Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What means are available for connecting your IPv4 only desktops besides Miredo/Teredo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What means are available for connecting your IPv4 only desktops besides Miredo/Teredo?

I was looking up info on how to connect IPv4 only devices to IPv6 and came across Miredo which is a Linux version of Teredo, but it seems to be an old system which may be out of date and less reliable than newer systems.

Are there any other newer means besides Miredo for Linux?

Comments

• Well there was no need to create another client/server for Teredo in linux because Miredo was and is working without any problem. The only thing that has been changed since their last release from 9 years ago is the change in the server they had which doesn't even need any config change from client side.

BTW for adding IPv6 connectivity to linux you don't need Teredo, just use this guide (it covers NAT and dynamic IPv4 too) : https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/IPv6_tunnel_broker_setup

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • Do both Miredo and the tunnel broker system make your local IPV6 host visible to the outside world, ie they are not behind some kind of NAT and they can pinged or their services accessed remotely?

• Teredo is slowly dying they have less and less nodes in recent years. On the other hand IPv6 adoption by ISPs has greatly expanded at the same time.

• Do you mean you want to give your ipv4 device a static ipv6 with all ports configurable?

• @Hayashima said:
    Do you mean you want to give your ipv4 device a static ipv6 with all ports configurable?

I'm not interested in static ipv6 for my home devices now. I just want them to be able to connect to public IPv6 services and devices.

Inbound is not on the table for now, but it seems that having an IPv6 address on you local stuff makes them publicly accessible if the IP address is known.