Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


self-host NS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

self-host NS

kaitkait Member

Hi,

I want to host my own nameserver because why not. I know about PowerDNS and NSD from NLnet labs. What are some other good options and what do you persons recommend? Don't know how anycast works yet but geodns (giving IP based on the location) is also a funny thing.
What else can I do so that people from the US connect to the US vps and from the EU connect to the EU vps.

Bye

Comments

  • Bind9 is what ive used in the past.

  • If you are not familiar you would want to go with PowerDNS, as it offers nice CLI and (third party) GUI.

  • NeoonNeoon Member, Community Contributor

    nsd + nsd-api, prem stuff.

  • kaitkait Member

    @denellum said:
    Bind9 is what ive used in the past.

    @Kousaka said:
    If you are not familiar you would want to go with PowerDNS, as it offers nice CLI and (third party) GUI.

    @Neoon said:
    nsd + nsd-api, prem stuff.

    Forgot about bind9.
    I currently have 2 vps's and want to add a 3rd. Might try all 3 out at some point but PowerDNS with the third part https://github.com/PowerDNS-Admin/PowerDNS-Admin admin panel seems to be nice.

    Which one of these 3 options offer metrics to see how many requests it resolved and stuff like that?

  • @kait said: Which one of these 3 options offer metrics to see how many requests it resolved and stuff like that?

    Looks like with powerdns you can do that and parse it out to Graphite : https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/metrics.html

    You can make some pretty cool stats!

    Thanked by 1kait
  • NeoonNeoon Member, Community Contributor

    @kait said:

    @denellum said:
    Bind9 is what ive used in the past.

    @Kousaka said:
    If you are not familiar you would want to go with PowerDNS, as it offers nice CLI and (third party) GUI.

    @Neoon said:
    nsd + nsd-api, prem stuff.

    Forgot about bind9.
    I currently have 2 vps's and want to add a 3rd. Might try all 3 out at some point but PowerDNS with the third part https://github.com/PowerDNS-Admin/PowerDNS-Admin admin panel seems to be nice.

    Which one of these 3 options offer metrics to see how many requests it resolved and stuff like that?

    you need a MariaDB / MySQL cluster for that on all 3 nodes, plus a vpn interconnecting them, if you don't wanna bother with setting up TLS on the database nodes.

    If you have just 2, this is not an option.

    Thanked by 1kait
  • kaitkait Member

    @denellum said:

    @kait said: Which one of these 3 options offer metrics to see how many requests it resolved and stuff like that?

    Looks like with powerdns you can do that and parse it out to Graphite : https://doc.powerdns.com/recursor/metrics.html

    You can make some pretty cool stats!

    Oh, en grafana for cool looking graphs.

  • darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited November 10

    PowerDNS is a great choice - problematic features like DNSSEC and slaves automatically picking up new master zones are easy to setup

    I went down the GUI rabbit hole for it, but now I just use the CLI. pdnsutil edit-zone does pretty much everything you'd need a GUI for - tidying, verification, automatic serial bumping

  • kaitkait Member

    @darkimmortal said:
    PowerDNS is a great choice - problematic features like DNSSEC and slaves automatically picking up new master zones are easy to setup

    I went down the GUI rabbit hole for it, but now I just use the CLI. pdnsutil edit-zone does pretty much everything you'd need a GUI for - tidying, verification, automatic serial bumping

    Sounds like a solid option, my friend used nsd but switched to powerdns, might just give that a shot first.

  • kaitkait Member

    Update: Installed PowerDNS and PowerDNS-Admin via one docker-compose.yml, all worked except for one problem that I fixed with a workaround. Happy to say it works and thanks for your valuable input.

  • You can do that with KeyHelp WebPanel

    https://www.keyhelp.de/en/

Sign In or Register to comment.