Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Working a home with fiber
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Working a home with fiber

As I've only just moved to 1 gig internal, 0.5 gig external, I don't think I'll be trying it out, but I thought this was a fascinating read...

https://sschueller.github.io/posts/wiring-a-home-with-fiber/

Comments

• Actually, should probably link the Hacker News article too, as there's some good feedback in the comments if you're actually thinking of doing this:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33393540

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have 10 gbps in Bucharest best effort link which does 5 in the worst day. The internal wiring is still copper, though, cat6 et all, but no 10 gbps infrastructure at all, switch, even network cards except for one. I do not think it is needed, I can run VMs with NAS storage at decent speeds so I think I am okay, albeit the thought keeps bugging me and as soon as I have the time and the prices halve at least, I would switch to whatever would be cheaper, fiber or copper (the whole deal, not only some parts of it, the infrastructure would not be mixed other than the wi-fi part for phones and shit).

• @ralf said: fascinating read

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

As another cheaper option, I found a TP-Link 2.5-Gigabit Switch and 2.5-gigabit usb adapters worked quite well, and worked with Cat-6 wiring in my home. I also know copper wiring can work with 10-gigabit switches, but I haven't tried that. I think one major advantage of fiber is support for longer distances.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2022

@jon617 said: I think one major advantage of fiber is support for longer distances.

True that, but wiring your home usually does not bring up the distance issue.

• @Maounique said: True that, but wiring your home usually does not bring up the distance issue

Yeah. Between floors and rooms, Cat-6, Cat-7, or Cat-8 should be more than plenty. I imagine most end-to-end wires would be under 100 feet (30 meters) in homes, within limits of multi-gig.

• emgemg Veteran

It is all very interesting and it wins on bragging rights and "cool factor".

-> Is anybody asking why you need fiber-level bandwidth internally in a home?

The only use cases I can imagine are where the home might double as a type of business. Wealthy people in the entertainment industry sometimes build a studio in or behind their home, for example.

Hopefully today's fiber is more sturdy and robust than in the old days. It used to be delicate and easily damaged.

• @emg said: sturdy and robust than in the old days. It used to be delicate and easily damaged

Depends the size.. 1F its still very easy to be damaged even with iron coating inside.

Thanked by 1emg