Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1TB dropbox or 1TB VPS as backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1TB dropbox or 1TB VPS as backup?

do you think which is better? as backup solution only, via rsync or rclone.
Thanks.

Comments

• Obviously Dropbox.

But also something else.

• @emgh said:
    Obviously Dropbox.

But also something else.

other suggestion? I want the loc in US or CA. I know icedrive/filen.io/koofr has the better pricing, but they are based in EU.

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited October 2022

There is a much less risk of data loss with a professional storage service like Dropbox with its geo redundancy, multiple backups, versioning etc.

A VPS is better for compatibility with any protocol and you can do other useful things with it besides storing files (for a cheaper price). It's very different.

• bdlbdl Member

both

Thanked by 2ehab BBTN
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2022

Zoho Workdrive, I use them on my servers (for documents) --> link to rclone page for zoho workdrive

They have US/ EU/IN/CN locations.

I see 3 users / 1TB a month (converted to US Dollars) at around 7.5 US dollars/ month including GST.

Thanked by 1frakass
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@frakass said:
    other suggestion? I want the loc in US

You can check our backup storage plans:
    https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php
    We do have two different locations in US.
    I can offer you a discount if interested. Contact us for details.

• data is priceless.
    my answer is dropbox.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2022

Dropbox or two VPSes.
    In dropbox fail of one machine (for example RAID failure) wont affect your data, in VPS you will likely lose all.

You can also check MediaFlare, its cheap.

The best cheap backup is something cloudbased + local backup 'just in case'. 1TB external HDD is very cheap. Its very important to have your data backuped in different physical locations (for example: datacenter + your home).

Use storage VPSes for thing that require acctive use of data (seedbox, downloader, cdn with videos/music/anything that will be read sequentially)

Thanked by 1frakass
  • I wish Dropbox did some sales. It never does

• I choose VPS because of the higher playability.

• get both , you will need a backup of backup :)

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

From my point of view, that’s like “managed” vs “unmanaged”.

Yeah the 1TB VPS would be way cheaper, but with Dropbox, the infrastructure is managed by a huge, professional and established company, and it’s very unlikely you’ll lose your data.

As for the VPS, well, you probably have doubts yourself, with regards to the infrastructure and also the well-being of your data :smiley:

Thanked by 1frakass
  • I'm surprised nobody has mentioned BackBlaze B2 yet. Relatively cheap per TB and that company is build around data storage and backup. But if you have to choose between Dropbox or a VPS; Dropbox. Data integrity is a must for backups and I would not trust a random storage VPS with it.

Thanked by 2frakass raindog308
  • backblaze b2 & storJ

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2022

@frakass said:

@emgh said:
    Obviously Dropbox.

But also something else.

other suggestion? I want the loc in US or CA. I know icedrive/filen.io/koofr has the better pricing, but they are based in EU.

Doesn't pCloud support rclone (I have it but never used it with rclone)? pCloud let's you choose between their EU or US DC.

https://rclone.org/pcloud/

• @umzak said:
    backblaze b2 & storJ

Right, the S3 backups are good options, as is a Hetzner storage box. Even Mega is about to have a really cheap S3 product come out. There's just tons of options outside of traditional cloud storage and VPS.

Thanked by 1umzak
  • @TimRoo said:

@umzak said:
    backblaze b2 & storJ

Right, the S3 backups are good options, as is a Hetzner storage box. Even Mega is about to have a really cheap S3 product come out. There's just tons of options outside of traditional cloud storage and VPS.

I hear S3 being mentioned more and more often these days. I understand Amazon offers S3 "object storage" and other providers also offer s3 storage such as Hetzner, IONOS etc..

Can someone tell me what exactly is "object storage" or, more precisely, what makes it better than traditional storage offers that have existed before (Dropbox, SFTP, VPS...). It appears that one of its perks is that it can easily scale, but so can Dropbox, a vps, or other solutions right?

• @Ympker said:

@TimRoo said:

@umzak said:
    backblaze b2 & storJ

I hear S3 being mentioned more and more often these days. I understand Amazon offers S3 "object storage" and other providers also offer s3 storage such as Hetzner, IONOS etc..

Can someone tell me what exactly is "object storage" or, more precisely, what makes it better than traditional storage offers that have existed before (Dropbox, SFTP, VPS...). It appears that one of its perks is that it can easily scale, but so can Dropbox, a vps, or other solutions right?

I think the main things are API availability, cost, and the ability to use it for files on a web server with or without a CDN. It's definitely more for technical users, which makes sense as it started as part of Amazon's AWS.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @TimRoo said:

@Ympker said:

@TimRoo said:

@umzak said:
    backblaze b2 & storJ

I think the main things are API availability, cost, and the ability to use it for files on a web server with or without a CDN. It's definitely more for technical users, which makes sense as it started as part of Amazon's AWS.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks! :)

Thanked by 1TimRoo
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LeftR said: I'm surprised nobody has mentioned BackBlaze B2 yet. Relatively cheap per TB and that company is build around data storage and backup. But if you have to choose between Dropbox or a VPS; Dropbox. Data integrity is a must for backups and I would not trust a random storage VPS with it.

I use rclone to B2 and Dropbox. Dropbox just because I have more space there than I need so I chew some of it up with backups.

I love rclone because it makes the storage service irrelevant. If I decided to, I could move from B2 to any other service trivially. But I've been happy with B2.

Thanked by 1LeftR
  • PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2022

@Ympker said: Can someone tell me what exactly is "object storage" or, more precisely, what makes it better than traditional storage offers that have existed before

Object storage seeks to scale beyond single hardware unit's boundaries. This allows for higher availability and durability of the data, and virtually unlimited scalability, at a lower cost. The typical object storage of today will take a file, split it into chunks, spread these chunks across physical disks on different physical servers and use metadata to keep track of which is what and where it is. Erasure coding based on the Reed-Solomon code is usually used instead of good old RAID and/or replication. By splitting a file into a number of data chunks and calculating a number of parity chunks, the object store can easily achieve the equivalent of 5x replication in terms of durability, but only occupy 1.4x of the size of the file (RS10,4 scheme used in this example). That is 3.6x less used space. Availability is also greatly improved as based on the number of physical servers available, an appropriate scheme can be selected to ensure that during a single physical server failure enough chunks are available to reconstruct the file without any downtime. That is not possible with RAID without expensive replication and some failover layer on top. Some negative RAID-related scenarios are also eliminated, like the everlasting doubt if the RAID array will survive a rebuild, especially when drives used come from the same production batch.
    But object stores do have their issues too. While implementations vary, in the example above the disk and network latency could become noticeable with large number of small files being accessed, because milliseconds just add up. Also, inefficient storage of metadata could lead to more seek operations for a given request, making things slow as scale grows. The best known object storage software vendors have been working to solve this for some time, with some success. NVMe drives for hot data and uploads, in-memory maps, hot file replication and erasure coding only for warm data, as well as other tricks can also be used to turn an object store into a rocket ship.

At present object storage is a bit like the "cloud". Some will market an actual object store, others will only call it that way and actually do RAID6, and there are some (Dropbox actually), that don't really market the term at all, but on the dropboxtech site they do talk about their object storage setup and it is a very real one.

PS. It is not right to consider object storage as something that is hard to use or built for developers only. Nothing stops any such service from adding a layer on top that translates stuff to files and directories and works with everything from FTP to Rsync, or even FUSE mounts.

• @PUSHR_Victor said:

@Ympker said: Can someone tell me what exactly is "object storage" or, more precisely, what makes it better than traditional storage offers that have existed before

Object storage seeks to scale beyond single hardware unit's boundaries. This allows for higher availability and durability of the data, and virtually unlimited scalability, at a lower cost. The typical object storage of today will take a file, split it into chunks, spread these chunks across physical disks on different physical servers and use metadata to keep track of which is what and where it is. Erasure coding based on the Reed-Solomon code is usually used instead of good old RAID and/or replication. By splitting a file into a number of data chunks and calculating a number of parity chunks, the object store can easily achieve the equivalent of 5x replication in terms of durability, but only occupy 1.4x of the size of the file (RS10,4 scheme used in this example). That is 3.6x less used space. Availability is also greatly improved as based on the number of physical servers available, an appropriate scheme can be selected to ensure that during a single physical server failure enough chunks are available to reconstruct the file without any downtime. That is not possible with RAID without expensive replication and some failover layer on top. Some negative RAID-related scenarios are also eliminated, like the everlasting doubt if the RAID array will survive a rebuild, especially when drives used come from the same production batch.
    But object stores do have their issues too. While implementations vary, in the example above the disk and network latency could become noticeable with large number of small files being accessed, because milliseconds just add up. Also, inefficient storage of metadata could lead to more seek operations for a given request, making things slow as scale grows. The best known object storage software vendors have been working to solve this for some time, with some success. NVMe drives for hot data and uploads, in-memory maps, hot file replication and erasure coding only for warm data, as well as other tricks can also be used to turn an object store into a rocket ship.

At present object storage is a bit like the "cloud". Some will market an actual object store, others will only call it that way and actually do RAID6, and there are some (Dropbox actually), that don't really market the term at all, but on the dropboxtech site they do talk about their object storage setup and it is a very real one.

PS. It is not right to consider object storage as something that is hard to use or built for developers only. Nothing stops any such service from adding a layer on top that translates stuff to files and directories and works with everything from FTP to Rsync, or even FUSE mounts.

Thanks for taking the time to write such an extensive explanation :) Much appreciated!

• obviously dropbox,vps is not stable.