Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


What are seedboxes - what are they actually for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

What are seedboxes - what are they actually for?

The impression I get about seedboxes is they are essentially your own bittorrent computer that you host on a provider where you can share and directly download the files you want when you they are ready.

The advantage being that because it is not your home computer your ISP cannot be approached by copyright holders to hand over the details of the infringer if relevant, and your home account will not be doing the high amount of downloads which damage the ISPs profit margins inspite of their claims of allowing unlimited uploads.

Is that basically it?

Comments

  • Ponury_TypPonury_Typ Member
    edited November 13

    They are for seeding linux iso's

  • @Ponury_Typ said: They are for seeding linux iso's

    That is such a great public service, but what is in it for the seedbox owners, what do they get in return? Just the warm feeling in the heart of having performed such a nice public service?

    Are the box owners simply willing to give up all that bandwidth for free or does the value of the stuff they are able to download in return outweigh the costs for them?

    Thanked by 1Saahib
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seedbox

    from page above here is the important part "seedboxes tend to be popular when using private torrent trackers, where maintaining an share ratio above 1 can be very important"

  • Some also function as a Plex/Emby/Jellyfin server. So you can host your legally obtained content.

  • Ponury_TypPonury_Typ Member
    edited November 13

    @rchurch said:

    @Ponury_Typ said: They are for seeding linux iso's

    That is such a great public service, but what is in it for the seedbox owners, what do they get in return? Just the warm feeling in the heart of having performed such a nice public service?

    Are the box owners simply willing to give up all that bandwidth for free or does the value of the stuff they are able to download in return outweigh the costs for them?

    They are getting this thing called money in return for providing their services. Anything can become a seedbox, like in my case a docker container running on netcup root server or it can be a dedicated service that is manage by company. In booth cases company is providing You with resources that You are paying for and its up to You how You gonna use them. You can use them for good (like seeding opensource projects) or for evil (seeding copyright materials on private torrent trackers).

  • defaultdefault Member
    edited November 13

    @rchurch said:
    The impression I get about seedboxes is they are essentially your own bittorrent computer that you host on a provider where you can share and directly download the files you want when you they are ready.

    The advantage being that because it is not your home computer your ISP cannot be approached by copyright holders to hand over the details of the infringe if relevant, and your home account will not be doing the high amount of downloads which damage the ISPs profit margins inspite of their claims of allowing unlimited uploads.

    Is that basically it?

    All this is true. Some other reasons to be added:

    • seeding on the private trackers (in order to keep your private account ratio above 1);
    • avoiding the law with some copyrighted materials (as it will not target your actual family);
    • keeping the service as storage until you wish to download just what is needed from seedbox (because not all content is actually used by you - like downloading something just for the sake of sharing);
    • mount the content and view it straight from the server (without downloading);
    • saving on electricity (because you do not need your computer powered constantly while electricity in European Union is a luxury nowadays);
    • bypassing Great Firewall of China (for the people affected by this ugly shit);
    • having a small sense of privacy and freedom (since corporations constantly want to add more limitations and rules to Internet, against your own privacy and freedom);
    Thanked by 1rchurch
  • emgemg Member

    @default said: [...] avoiding the law with some copyrighted materials (as it will not target your actual family); [...]

    What assumptions are behind your "avoiding the law" statement?

    (Are you assuming that the seedbox is in a different country, outside the jurisdiction of local law enforcement, for example?)

  • @emg said:

    @default said: [...] avoiding the law with some copyrighted materials (as it will not target your actual family); [...]

    What assumptions are behind your "avoiding the law" statement?

    (Are you assuming that the seedbox is in a different country, outside the jurisdiction of local law enforcement, for example?)

    You got it. You know there are providers who don't quite care about many copyright complaints.

    Thanked by 1emg
  • lq9xlq9x Member

    This one, right? Not really sure.

  • ralfralf Member

    @lq9x said:
    This one, right? Not really sure.

    No, like this:

    Thanked by 1lq9x
  • Seedbox is when you seed your money and hoster leech it. Just buy damn home server.

  • rm_rm_ Member
    edited November 13

    @LTniger said: Seedbox is when you seed your money and hoster leech it. Just buy damn home server.

    I'd say just rent a KS1. Not everyone has fast Internet at home, or wants to have the upload saturated 24/7. Not to mention it seems more dangerous to do copyright infringement from the home connection, than from a DC server, even if it's rented in your name.

    Thanked by 1default
  • defaultdefault Member
    edited November 13

    @rm_ said:

    @LTniger said: Seedbox is when you seed your money and hoster leech it. Just buy damn home server.

    I'd say just rent a KS1. Not everyone has fast Internet at home, or wants to have the upload saturated 24/7. Not to mention it seems more dangerous to do copyright infringement from the home connection, than from a DC server, even if it's rented in your name.

    True. Do not transform your house into a garden. One never knows what "bugs" and "bacteria" might come to get you. One should use a datacenter for this, because it is much safer for oneself and for family.

    Now even energy companies monitor the usage of electricity. So if a customer goes "green", they will also know.

  • Nah. Get terrahost BF deal, setup wireguard, pump traffic via VPN and you are good. Of course everything depends on country. But either way, seedboxes are luxurious items as even private trackers laxed their strict ratio rules.

  • WickedWicked Member
    edited November 13

    I’ve been using seedboxes for a few years now;

    • Seeding on private trackers.
    • Connecting the seedbox with Plex.

    If you go with Ultra.cc or Feral there are tons of apps, proxy and more fun stuff.

  • rm_rm_ Member
    edited November 13

    @LTniger said: Nah. Get terrahost BF deal, setup wireguard, pump traffic via VPN and you are good. Of course everything depends on country. But either way, seedboxes are luxurious items as even private trackers laxed their strict ratio rules.

    Which BF deal do you mean? I see they only have a dedi thread active right now.

    And yes that's certainly an option. But still, carefully consider the financials:
    A: KS1 = 5.6 EUR/month, problem solved
    or
    B: Possibly upgrading your home Internet so that it has a headroom of 100 Mbit UL/DL over your other usage to not interfere with it, plus the cost of the jump box VPS = that's how much? 5.6 EUR? or could be much more?

  • LTnigerLTniger Member
    edited November 13

    @rm_ said: Which BF deal do you mean?

    My deal is almost 2 years old. It is lil, golden box for 9.99/year. 600+ days uptime. Solid. Pumping deluge traffic like a boss via that box.

Sign In or Register to comment.