Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up a personal #Mastodon instance - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up a personal #Mastodon instance

2»

Comments

• edited November 2022

@vitobotta said:

@Offshore_Solutions said:

@vitobotta said:

@vitobotta said:

@vitobotta said:
    Mastodon is growing like crazy right now because of what's happening at Twitter, so I wrote a post on how I set up my own personal instance to be in control.

https://vitobotta.com/2022/11/07/setting-up-a-personal-mastodon-instance/

Are you on Mastodon already? Share your handle. My profile is https://botta.social/@vito

Cool post Vito! So glad to see someone else into Fediverse/Mastodon. I'll send a follow request.
    This is me, https://Mastodon.tech
    In exactly 3 weeks, we gained 183

Intersting! I am learning so much new stuff. Is Pleroma fully compatible with Mastodon? Was switching easy? Did you gain something else besides lower resource consumption and did you lose any features or even data with the migration?

I'm not a techie so I paid my System Admin to setup Pleroma. He likes it better than Mastodon which gave us more difficulty.

Yes, Pleroma and Mastodon are fully compatible in that they equally use the ActivityPub to connect. There's no advantage of connectivity of 2 Mastodon instances over that of a Pleroma to Mastodon instance.

I've found advantages in Pleroma. Mastodon easily blocks each other on the instance level. If too many Mastodon instances block yours because of dumb things one of your users posted, it's easy to be isolated and see your users leave because no one wants to be isolated from the while Fediverse. That's what happened to Gab.

The two Germams that founded these social networks are not fond of each other. The founder of Pleroma, Lain, programed Pleroma to be harder to block out of spite.

Those blocked Pleroma instances tell me their posts sometimes get through to the Mastodon servers.

From the user's POV the biggest arguments for Pleroma are:
    1) A higher default character limit, making a Pleroma account more akin to a Tumblr account. Thus you don't have to use "(x/y)" just because you need to elaborate a bit or you can make a "quote, own comment, quote, own comment"-post like you are used to from Reddit.

2) Better thread overview about who answered to whom.

• edited November 2022

@scooke said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: But the whole Fediverse refers to itself as "Mastodon" so those running Pleroma are a minority.

Really? This statement of yours is the first time I've heard anything remotely like it. You may as well help the overall cause by not calling what you are using "Mastodon" if it isn't specifically Mastodon. But it looks like your federated instance IS using Mastodon. At any rate, your article is quite handy. Thanks!

You'd be shocked & isn't helped that Mastodon's founder calls the entire Fediverse the "Mastodon Network" which is echoed across the Fediverse.

The German founder of Pleroma (Lain) is sarcastic and trolled the Mastodon founder (Eugen Rochko) yesterday by asking for an "Amnesty across the Mastodon Network," as you can see from the picture below:

Screenshot-20221108-150232-Chrome

It looks like "Mastodon" to you because you're probably seeing our subdomain where we run a "Mastodon" like interface for those who prefer it: https://m.Mastodon.tech/
    But believe it or not, even that is Pleroma, there's no Mastodon installed on our VPS.

• I have a quick look at the Pleroma. I can see that Mastodon documentation is much better than Pleroma. Mastodon has guides to scale out the system, add cache, etc. You can do the same for Pleroma but if it is in the documentation then it is better than exploring yourself

• @quanhua92 said:
    I have a quick look at the Pleroma. I can see that Mastodon documentation is much better than Pleroma. Mastodon has guides to scale out the system, add cache, etc. You can do the same for Pleroma but if it is in the documentation then it is better than exploring yourself

You're correct that Mastodon is better documented, especially when it comes to guide for migration from Mastodon to Pleroma.

• Anyone know how to get mastodon to send emails via SMTP with MXroute. It sent the test email when I installed it but its not sending anything now

• i forgot i had an account on linux.pizza, this post reminded me

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Offshore_Solutions said: Mastodon easily blocks each other on the instance level. If too many Mastodon instances block yours because of dumb things one of your users posted, it's easy to be isolated and see your users leave because no one wants to be isolated from the while Fediverse. That's what happened to Gab.

The two Germams that founded these social networks are not fond of each other. The founder of Pleroma, Lain, programed Pleroma to be harder to block out of spite.

@Offshore_Solutions said: The German founder of Pleroma (Lain) is sarcastic and trolled the Mastodon founder (Eugen Rochko) yesterday by asking for an "Amnesty across the Mastodon Network," as you can see from the picture below:

So FOSS social networks are just as nasty and petty as corporate social networks 🤣

"My network is not going to federate with your network!" LOL.

The problem isn't the license or the technology. It's humans.

• So, from what I can tell, TLDR:

Q: What's better than a fediverse?
    A: n fediverses!

• Just got a self hosted version of moa.party working. Crossposting between Twitter and Mastodon is now instant :p I'll write a follow up post about it. The public moa.party as well as another cross poster available are used by a ton of people so they suffer from massive delays

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • @raindog308 said:

@Offshore_Solutions said: Mastodon easily blocks each other on the instance level. If too many Mastodon instances block yours because of dumb things one of your users posted, it's easy to be isolated and see your users leave because no one wants to be isolated from the while Fediverse. That's what happened to Gab.

@Offshore_Solutions said: The German founder of Pleroma (Lain) is sarcastic and trolled the Mastodon founder (Eugen Rochko) yesterday by asking for an "Amnesty across the Mastodon Network," as you can see from the picture below:

So FOSS social networks are just as nasty and petty as corporate social networks 🤣

You are 100% correct 😆

• FaceBook has ruined the world into thinking most people give a fuck about what most people have to say.

• denellumdenellum Member, Host Rep

so... mastadon, Pleroma, or soapbox. cant decide wondering if the extra cost of hardware requirements are worth it.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @raindog308 said:

To make it all crazier - the panic and "I'm leaving Twitter" started when the new owner pronounced they will try to protect the free speech (reduce censorship on the platform). WTF?!? :)

Thanked by 1Offshore_Solutions
  • I wrote a follow up on self hosting a crossposter between Mastodon and Twitter

https://vitobotta.com/2022/11/12/setting-up-a-mastodon-twitter-crossposter/