Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Those Scans from 18.171.7.246 and 35.177.10.231 are the UK Gov't
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Those Scans from 18.171.7.246 and 35.177.10.231 are the UK Gov't

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The British government is scanning the Internet (or at least what they perceive as the UK part of it).

You can opt out.

Thanked by 2emg Zeniic

Comments

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

lol

• emgemg Veteran

Unwritten:

Will the UK government try to inform and assist UK businesses with exploitable vulnerabilities?
    (My guess: Not initially and probably never.)

Did the UK government add "A hostile foreign government or hacking group steals the database with the vulnerabilities list for UK businesses" to its cybersecurity risk assessment and mitigation plans?
    (My guess: No. Did they consider it? My guess: Yes, but they are not concerned. After all, they are the UK government and they have the best cyber security experts available, so the chances that the database could be hacked are too remote to be a concern.)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I mean, just to save them some trouble in case they accidentally target the wrong servers:

root@gw:~# for i in 18.171.7.246 35.177.10.231; do darun ip route add blackhole $i && cprun ip route add blackhole $i; done

• tjntjn Member
    edited November 2022

Don't the Germans do something similar?
    I remember receiving emails from the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) via Hetzner support for some of my dedi's with them.

Edit: I guess it isn't hugely different to something like Shodan.

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Scanning the internet means, scanning the UK IPS and networks or the entire internet?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

IIRC, HD Moore did something similar many years ago, but it was the entire Internet I believe - for research purposes of course :smiley:

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@emg said:
    Unwritten:

Will the UK government try to inform and assist UK businesses with exploitable vulnerabilities?
    (My guess: Not initially and probably never.)

NSA and GCHQ still exist, they at least here do it publicly so I guess yes.

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited November 2022

@tjn said: Don't the Germans do something similar?

Yup, one of the things that they look is telnet banners on port 23. I received a notice once for running a honeypot.

• emgemg Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:

Yup, one of the things that they look is telnet banners on port 23. I received a notice once for running a honeypot.

... and how did they find you to send that notice?

• @emg said:

@stevewatson301 said:

... and how did they find you to send that notice?

It automatically gets dispatched to the owner of the IP address, the ISP/provider then forward it on to the relevant client.

Thanked by 1emg
  • AllHost_RepAllHost_Rep Member, Patron Provider

They've been doing this for years. We (a datacentre) get a .csv every morning with a list of IP addresses on it that is running a service that is vulnerable to a known exploit.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • @tjn said:
    Don't the Germans do something similar?
    I remember receiving emails from the Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) via Hetzner support for some of my dedi's with them.

Edit: I guess it isn't hugely different to something like Shodan.

Reasonable ISP's have been doing this for a decade or more since DNS and SNMP amplification attacks years ago.

To get a notice from UK Gov saying port 161 or something is open and potential attack vector and the likes is good for everyone. Full. Stop.

Chinese government is doing it. It's just common sense to do it yourself but actually try and prevent attacks.

Thanked by 1tjn