Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any affordable Linux KVM Managed VPS deals?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any affordable Linux KVM Managed VPS deals?

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to be part of this community. I'm a college student that's looking for a provider that offers managed Linux KVM VPS servers. I was recommended by a friend to check out the community here for advice in regard to web hosting or servers in general.

Purpose of primary usage: Developing apps and open-source projects. Plan to work on AI/ML projects for research.

Minimum requested specs:

CPU: 8 Cores
RAM: 8 GB
Control Panel: DirectAdmin
Region: USA/NA Preferred

I would prefer to have a recurring price at a monthly rate if possible due to student budget reasons (welp).

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Comments

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited November 2022

If you are "student" and if you will develop AI/ML projects and research why you should go with Managed?

Doesn't make sense, since some doesn't provide you full root access.
    Then you can't learn. In my way of thinking, you should go with unmanaged.

If you are developing apps and open-sources projects why you need managed? I'm sorry to tell you but managed hosting won't fix your code projects.

I see clients sometimes thinks that managed is TO DO everything for them, which they are wrong in their way of thinking, like "I will go with managed hosting if something goes wrong perhaps they fix my code" it won't happen.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

oracle cloud is free so goodluck with your study, don't need to have managed solution as they will not do your course work!

• If you're going to do AI/ML projects then 8GB doesn't sound all that much to me.

You'll also want to find somewhere with dedicated CPU resources, or you'll end up exceeding the FUP every time you do anything.

Thanked by 1mrleftghost
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Best managed hosting will fix your code in two days.
    It costs 300/day though.

• @sandoz said:
    If you are "student" and if you will develop AI/ML projects and research why you should go with Managed?

Doesn't make sense, since some doesn't provide you full root access.
    Then you can't learn. In my way of thinking, you should go with unmanaged.

If you are developing apps and open-sources projects why you need managed? I'm sorry to tell you but managed hosting won't fix your code projects.

I see clients sometimes thinks that managed is TO DO everything for them, which they are wrong in their way of thinking, like "I will go with managed hosting if something goes wrong perhaps they fix my code" it won't happen.

I think you misunderstood the post. I'm not looking for a managed server to manage any of my coding projects. I was considering getting it for regular reasons (monitoring, maintenance, security, etc) in comparison to handling a unmanaged server myself.

it's kinda amusing you've received such requests from your "clients" lol. Surely they aren't software developers?

• @WebProject said:
    oracle cloud is free so goodluck with your study, don't need to have managed solution as they will not do your course work!

Where have I mentioned in the post that I need help with my coursework? Sorry but you're just making random assumptions. Thank you for the good luck wishes tho (whether it is genuine or not).

• @ralf said:
    If you're going to do AI/ML projects then 8GB doesn't sound all that much to me.

You'll also want to find somewhere with dedicated CPU resources, or you'll end up exceeding the FUP every time you do anything.

Thank you for the advice. I've read that KVM VPS or VDS would allow me to access a certain amount of dedicated resources. Do I need a dedicated server? Any good recommendations?

• AndrewL64AndrewL64 Member
    edited November 2022

Just get an unmanaged box and I can provide management services for you. Guaranteed that it'll be cheaper than getting a managed box with the same specs *shrugs*

• For AI/ML projects, 8GB of RAM is too small and even cores too bcz you never know which machine is in use. You should consider going up at least to 16GB of RAM in the beginning.

Furthermore, for almost same stuff, why don't you consider using Google Colab. It gives you almost 12GB of RAM, storage and in fact TPU/GPU (Low scale). Just in case, you require more computing power, they do provide paid solution for same. Have a look at the pricing:
    https://colab.research.google.com/signup

There are many similar providers, which you can google to explore further.

Furthermore, if you are a student, you can apply for Github Student Developer Pack. If your application is accepted, you will get free $200 credit for DigitalOcean. You will also get some more similar options too.

Good Luck and Happy Learning.

Thanked by 1mrleftghost
  • @ashmanmalhotra said:
    For AI/ML projects, 8GB of RAM is too small and even cores too bcz you never know which machine is in use. You should consider going up at least to 16GB of RAM in the beginning.

Furthermore, for almost same stuff, why don't you consider using Google Colab. It gives you almost 12GB of RAM, storage and in fact TPU/GPU (Low scale). Just in case, you require more computing power, they do provide paid solution for same. Have a look at the pricing:
    https://colab.research.google.com/signup

There are many similar providers, which you can google to explore further.

Furthermore, if you are a student, you can apply for Github Student Developer Pack. If your application is accepted, you will get free $200 credit for DigitalOcean. You will also get some more similar options too.

Good Luck and Happy Learning.

Thank you for the helpful recommendations and advice. I will look into these options.