Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spec for forum has 500 or 1k members online same time?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Spec for forum has 500 or 1k members online same time?

I'm wondering what spec is enough for a forum (prefer NodeBB or Flarum) that has 500 or 1k members online same time? Do I need SSD? Or HDD would be enough? Wanna purchase a server that has enough specs on BF, any recommendations? Thank you, guys!

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Can't imagine any benefit, these days, in using an hdd. Ssd storage is so cheap and so much faster and so much more reliable (in almost all cases).

Thanked by 2AXYZE TanXS
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

There are a lot of factors to your question,
    But i would generally recommend SSD+HDD setup, where hdd is for uploads and MySQL stays on SSD.

Something like around 16G ram should be enough for your setup I guess, and choose a nice CPU.

Thanked by 1TanXS
  • Look for HDD VPS in 2022? REALLY? You will get a huge amount of money from your site.
    Don't waste your time. Just hire an expert if you are not familiar with technical problems.

Thanked by 1TanXS
  • I'm kinda know what I'm looking for, thank you all for responding!

• HDD just for storage now

• The only thing hdd good is storage server— always stick to SSD for any other use cases.

• @jbiloh the question is...
    is it cheap enough? :#

• For any database heavy applications you shouldn't go for HDD these days. BTW I have hosted nodebb and it really doesn't need much resources. You can look at this topic from 2014 to see it yourself : https://community.nodebb.org/topic/2596/memory-requirements-for-100-concurrent-users/6

From my experience, a 2core - 2GB of RAM should be enough for 1k concurrent users in nodebb. Also you can use loader.io to test your forum too, free plan can test for up to 10k concurrent connection.

Thanked by 2TanXS dev077