Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of Host Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review of Host Europe

This is my review of Host Europe. We signed up for a Windows VPS a week ago and have to say they're customer service is not very good.

Maybe I'm expecting too much being American and all, but when you tout 24/7 customer service it shouldn't take two days to load English installation files for SQL server. Moreover, I submitted another support ticket three days ago and that one is still open as well.

Have to admit I'm having buyer's remorse, and if things don't get better fast, like before my free trial ends, I'll be looking for a new web host faster than you can say Llckety-split.

Overall,

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

said: Maybe I'm expecting too much being American and all

I am not sure what you mean, but I find most LEB hosts in EU much more reliable than the ones in US. The requirements to be a business here are much higher, not every kid and their dog can open a VPS "business".
    That being said, of course, not all things are equal and you can find US hosts better than some EU hosts all the time. It is just that in general, statistically EU hosts rank higher.

• @Maounique said:

My point was that maybe because Im American my expectations were too high. That they do things a little slower in Germany. But two days to load English files for SQL server. That's just poor customer service. IMO.

• My experiences are much better with german hosts then with american. But be aware that the most german hosters only give support in cases of problems. Normally they do not install software for you.
    If you want help in such thing you need to buy a special SLA. Maybe thats why you need to wait so long.

• @Multi said:
    My experiences are much better with german hosts then with american. But be aware that the most german hosters only give support in cases of problems. Normally they do not install software for you.
    If you want help in such thing you need to buy a special SLA. Maybe thats why you need to wait so long.

Thanks for this advice. I'll keep this mind moving forward. That said, I guess it also depends on how you define "problems." Me needing the English install files of SQL Server is a problem b/c without the files I can't get my site up and operating without them.

• said: Maybe I'm expecting too much being American and all, but when you tout 24/7 customer service it shouldn't take two days to load English installation files for SQL server

Some people in US think that being Americans is something that place them in better condition/education/skills/privileges than others, or other countries are third or fourth world... That said, you didn't mention if your vps is managed or unmanaged. If it is unmanaged, then. your hosting provider has no obligation at all to help you installing anything in your server, except to make sure that the box is up and working good. There are tons of tutorial out there to help you installing sql, and problems of speed/stability of certain downloads (if there is a speed problem of the box itself in all communication with the net) should be at first be handled by the OP himself (do traceroutes, speed tests or even benchmark your box to see if there is any problem itself).

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

I was Hosteurope costumer, they had good support but atm its just poor.

• You make a very good point, and I should have said the VPS is unmanaged. However, I was loading the correct version of SQL Server and it providing error messages b/c of the translation issues.

@jvnadr said:
    Some people in US think that being Americans is something that place them in better condition/education/skills/privileges than others, or other countries are third or fourth world... That said, you didn't mention if your vps is managed or unmanaged. If it is unmanaged, then. your hosting provider has no obligation at all to help you installing anything in your server, except to make sure that the box is up and working good. There are tons of tutorial out there to help you installing sql, and problems of speed/stability of certain downloads (if there is a speed problem of the box itself in all communication with the net) should be at first be handled by the OP himself (do traceroutes, speed tests or even benchmark your box to see if there is any problem itself).

• Excuse the ignorance but atm stands for what?

@Infinity580 said:
    I was Hosteurope costumer, they had good support but atm its just poor.

• @torontoTO said:
    Excuse the ignorance but atm stands for what?

At the moment.