Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

fasthosts and mevspace
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

fasthosts and mevspace

Hello,

I am a regular at OVH and hetzner and would like to reduce my dependence

I targeted 2 providers fasthosts and mevspace.

Is there anything to know about these providers? opinions ? which one do you recommend

Thanks a lot

Comments

• mevspace has good reviews on here

Thanked by 1Nelrann
  • afnafn Member
    edited November 2022

Tried mevspace's generous free 1 week trial.

Great performance. Support wasn't Hetzner, but the next best thing I would say. Quick enough and very helpful despite being on free trial.

Only problem I ran into is my server did not have Internet access after installing windows, so I had (for the first time on a server) to assign IP manually. I also ran into some driver issues for NIC, but that was fixed easily, and it happens to me a lot with Hetzner too.

As for fasthosts, euh... I am afraid of that "first month 50% off" clickbait...

Edit: Oh, makes sense now,
    Minimum contract term 1 year on https://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated-servers

So yeah, no way in hell. I hate yearly commitment, not on dedis!

Their price after the 50%off is like Hetzner and mevspace. No reason to go with them.

Edit2: As for network quality I think mevspace is trying to improve. Tried them couple years ago on a friend's server, then again this year, and there is a HUGE noticeable difference, it is way better this year. So maybe they plan to keep improving?

Thanked by 1Nelrann
  • SpecsblueSpecsblue Member
    edited November 2022

I used Mevspace, prices are good. Network are not so good, I had times with 300-500 Mbit speed. And also Network outages. I would always prefer Hetzner. You pay exactly what you get.

You cannot beat the support of hetzner, very fast, and they know what they're doing.
    On mevspace I had over one week to talk to them until we solved the issue. Sometimes answer very fast, sometimes like 1 day for one answer.

I will say they are not bad overall, but Hetzner is a global leader in dedicated servers and quality. People around the world buying from hetzner, and you can be sure that you have as example better connection from Hetzner to India then from Mevspace to India.

Thanked by 1Nelrann
  • I had one experience with fasthosts they are using 1&1 or part of 1&1 so you better deal with the mother company
    I had issue with them, signed up for VPS after running the VPS for One week they suspended the VPS and requested a verification 😂
    So i asked them why after one week and you should request the documents without suspending the service so i just refused to provide any documents without restoring the service.
    Service was terminated, although i paid 1 year advance I requested refund from paypal and got my money back.

Thanked by 1Nelrann
  • @mad_4u said:
    I had one experience with fasthosts they are using 1&1 or part of 1&1 so you better deal with the mother company
    I had issue with them, signed up for VPS after running the VPS for One week they suspended the VPS and requested a verification 😂
    So i asked them why after one week and you should request the documents without suspending the service so i just refused to provide any documents without restoring the service.
    Service was terminated, although i paid 1 year advance I requested refund from paypal and got my money back.

interesting, I didn't know that fastHosts was a subsidiary of IONOS

• NelrannNelrann Member
    edited November 2022

I specify that it is for a dedicated server.

So choosing between fastHost and IONOS do you think it's better to go to IONOS instead ?

because indeed if it's exactly the same thing, I prefer to choose the one where I don't have a subscription

Are the dedicated offers the same?

I need this :

CPU: 8 cores, 16 threads 2.8GHz, or faster Intel Xeon Skylake or newer
    Memory: 32GB RAM.
    Storage: 2T SSD with at least 40K IOPS and 200MiB/s bandwidth.
    Networking bandwidth: 1Gbps

Thx u

• NelrannNelrann Member
    edited November 2022

I just took a machine from mevspace
    it was indicated immediate, I just received the invoice

@Mevspace how is the process normally ?

Thanks

Edit: everything is ok, I have my server but in the rush I did not add the discount code, would it be possible to do something ?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • Mevspace is good. Unbeatable price. Great performance. Network was little bit slow. Sometime. And their OS template is buggy. Unable boot up/start. While choosing almalinix 8 or centos 8 when install/reinstall. So have to go I let support for manual installation. Which isn’t good. Last month my 1 disk stopped working. So they replaced both disk. Free of cost. Just some hours of down time. And then. All backup. And normal.

Thanked by 1Nelrann
  • NelrannNelrann Member
    edited November 2022

@fayaz90 said:
    Mevspace is good. Unbeatable price. Great performance. Network was little bit slow. Sometime. And their OS template is buggy. Unable boot up/start. While choosing almalinix 8 or centos 8 when install/reinstall. So have to go I let support for manual installation. Which isn’t good. Last month my 1 disk stopped working. So they replaced both disk. Free of cost. Just some hours of down time. And then. All backup. And normal.

I just finished the installation, I actually checked the disks does not seem new
    Percent Used 60 % and 62%

When your disk stopped working, how did you know ? Should they be warned ?

Thank you for this feedback.

• afnafn Member
    edited November 2022

@Nelrann said: When your disk stopped working, how did you know ? Should they be warned ?

I use my own ISO with mevspace.

Always check for S.M.A.R.T every couple of weeks. If you see warnings/red flags. Open a ticket, inform the provider, they will offer a free HDD replacement.

Remember: Always backup your important data! Even brand new HDDs may fail out of the blue. Always Backup!

Thanked by 1Nelrann
  • @Nelrann said:
    I specify that it is for a dedicated server.

So choosing between fastHost and IONOS do you think it's better to go to IONOS instead ?

because indeed if it's exactly the same thing, I prefer to choose the one where I don't have a subscription

Are the dedicated offers the same?

I need this :

CPU: 8 cores, 16 threads 2.8GHz, or faster Intel Xeon Skylake or newer
    Memory: 32GB RAM.
    Storage: 2T SSD with at least 40K IOPS and 200MiB/s bandwidth.
    Networking bandwidth: 1Gbps

Thx u

Their pricing are identical.
    but it seems you already got the server.