Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.Net Core webapi hosting on Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.Net Core webapi hosting on Linux

Hi all

I have written a .Net core web api and ideally I would like to host it on a Linux platform.

Before I embark on the path to learning how to set up a Linux server, I feel obligated to ask whether there are Linux hosting providers that provide a simple control panel type hosting that means you don't have to set the server up from a command prompt.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for learning new stuff, but unless I have to, that isn't on my current list of things to do for my project.

I know I can find many Windows host providers that will do exactly what I need, but I would prefer to take advantage of the cost, performance and security that Linux provides :-)

Thanked by 1okelley

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited November 2022

@mark_hodg72 said:
    Hi all

I have written a .Net core web api and ideally I would like to host it on a Linux platform.

Before I embark on the path to learning how to set up a Linux server, I feel obligated to ask whether there are Linux hosting providers that provide a simple control panel type hosting that means you don't have to set the server up from a command prompt.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for learning new stuff, but unless I have to, that isn't on my current list of things to do for my project.

I know I can find many Windows host providers that will do exactly what I need, but I would prefer to take advantage of the cost, performance and security that Linux provides :-)

One option would be to Dockerize your .NET Core application.

Depending on the .NET version you use, Microsoft provides a number of pre-made images that you can shove into a Dockerfile.

Once you've done that, DigitalOcean Apps, AWS, and a plethora of other providers will gladly host your application [container].

Resource: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/docker/build-container?tabs=windows#create-the-dockerfile

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited November 2022

Plesk supports this https://www.plesk.com/extensions/dot-net/
    DirectAdmin and cPanel requires 3rd party paid plugins.

So search for Plesk hosting.

performance and security that Linux provides :-)

But Linux offers neither of these. A lot of botnets are based on Linux machines (routers, VPSes, IoT...). Both Windows and Linux offer shit security if you dont give a fuck, both offer great security if you follow best practicies.

Windows has bad rep mainly because they give admin account as default without neccessity of typing password when elevation is needed. It is easier and faster to do work that way, but it destroys recognizable difference between standard actions and admin actions so typical Joe doesnt see risk (what? This document requires MY password? Sketchy!).

And about performance... Netflix uses FreeBSD because Linux gave them bad perf, what now? Is FreeBSD the fastest? In terms of CPU power it is slowest. Everything depends on use case and if its typical html web server there is no difference most of the time.

.NET Core is way faster on Windows because of Kestrel optimisation.

Windows + Kestrel (18808 RPS)
    Linux + Kestrel (10667 RPS)
    Linux + Nginx (3509 RPS)
    Linux + Caddy (3485 RPS)

https://edi.wang/post/2021/2/3/aspnet-core-50-throughput-test-in-kestrel-iis-nginx-and-caddy