just gets decrypted and reencrypted anyways.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2022

@zed said:
    cloudflare is your friend. remember when google used to be your friend? its the same deal. now cloudflare is your friend. trust cloudflare just like you trust google. google is your friend. cloudflare is your friend. friend. friend. they give you free stuff because they're your friend. friend. trust cloudflare. hugglebunnies. friend.

Something tells me you have emotions. Are you sure you're a replicant?! Did you pass the test?

• I, primarily, use CloudFlare for domain registration (and therefore DNS).

It’s easy to use, works anywhere and is fast. Also free.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2022

@emgh said:
    I, primarily, use CloudFlare for domain registration (and therefore DNS).

It’s easy to use, works anywhere and is fast. Also free.

• The United States Department of Defense should take over the .com again , .. the price will be a lot cheaper than now, and they can have the control they want/need.

(nb: .com is under jurisdiction of U.S. law anyhow)

• @emg said: I am curious to understand Cloudflare's motives for driving users to their DNS servers. What value do they get in return for letting you use their DNS? Why is it so important to Cloudflare?

I think it's the reverse. They're not selling domains at their cost with no markup so they can spend more of their resources giving away free DNS. They had been a registrar for a long time as part of their enterprise domain protection service, then opened it up as a freebie for everyone. It adds value to customers of their other services, not the reverse.

@drizbo said: I wanted to change the nameserver to my shared hosting provider's NS for ease of setup (mail etc). I don't think that's possible on normal plan, right?

That's not possible on a paid Business or Enterprise plan either, whether you spend $2400 or $24 million per year. As @sanvit and @eva2000 said above, the Custom Nameserver feature just allows you to use ns1.yourdomain.com for their DNS service instead of bob.ns.cloudflare.com. They assign you 5 dedicated anycast IP's to make that possible, one reason they won't do that for free customers.

@Hxxx said: why use CF at all if you don't want them to log DNS lookups. I mean if is free then you are the product

They keep the raw logs in volatile storage only (never written to disk) for up to 25 hours, then anonymize the data, unless you ask them to keep logs for your own use. I don't know any other provider that would protect privacy like that.

• This is why I never used their domain registrar services. The custom/own name server usage is a very basic function from any domain registrar. There is many other cheap registrar (NameSilo, InternetBS, BookMyName, etc) who provide this generic function. I think it must be a "basic right" to a domain owner/holder (and I don't know this is why not an "ICANN accreditation requirement", rule).

• @sandoz said: Are you sure? Raidforums after moving to Cloudflare domains was their domain "seized" and their forum was been turned in a "honeypot" from FBI and many others

They had been using Cloudflare since May 23, 2015. They switched away at the end of 2021, and then switched back to a new Cloudflare account after the founder was arrested in January 2022. It's likely RF's new registrar/host wouldn't provide them service any longer. Cloudflare took them on and continued to provide them service until they were ordered by a court to stop.

The domain was seized after a federal criminal seizure warrant was issued by a judge. The warrant was requested by the Department of Justice, Secret Service, FBI and IRS in the US, along with Interpol, Europol, and 5 countries who formally invoked an international law enforcement treaty. Ignoring a court order like that would get Cloudflare indicted for criminal conspiracy in multiple countries, and the court would just order Verisign's .com registry to do it anyway.

Cloudflare provides details about how they handle these types of requests, and how many they get in their most recent transparency report.

@sandoz said: I see that you don't read the news. But Cloudflare is actively helping copyright holders. One of them is ACE.

You haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about. Cloudflare was served this subpoena and ordered by a federal district judge to turn over the information to the court, who provided it to ACE. They are not helping ACE or any other DMCA organization in any way whatsoever. In fact, ACE sued Cloudflare again a few weeks ago. They're adversaries, not collaborators.

• Seems like if you are doing nothing illegal, you have nothing to worry ...

• @SteveMC said:
    Seems like if you are doing nothing illegal, you have nothing to worry ...

Seems like you are doing nothing illegal, you have nothing to worry with privacy, then you can let your doors open of your house and your car.

• @sandoz said: Seems like you are doing nothing illegal, you have nothing to worry with privacy, then you can let your doors open of your house and your car.

Not really a good comparison. As long as you're not afraid Cloudflare will actually steal your domains?