Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GreenCloud Kansas down for 2 hours
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GreenCloud Kansas down for 2 hours

https://status.greencloudvps.com/791671833

A service I host for myself was malfunctioning on my VPS and in the middle of trying to fix it the entire node went down for 2h17m. That was kind of annoying, so I post an outage thread. At least it was easy to find their status page so I could stop thinking I broke my VPS.

Comments

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Lowend-vps's come with a few low downtimes.

Can't complain about it. Probably open a ticket with them to check if they provide any credit for downtime.

Thanked by 1crilla
  • @FatGrizzly said:
    Can't complain about it. Probably open a ticket with them to check if they provide any credit for downtime.

I don't think we should expect credit for 2 hours downtime from a LE provider.

• @ravi said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Why not?

• They are not problematic host and outage is rather exception so I really wouldn't bother much...

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@plumberg said:

@ravi said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Why not?

It's just 2 hours anyway, a few low end providers do offer credits. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanked by 2ravi plumberg
  • It didn't annoy me enough to ask for credit, since I just used a different VPS to debug the issue.

• @plumberg said:

@ravi said:

@FatGrizzly said:

Why not?

There is no answer to this WHY.
    I just think so, considering the price of the VPS and the duration of downtime.

But there is nothing wrong in asking for some credit for the downtime :smile:

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • Well, here's an reason why:

Consider my $99 for 3 years 9999 (humble brag). Three years is at least 1095 days, so that's at max $0.0904 per day, which in turn is $0.003767 per hour.

It's not until the outage is over 2 hours and 40 minutes that the lost millions amounts to a single cent. We can probably live without that refund.

Sure, some services are a bit more expensive, but the principle is the same... even on their most expensive 10GB service ($96 a month), that's still only 13¢ per hour.

• It is now sorted to me.

• @ralf said: Three years is at least 1095 days

So, on 999th day they will simply deadpool.

• Mine went down also. Keep in mind that a 99.9% SLA is 8.75 hours of down time per year. I can't even tell ya if there is an SLA on their low end VPS products.

• I get this email from GreenCloud
    Dear customer,

As you have might noticed, starting at around 7:12AM (CST) our Kansas City, MO servers were down. Upon checking with the datacenter, there was an issue with the circuit that was tripped, which also happened last month. To provide a permanent solution, we have asked the electrician to run another circuit and moved over our equipment. The service has been restored at around 9:28AM (CST). In order to prevent it from happening in the future, we have requested the DC to connect additional power for redundancy, but due to their current limitations, this will be scheduled at the end of November. 

We apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused.

If you have any questions, please open a support ticket to our Technical department.

Thanks!

GreenCloud Team

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

I have just sent out an RFO email to the affected customers, would you like to paste it here so you guys you have more details:

Dear customer,

As you have might noticed, starting at around 7:12AM (CST) our Kansas City, MO servers were down. Upon checking with the datacenter, there was an issue with the circuit that was tripped, which also happened last month. To provide a permanent solution, we have asked the electrician to run another circuit and moved over our equipment. The service has been restored at around 9:28AM (CST). In order to prevent it from happening in the future, we have requested the DC to connect additional power for redundancy, but due to their current limitations, this will be scheduled at the end of November. 

We apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused.

If you have any questions, please open a support ticket to our Technical department.

Thanks!

GreenCloud Team

Power related issues can happen with any DCs, but I would like to thank WSI/Nocix for working with us with a permanent solution. So what have we done so far to prevent the same issue from happening in the future:

• Move to other circuit/PDU.
    • Scheduled to add additional power (requested last month but can only be done at the end of November).
  • Confirm, my probe shows the connection was lost at 07:09 and recovered at 09:30 CST.
    No data loss.