Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 22.04 on low end VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 22.04 on low end VPS?

Hello,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm not very well versed in this yet. I was looking into getting a small server just for running some Discord bots for my friends and I. I had a server in the past for doing so but the company that I used for it just basically went belly up. Since the server I ran used Ubuntu, I figured I'd use that again so I could keep things familiar.

The problem I'm running into is that Ubuntu seems like it has fairly high end requirements? Like I checked the minimum requirements and they say:
2 GHz dual core processor
4 GiB RAM (system memory)
25 GB (8.6 GB for minimal) of hard-drive space

But when looking at low end servers they still seem like they maybe support it? Like for example, Gullo's Hosting has their most powerful server as having 1GB of RAM and 12GB of Storage and they seem to offer Ubunto 22.04 as an installation template option. But heck, when I go to look at their least powerful server which only has 128MB of RAM and 2GB of storage even that seems to offer an Ubuntu 22.04 installation option.

So like, am I missing something? If I bought one of these servers would I not be able to install the OS template on offer when buying it? I assume I'm the one misunderstanding something due to how new I am, but I also don't want to waste money on something that isn't going to do what I want.

Sorry for my ignorance, and thank you for any potential help!

Comments

• mrs92mrs92 Member
    edited November 2022

Ubuntu Desktop vs Ubuntu Server?
    You are comparing a big strawberry and a small one.
    Anyway congrats on your first post. :smile:

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • nick_nick_ Member
    edited November 2022

That's a minimal template. Such an image runs fine on 256MB RAM and above. 128MB RAM also can but it's too low. The aforementioned requirements for Ubuntu are for desktop usage.

• Those requirements are 100 % for the desktop variant, if you need a GUI and that GUI has to be the full-fleged Ubuntu Desktop that is.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • Anyway, a better non-answer to your question: Look into Debian.

Thanked by 1tjn
  • Ah I see, hm. I really like having a GUI because I'm new so it's a bit easier while I'm getting used to it all. This puts me on the right track, thanks very much for the friendly help that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate it a lot, thanks!

Thanked by 1denellum
  • nullroutenullroute Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2022

Debian might be lighter and is definitely the parent project of Ubuntu.

• KousakaKousaka Member
    edited November 2022

Should be fine if you have more than 512MB. I have a Debian 11 installation from ISO that only takes ~50MB with no service running. Distros themselves are not memory intensive.

• Debian without desktop environment should work fine on 256MB+ RAM machine, 128MB probably need minimal install to remove unnecessary services but I didn't try.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2022

Ubuntu 22.04 Minimal without Desktop Env (GUI) takes 90-128MB RAM, so I would say minimum to run it is 256MB of RAM.

Desktop Env (GUI) can take even 600-800MB RAM on its own.
    If you need really lightweight GUI take a look at i3wm
    https://github.com/thexavier666/i3_ubuntu_server
    i3wm takes like 50MB RAM, so technically it still would fit under 256MB of RAM, but if you want to run even Firefox then I would say minimum is 512MB of RAM.

Although with current prices you shouldn't go below 1GB of RAM, you are saving nothing and you'll get like 500x neighbors on same physical server if provider is selling such small VPSes.

You can get 1.11GB RAM VPS for $11.11/year here
    https://my.racknerd.com/cart.php?pid=687 (direct)
    https://my.racknerd.com/aff.php?aff=2312&pid=687 (aff)

• @ibigfire said:
    The problem I'm running into is that Ubuntu seems like it has fairly high end requirements? Like I checked the minimum requirements and they say:

I'm not sure where you got this information, but Ubuntu Server Edition's requirements are pretty modest. In addition to a supported 64-bit architecture, the requirements are:

• CPU: 1 gigahertz or better
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte or more
    • Disk: a minimum of 2.5 gigabytes

(From https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/installation )

Of course, if you want to use a server as a desktop computer (with a GUI and all), the requirements will quickly increase

• denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2022

@angstrom said:

@ibigfire said:

I'm not sure where you got this information, but Ubuntu Server Edition's requirements are pretty modest. In addition to a supported 64-bit architecture, the requirements are:

Of course, if you want to use a server as a desktop computer (with a GUI and all), the requirements will quickly increase

He They stated he they were looking at the desktop requirements :)

• @denellum said:

@angstrom said:

@ibigfire said:

He They stated he they were looking at the desktop requirements :)

Actually, the OP doesn't say this in their opening post, but later, yes, I see :)

In any case, an Ubuntu template offered by a server provider will most likely be based on Ubuntu Server Edition, unless stated otherwise

• Debian.
    Alpine?