Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange Request?? Some "Test" files to download...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange Request?? Some "Test" files to download...

Good Morning Everyone

I have what might be considered a bit of a strange request. I have my new 50Mbps internet being installed today and I would like to test out the line once the techs are done to see if it truly is 50 downstream.

I'm wondering if some of the LET providers here would mind posting a link to some of their test files I often see posted when they have a VPS offering??

Ideally, the location would be in Toronto or Montreal. Buffalo would also probably be a great option.

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong category, or just a inappropriate request.

Thanks!
AC

Comments

• why not use speedtest.net or so many other speedtest that can be found online?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
  • It's residential. LOL. Thanks for the links!!

• ACaton said: It's residential. LOL. Thanks for the links!!

so is mine :) but i get 133Mbps

• Thanks for the suggestion! I thought about using speedtest.net (actually, what I should say is I _will _use it), I have found though and maybe it's just me, that the results I get are sometimes very "random".

For example, currently I have a 6Mbps line. Sometimes I would get an accurate reading, othertimes it would read 2.5, 4.0. The results are often all over the place.

Also, I wanted to see a sustained file download of around 1GB in size.

• @TarZZ92 said:

I also live in an Internet Third World Country ... Canada.

• ACaton said: I also live in an Internet Third World Country ... Canada.

I live in UK, i always thought canada had really good internet. since you are near the US (with all those peering points etc)

• It's hard to have good internet in countries with huge territory. And Canada is a big country.

• List of some test files: http://www.test-ip.org/updates/

• @rds100 said:
    It's hard to have good internet in countries with huge territory. And Canada is a big country.

I should clarify and say it's not the "service" specifically, that is poor. It's the COST for the service. The telco's here impose Bandwidth Caps etc. (this is the simplified version, I won't get into all the politics) and the cost is high. For example:

$30 per month, 6Mbps, 100GB limit. That's about as entry level as you can get. (Also one of the cheapest).
    $45 per month, 30Mbps, 275GB limit.
    $75 per month, 50Mbps, No Bandwidth Cap (this is my new install.)

• KerberosKerberos Member
    edited December 2013

@Spirit said:
    List of some test files: http://www.test-ip.org/updates/

Thanks @Spirit !!

• When they say 50mbps, it never really is as advertised. Might even say on the fine small print saying that it's not guaranteed to cover the isp's bumm

• The big territory / big distances make it very expensive for new infrastructure (optic cables) to be built. So there is almost no competition. No competition means high prices.
    In Europe, where most countries are with much higher population density it's relatively cheaper to build infrastructure (shorter distances) so there is more competition. Which brings the prices down.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2013

ACaton said: For example, currently I have a 6Mbps line. Sometimes I would get an accurate reading, othertimes it would read 2.5, 4.0. The results are often all over the place.

Then your ISP provides you a speed that's highly varying and is lower than advertised. Also no, you probably don't have a 6 Mbps line in the first place, you have an up to 6 Mbps* line.

...* "depends on various factors and is not guaranteed beyond ISP's own network"

• nieniel said: When they say 50mbps, it never really is as advertised. Might even say on the fine small print saying that it's not guaranteed to cover the isp's bumm

That depends on the network does it not.. docsis (cable broadband) can deliver it. sometimes over. as in my case. but with DSL its different because it's distance related too.

• Try

wget dl.getipaddr.net/speedtest.sh 2>/dev/null -O- | bash 

There's a Buffalo, NY location and a server in OVH's BHS facility in Quebec.

• ACaton said: $30 per month, 6Mbps, 100GB limit. That's about as entry level as you can get.

And we have 6Mbps 10 GB cap for $22. :(

• @rds100 said:
    It's hard to have good internet in countries with huge territory. And Canada is a big country.

Now where did I heard that one before...yes, my ISP..except its the opposite

"Unfortunately we have smaller customer base(small country) compared to US or UK..blablabla...lower ROI..."

But once they have worthy competitor, everything changes :)

• @rds100 said:
    The big territory / big distances make it very expensive for new infrastructure (optic cables) to be built. So there is almost no competition. No competition means high prices.
    In Europe, where most countries are with much higher population density it's relatively cheaper to build infrastructure (shorter distances) so there is more competition. Which brings the prices down.

That has often been said. But it have been the nordic countries with almost no population covering a huge landmass that have fibre-networks since the beginning. I guess it's more about regulation that makes it costly to build a huge network covering a broad area.

• Here is a list I have. Some links are likely outdated.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8897493&postcount=7

• @ska they have fiber networks covering the areas where nobody lives? Or the cities with universities?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

That's expensive. Even Mexico have a ~$110 package with 200mbps synchronous, unlimited calls and TVoIP (I don't really know if that's the name). It is not capped btw

• skaska Member
    edited December 2013

@rds100 said:
    ska they have fiber networks covering the areas where nobody lives? Or the cities with universities?

Norway has a ratio of ~95/100 of their inhabitants who have access to the internet. And the standard-connection is either fibre or cable. And keeping in mind that they only have around 5 mio inhabitants but nearly 400k km^2 landmass and big cities are already considered as big who have around 20k-40k inhabitants, I don't see how the sole arguement of a wide-spread area is such a big obstacle for a network-access.

If you compare that to Germany i.e., you have a country with one of the biggest population density (80 mio inhabitants, yet only 350k km^2 landmass), yet some of the villages that have around 20k-40k inhabitants don't even have broadband. So Norway has around 50k km^2 more landmass but only around 7% of the population that Germany has, yet most of them [Norwegian inhabitants] have access to broadband.

• joelgm said: And we have 6Mbps 10 GB cap for $22. :(

i have 3mb for 50/mo

is very expensive here at mexico

• lol Canada is the most expensive for any type of Teleco service in the world. It sucks especially when you watch the US Teleco providers and their prices and unlimited offerings.. here we are being charged bandwidth as if it is a consumable commodity lol

• In Canada Teksavvy offers unlimited internet for DSL and Cable. There is also Velcom and Acanac for DSL, but still think Teksavvy is the better CO.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

There was his site who have ALOT of speedtest links all around the world but I can't remember the url. :(