Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tempest.net (formally Path) wiped my data
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tempest.net (formally Path) wiped my data

I was having issues with tempest recently, they started allocating IPv4's randomly I opened a ticket and asked them about this and they claim it was by mistake allocated and removed it, It was nothing wrong with it, but after that they gave me 4 IPv4's out of no where and my server IP got changed, once again I opened a ticket and asked them about this, at this point my server went offline and after checking it they said it was a system bug that caused an IP change and data wipe, they offered me 7 additional days, now what I think what happen is someone bought a dedicated server from there and gained access to my server and after 4 minutes of it being in changed ip stage it started randomly reinstalling, I think its caused by customer or tempest systems itself. I'm still very pissed having all data wiped for no reason and they couldn't do anything, but offer 7 additional days.
They even refused to give my original IP back, because my original IP was being allocated to new customer.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Regardless who the provider is, if your data is important to you, be responsible enough to make backups.

Thanked by 2ralf bdl
  • I did have backups (kinda old), but its still annoying losing all data and causing major downtime

• LoL. Cannot help chuckling here.

You register an account and make the first post to trash a provider, where you don't seem to see anything wrong about not taking any backups yourself...

Good luck.

• I do take backups weekly, I literally had this server for 5 days

@MeowCatto said: I did have backups (kinda old), but its still annoying losing all data

So you had backups, albeit "kinda old", then how did you end up with "losing all data"?

• Well, There was some new files that werent on backup box, okay its not all, but most of it

• Hi weasel

• Bye weasel

• @DP said: Regardless who the provider is, if your data is important to you, be responsible enough to make backups.

Yeah sure, but regardless of the state of your backup, no provider should wipe your dedicated server out of the blue, wtf?

Thanked by 1Kebab
  • MikeDVBMikeDVB Member, Host Rep

@afn said:

@DP said: Regardless who the provider is, if your data is important to you, be responsible enough to make backups.

Yeah sure, but regardless of the state of your backup, no provider should wipe your dedicated server out of the blue, wtf?

Bugs happen, mistakes happen. The more something is automated the more likely that automation has to cause a problem if it's incorrect / there's a bug.

I don't dispute it's a terrible situation / sucks / isn't great - but no amount of complaining is going to roll back the clock.

Learn from this - moving forward always keep a recent off-provider backup of your data no matter who your provider is or what they promise.

We're all humans working in the real world with hardware designed, engineered, and built by humans running software designed, engineered, and built by humans. It's not a matter of if a bug will ever negatively affect you but when.

Thanked by 1afn
    edited November 2022

@afn said:

@DP said: Regardless who the provider is, if your data is important to you, be responsible enough to make backups.

Based on the screenshot, it didn’t appear that they (Tempest/Path) deliberately wiped the server, but it was due to a bug in their deployment system.

There’s a difference.

Thanked by 2afn MikeDVB
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2022

@MeowCatto said:
    I do take backups weekly, I literally had this server for 5 days

I would inquire about a refund and move to another provider.

One, they didn't actually find and fix the problem, so it may/will happen again. Based on how quickly they responded, this sounds like a known issue that happened before. Based on your IP rant, it sounds like their system is really shitting the bed.

Two, 3 days compensation? They did everything they could in 15 minutes to recover your data? (Your data likely wasn't overwritten and likely could have been recovered from bootdisk and recovery tools but would involve kicking off the 2nd customer). Oh boy, I'm sure they really learned their lesson and it won't happen again. /s

Not to victim blame, but you also need to backup your data commiserate with how often the data changes. You automate that shit and do it daily.

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • Lol 3 days of service for something on their end, that's pretty funny.

edited November 2022

I would inquire about a refund and move to another provider.

Probably not bad advice.

One, they didn't actually find and fix the problem, so it may/will happen again. Based on how quickly they responded, this sounds like a known issue that happened before. Based on your IP rant, it sounds like their system is really shitting the bed.

Maybe - or maybe their system just keeps logs good enough to make it clear what happened without having to look too hard. Us systems administrators always like that sort of thing ;).

I 100% agree about it not being 'fixed' yet though. I would ask them about that if you intend to keep using their service. Something like, "Can you assure me in any way that this won't happen again?"

Two, 3 days compensation?

That does seem a bit low on the 'we actually care that we screwed up' scale but at the end of the day you can vote with your wallet and move on. I mean they already lost the data so it's not like you'd have to do any sort of actual migration more than you'd already have to do.

They did everything they could in 15 minutes to recover your data? (Your data likely wasn't overwritten and likely could have been recovered from bootdisk and recovery tools but would involve kicking off the 2nd customer).

If the server was reprovisioned I wouldn't rely too heavily on being able to get anything off of the drives. If it were decommissioned and wiped and then not yet reprovisioned - absolutely. If reprovisioned maybe you could get some data maybe not.

Then again unless the provider specializes in / is knowledgeable about data recovery in such situations I wouldn't hold my breath. It's likely cheaper for them to just lose you as a customer than it is to invest the time and/or money into trying to recover data that may not even be fully intact while damaging a relationship with yet another client.

Oh boy, I'm sure they really learned their lesson and it won't happen again. /s

One would hope so - but then again - this is the first time I've seen a report of this. I would think if it were more common we'd see more reports but ... maybe not?

Not to victim blame, but you also need to backup your data commiserate with how often the data changes. You automate that shit and do it daily.

Yup. 100%

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

Aren't you the one running catto.cc/cattoshield?
    Did you use this blade server as a PoP for your service?

• PeterPPeterP Member, Host Rep

Hey folks. Speaking on behalf of the Tempest team here as the Senior Systems Engineer in the screenshot shown in the OP.

Unfortunately the issue experienced by OP was something that we have yet to see occur with DCImanager since deploying it back in December 2021. When OP reported the issue making us aware, we investigated and reported it to the developers of DCImanager who we are currently awaiting a response from their level 2 support team Monday. Due to the way the software works, there is no way to recover the data once the drives are wiped. We originally offered 3 days of extended service due to the issues experienced (as shown in the screenshot in the OP) and had then offered 7 days. OP had declined and requested a refund shortly after, which considering the circumstances we had processed in-full to the original payment method.

Having experienced this issue myself before at another host (who I will leave unnamed as this thread isn’t about them), I personally know how how it feels to have all of my data disappear in mere seconds without warning. As mentioned by some others here, backups should always be something you have to consider implementing when using someone else’s infrastructure, even if they say they take some themselves (which a majority of companies offering dedicated servers do not including Tempest).

I hope this has answered any previous and awaiting questions that anyone has regarding this thread.

• @PeterP said: DCImanager

Disgusting.

• kasodkkasodk Barred
    edited November 2022

@PeterP

You are using Russian software developed by a company (ispsystem/AstraLinux) with strong ties to the Russian army and FSB.

Has FSB sent you a thank you letter for lending them a server with 4 IP addresses?
    Or was it just a bug?

www.ispsystem.ru
    www.ispsystem.com/news/astra-ispsystem
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astra_Linux

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited November 2022

@kasodk said:
    @PeterP

You are using Russian software developed by a company (ispsystem/AstraLinux) with strong ties to the Russian army and FSB.

Has FSB sent you a thank you letter for lending them a server with 4 IP addresses?
    Or was it just a bug?

www.ispsystem.ru

They sent this out not too long ago, and after the reactions from customers, they claimed they got hacked lol.

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/179692/ispsystem-recent-email-russian-colab/

On a side note, they might just as well be innocent, and it really was a hack and they have no intention or need to share anything with government.

@kasodk said:
    @PeterP

Or was it just a bug?

www.ispsystem.ru

I guess you should vote with your wallet and not sign up for their services if you believe what you say ;).

• SillyGooseSillyGoose Member
    edited November 2022

No comments....