Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feature request for LET (QoL)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feature request for LET (QoL)

LeviLevi Member
edited November 2022 in General

Few Quality of Life improvement suggestions for LET:

1. The very important and needed addon: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/filterbyprefix-plugin . Please implement this.
  2. Inbox Panel, for those who are in heavy discussions via PM: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/inboxpanel-plugin . Some of us have multiple threads on a PM.

You have money to hire devs in order to update those plugins if incompatibility issue arrives. Also, the poll exist in order to express anonymous opinion.

Please vote or express custom opinion in the thread
  1. Do you see QoL improvements with proposed addons?36 votes
    1. Yes
      55.56%
    2. No
      44.44%
  2. Would you like to see these addons applied to LET?36 votes
    1. Yes
      55.56%
    2. No
      44.44%

Comments

• My observation is that it would have been better with a yes/no/don't care for each module you're proposing.

• @ralf said:
    My observation is that it would have been better with a yes/no/don't care for each module you're proposing.

Usually if 0 f's given people just don't open thread or not bother to do anything in it.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • @LTniger said:

@ralf said:
    My observation is that it would have been better with a yes/no/don't care for each module you're proposing.

Usually if 0 f's given people just don't open thread or not bother to do anything in it.

OK, I try again more clearly: one of these mods sounds possibly useful, the other "meh". The way the poll is structured is both or nothing.

Thanked by 1Levi
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions. We will investigate.

@FAT32 what do you think?

• @LTniger said: Inbox Panel, for those who are in heavy discussions via PM: https://open.vanillaforums.com/addon/inboxpanel-plugin . Some of us have multiple threads on a PM.

lol. I have a few big group threads that have been going since 2014.

Something like this would be nicer.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

@jbiloh said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. We will investigate.

FAT32 what do you think?

Sounds good to me :) Let's discuss further in private together with another ongoing project

• while we are talking about improvements, the damn search!! It is horrible

The search is very slow, inflexible, and not-advanced, only keywords no filters or features.
    Navigation between search pages is slow too.

It is too slow and resource-consuming, that I assume too many searches may lead to a DDOS so the search is only open to people who are signed in? Can't the search be more efficient? I know large forums with much better search, no idea about their software stacks tho...

Thanked by 1ralf

@afn said:
    while we are talking about improvements, the damn search!! It is horrible

The search is very slow, inflexible, and not-advanced, only keywords no filters or features.

It is too slow and resource-consuming, that I assume too many searches may lead to a DDOS so the search is only open to people who are signed in? Can't the search be more efficient? I know large forums with much better search, no idea about their software stacks tho...

Search sits behind the login wall for security reasons.

That said, I know it's not very good.

It's on the todo list for after the Vanilla 4.x upgrade.

Thanked by 1afn
  • @jbiloh said: Search sits behind the login wall for security reasons.

I use search without logging in all the time.

We've talked about this. Pros and cons.

• @jbiloh said:

I don't think anyone cares that you have to be logged in to search, it's more the fact that it takes 10-30 seconds to search and the same to get to the next page.

• @jbiloh said:

Out of interest what are the cons of this? I see that the comment appears "collapsed" so can still be expanded to read vs not there entirely and it seems like it can be moderated easily (max amount of people to ignore/disabled on a per user basis).

@iKeyZ said:

@jbiloh said:

Out of interest what are the cons of this? I see that the comment appears "collapsed" so can still be expanded to read vs not there entirely and it seems like it can be moderated easily (max amount of people to ignore/disabled on a per user basis).

In light of this feature (which I had missed when this was last talked about a few months ago internally):

Comments posted by a person you have ignored will be 'buried' and must be clicked on (to expand them) in order to be read.

Probably nothing. We will definitely look into implementation.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • No, not the ignore plugin. It would slowly take the life out of the place.

• @jbiloh said:

@iKeyZ said:

@jbiloh said:

In light of this feature (which I had missed when this was last talked about a few months ago internally):

Comments posted by a person you have ignored will be 'buried' and must be clicked on (to expand them) in order to be read.

Probably nothing. We will definitely look into implementation.

Nice, I could definitely see an issue with it if that feature was not part of the plugin though!

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2022

@LTniger said:
    Some of us have multiple threads on a PM.

You're doing LET wrong.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @jbiloh said:

@afn said:

For all the stick you get - I do think it's important to say I appreciate you wanting to improve the experience- Thank you Jon

• @TimboJones said:

@LTniger said:
    Some of us have multiple threads on a PM.

You're doing LET wrong.

Yeah, most of us have multiple PMS on a thread! :p

• Lol, PMs for quick questions. If you're actively talking since 2014 and doing so on a PM on LET you've only got yourselves to blame.

• "I need a time tracker in Telegram because we're using it as a client CRM"

• @emgh said:
    Lol, PMs for quick questions. If you're actively talking since 2014 and doing so on a PM on LET you've only got yourselves to blame.

"I use it this way, therefore everyone should too"?

• @iKeyZ said:

@emgh said:
    Lol, PMs for quick questions. If you're actively talking since 2014 and doing so on a PM on LET you've only got yourselves to blame.

Please introduce a payment gateway to LET, I want to be able to pay members.

Please start a music streaming platform and integrate it with LET, I want to be able to listen to music while on the computer.

See the similarity?

There's much better tools.

For payments, there's PayPal.

For music, there's Spotify.

For conversations, there's Discord.

No need to make LET a SaaS, it's a forum. Use other tools for other means than using, well, the forum.

• @emgh said:

@iKeyZ said:

@emgh said:

Please introduce a payment gateway to LET, I want to be able to pay members.

Please start a music streaming platform and integrate it with LET, I want to be able to listen to music while on the computer.

See the similarity?

There's much better tools.

For payments, there's PayPal.

For music, there's Spotify.

For conversations, there's Discord.

No need to make LET a SaaS, it's a forum. Use other tools for other means than using, well, the forum.

It's only building onto an existing feature, nothing that drastic. It does not effect anything else on the forum, so really doesn't relate to what you listed.

• @iKeyZ said: It's only building onto an existing feature, nothing that drastic. It does not effect anything else on the forum, so really doesn't relate to what you listed.

Sure, but there's dedicated platforms for longer chats that'll be 10x better than some Vanilla PM addon.

@chria838373 said:

@jbiloh said:

@afn said:

For all the stick you get - I do think it's important to say I appreciate you wanting to improve the experience- Thank you Jon

Thanks! Trying to do my best.