Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Selling my servers at half the price but raised my prices Anyone had luck getting them down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Selling my servers at half the price but raised my prices Anyone had luck getting them down?

So long story short I have many SoYouStart / OVH Servers for my business and a couple months ago I noticed them selling a few of my servers I have had for years at less than half the price on Kimsufi. Same specs all around minus the link speed.

I don't normally ask for any support from them but for this I talked with support about lowering my prices since I have been paying for so many years and they no longer deem these same servers worth that price. I had absolutely no luck. The only thing stopping me from buying the Kimsufi servers was the lack of failover ip support, otherwise I would have bought a few of them for almost the same price and happily transferred my stuff. Not a huge deal I moved on.

Wake up today to find they are now raising the prices of these servers which to me feels like a "fuck you". I am happy to pay the price increases on my newer servers and can understand that but for the servers they literally cut in half I am now supposed to pay more? That's just not right.

Anyone had a similar situation and have any tips for getting the price down?

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@77tontos said:
    I noticed them selling a few of my servers I have had for years at less than half the price on Kimsufi.

The only thing stopping me from buying the Kimsufi servers was the lack of failover ip support

"Server with failover IP" and "server without failover IP" are two different products.
    You are comparing cherries and strawberries.

Thanked by 2fadedmaple ralf
  • @77tontos said:
    So long story short I have many SoYouStart / OVH Servers for my business and a couple months ago I noticed them selling a few of my servers I have had for years at less than half the price on Kimsufi. Same specs all around minus the link speed.

I don't normally ask for any support from them but for this I talked with support about lowering my prices since I have been paying for so many years and they no longer deem these same servers worth that price. I had absolutely no luck. The only thing stopping me from buying the Kimsufi servers was the lack of failover ip support, otherwise I would have bought a few of them for almost the same price and happily transferred my stuff. Not a huge deal I moved on.

Wake up today to find they are now raising the prices of these servers which to me feels like a "fuck you". I am happy to pay the price increases on my newer servers and can understand that but for the servers they literally cut in half I am now supposed to pay more? That's just not right.

Why haven't you moved to a new server in so many years? Buy a new smaller server from OVH or buy the same one from kimsufi and transfer your data. This is a normal thing in the hosting market.

• 77tontos77tontos Member
    edited October 2022

@yoursunny said: You are comparing cherries and strawberries.

Its a minor infrastructure difference but a bigger use difference. My understanding is that its like that way to limit what customers can do with them since its much more open for abuse. In this circumstance I have been a customer since 2012 and its quite clear that what I do with my servers does not cause strain or harm to them.

@Hotmarer said:
    Why haven't you moved to a new server in so many years? Buy a new smaller server from OVH or buy the same one from kimsufi and transfer your data. This is a normal thing in the hosting market.

In some cases I have, I definitely don't have the servers I purchased in 2012 but these servers are running services that have not needed upgrades and to get a similar spec with the same memory and ssd space which these services do need has always been an equal price or more money. Factoring in labor and setup fees it has not made sense.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited October 2022

@77tontos said:

I get what you're saying but unit cost of operating servers has increased over time, especially now when power costs have increased significantly (noticeably in Europe). For most service vendors, they'll actually increase pricing as over time their margins will decrease. So asking them to decrease the pricing due to "how old you've been with them" in my opinion doesn't make sense. They might cut you a deal on new service because you've been with them so far but if this is old servers then more than likely they'll take up more units of power based on performance and can't make it cheaper because cost of power has increased so much in the past year.

If you're really interested in decreasing your monthly spend, consolidate to newer hardware that offers more efficient performance. For the actual "service" it'll feel like it costs more but should be cheaper at the end.

• if u wanna get the price down, go to another provider

• I'm in the early stages of moving away from OVH. With the increase in server expenses and changes in IP block expenses my server cost has gone up 162%.

• Just buy them on Kimsufi, plus buy an OVH VPS as well and move your IPs to that. Easy to use the IPs on Kimsufi with WireGuard

• @darkimmortal said:
    Just buy them on Kimsufi, plus buy an OVH VPS as well and move your IPs to that. Easy to use the IPs on Kimsufi with WireGuard

there's no kimsufi anymore. any new purchases goes to ovhcloud. for all practical purposes kimsufi/soyoustart is gone.

• @mosquitoguy said:

@darkimmortal said:
    Just buy them on Kimsufi, plus buy an OVH VPS as well and move your IPs to that. Easy to use the IPs on Kimsufi with WireGuard

there's no kimsufi anymore. any new purchases goes to ovhcloud. for all practical purposes kimsufi/soyoustart is gone.

I mean the kimsufi section on Eco, it still has the same restriction of no additional IPs AFAIK

• @HalfEatenPie said:
    So asking them to decrease the pricing due to "how old you've been with them" in my opinion doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your input. I believe it does because I could drop all of those servers and they are now going to turn around and sell them for less than half the price I was paying. I'm not looking for a deal for staying with them, I just feel a price correction would make sense given the circumstances.

As for a single higher performance it makes sense except I loose a lot of redundancy
    In the end its not a huge deal Ill just live with it I just find it annoying.

@darkimmortal said:
    I mean the kimsufi section on Eco, it still has the same restriction of no additional IPs AFAIK

Exactly

• @mosquitoguy said:

@darkimmortal said:

Would not work on kimsufi but im curious, what would you use for the main server to handle the throughput? It would essentially have a connection equal to or great than all the servers combined assuming you didn't want to throttle yourself.

• @77tontos said:
    Would not work on kimsufi but im curious, what would you use for the main server to handle the throughput? It would essentially have a connection equal to or great than all the servers combined assuming you didn't want to throttle yourself.

If you want to scale, there shouldn't be any "main" server. You should have a farm of servers and your dns entries should have entries for them so that clients connect to the farm at random endpoints (from dns queries). Each endpoint would be a reverse proxy to a local cluster for failover. The next step would be to use your own DNS server so that clients are directed to geographically local endpoints.

• loyalty is a liability. they need raise prices.