Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to send server-generated admin emails
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to send server-generated admin emails

Hi there,
I've been running my own Mailcow mailserver instance just to receive server-generated admin e-mails from Logcheck, Cron-job output and the like. Since my provider (OVH) is now starting to charge for every IP address I'm looking for a different, ideally a zero-cost solution since it's just 10-20 emails per day.

Here's what I tried so far:

• Smarthost MTA config on the servers to send all e-mail to a dedicated Gmail account (using the same email address as the destination). The problem: all e-mails are visible in the Sent folder, they won't show up in the Inbox (a de-clutter feature according to Google). Yeah, obviously a 2nd Gmail account would most likely solve this but I just don't like the idea.

• Sending the server-generated e-mails to emailforwarding.net. This actually works nicely even on their free plan. Super simple & clean setup, I don't even need SMTP credentials. The problem: their MX servers do not support IPv6. Since I want to start using IPv6-only (virtual) servers that's not gonna work for me.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• 1 server for outgoing mail enabled and use Smarthost MTA config to send email over that.

If it is only 20 email / day smpt2go is free

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Amazon SES will not charge you for such small amount of emails.

• @eris said:
    1 server for outgoing mail enabled and use Smarthost MTA config to send email over that.

If it is only 20 email / day smpt2go is free

Thanks! Unfortunately, smtp2go is IPv4 only.

• @WebProject said:
    Amazon SES will not charge you for such small amount of emails.

Thanks, this would be a feasible option, indeed. Unfortunately, none of the 10 regions or so I tried resolved with an AAAA record.

• https://sendgrid.com
    Or maybe other suppliers...