Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any room for new Managed WP service provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any room for new Managed WP service provider

Hi all,

As title asks - would there be any opportunity if I want to provide a managed wp hosting just like kinsta or wpengine plans starting at $10 a month which majority of people can afford?

I was confused as growing consciousness of static site generators may compete so thoughtful to know whether is it a good idea to get into this managed wp service provider space.

The offerings I have in mind would be:

• Custom build control panel
  • Ability to import and export backups from and to cpanel full backup file
  • Optional paid CDN service
  • Built-in redis support for every account, based on plan allocation would differ
  • Automated backups to be taken every night
  • Lockdown mode to restrict any changes to filesystem
  • Staging environment (future roadmap)
  • Optional paid Route53 DNS service (future roadmap)
  • Auto updates with wp cli
  • Hosting from AWS - C family instances
  • SSL support from Let's encrypt
  • Ability to import owned SSL certificate
  • Firewall support for each account to accept or deny any IP
  • git support
  • activity logs

• no ssh or ftp access because every account to be spreaded across multiple instances

• Offerings would be based on number of unique visits per month

• Idea to provide free wordpress hosting for bare minimum visitors

Thank you

Comments

• All this is nice, but I doubt of the viability of such project.

• No, but Managed Mastodon, go west, young man 😉

• Managed Wordpress is a great service but offered by almost every big hosting provider I can think of. You need to have a real benefit over the others like in house developers and Wordpress experts. So basically, become a Kinsta competitor. Unfortunately that is not a service you can offer for 10usd.

You sure will attract some clients but it will be long hours and hard work.

• I had such niche wordpress hosting with +- your described features. There was no real interest. Wordpress users are inexperienced, who seek shared hosting. All those bells and whistles are for you own ego, not customer demand.

They need cheap, stable and available service. This is already in market and over saturated.

I'am coding v2 of my project, solely focused on n00bs with wordpress. So far, ~60k lines of code and I even not come to parts such as support ticketing system etc. Of course you may be more experienced coder, but the main question - do you have motivation, time and patience. Look, summer is coming after few months :) why bother.

• Not only is this WP market saturated, but it is also in a phase of concentration. The biggest destroy and absorb the smallest... It is clearly not the time to be involved ...

On the other hand, there are many applications that are exploding, integrating one or two of these niche markets is probably a better strategy ...
    @jiggawattz mentioned Mastodon, I would rather go to N8N, there are many opportunities ...

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2022

We almost (we don’t provide a custom control panel just open source control panel to manage emails or database, if needed) do provide such managed service and starts from £10 for 1 hosted WordPress with 2GB of RAM and 100GB of storage and 10TB bandwidth.

P.S. No bullshit about commenting your order or invoice number to double your bandwidth or IPv6 addresses, simply open ticket and we will increase it.

• Aren't you hijacking @vielendank topic ?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2022

@SteveMC said:
    Aren't you hijacking @vielendank topic ?

haha, the services already exists, some other project seen personally - mapping domain names to multi wordpress as some busnesses thinks its a rocket science - the wordpress support such option out of box!

• Thank you all for the opinions and sharing the experiences

• @LTniger said:
    I had such niche wordpress hosting with +- your described features. There was no real interest. Wordpress users are inexperienced, who seek shared hosting. All those bells and whistles are for you own ego, not customer demand.

They need cheap, stable and available service. This is already in market and over saturated.

I'am coding v2 of my project, solely focused on n00bs with wordpress. So far, ~60k lines of code and I even not come to parts such as support ticketing system etc. Of course you may be more experienced coder, but the main question - do you have motivation, time and patience. Look, summer is coming after few months :) why bother.

Yeah I remember that site of yours. It gave me motivation to do something similar of my own. But looking at this reply I think I better off doing something else. WP market is too saturated. You are right about the ego part as we developers need to keep that in mind when developing features. Too easy to distract thinking this is what customer want when he actually doesn't.

• This is not a good idea...