Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Alternative to Ramnode (West Coast)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Alternative to Ramnode (West Coast)

Been on Ramnode VDS for 7+ years. Performance and reliability have been rock solid and their Customer Support is phenomenal (and I've tried quite a few services over the years, Rackspace, Vultr, you name it.)

Recently seeing issue with their 3rd Party DDOS Protection Provider (CNSERVERS) causing all sort of havoc with network latency, lots of failed/timed out http/ftp/ssh connections. Customers on simple, low-traffic website, might not notice it but it's really screwing with our high-volume apps that load a lot of page components. Ramnode reports they said they (CNSERVERS) should have it fixed within a week. A week? Are you kidding me?

Temporary solution is we're moving our IP off the CNSERVERS network and will be fine temporarily without DDOS protection (not any high-profile websites running.) Long term solution is to migrate to their LA Data Center that uses Psychz for DDOS protection but if I'm going that route, I'm going to move forward our plans to migrate from Centos 7 to AlmaLinux and that's going to require a ton of testing.

With that said, who would be the closest replacement to Ramnode if I decided to switch providers? Right now I'm paying $50 for 8GB/200GB 2 dedicated CPU VDS. Support responses from these guys are like within 10 minutes 99% of the time. Vnode migrations are like maybe twice a year and maybe 10 min downtime. Users get around 25-30ms network responses as they are in the same city as the Ramnode Data Center (Seattle).

Should I just stick with Ramnode and move to their LA Data Center or consider another company?

Comments

• I'd stick with RAMNode. I find when providers experience an ongoing annoying problem, they tend to solve it really good so they never have to go through the bad experience again.

I.e., When there's some sort of power redundancy failure, 99% of the time they do upgrades right after, ensuring the odds of reoccurring to be less than switching providers and running into the same problem elsewhere.

Thanked by 1Dazzle
  • jazeejazee Member
    edited October 2022

Ya, for me, their quick support has been key. I've rarely had to contact them but when I do, 10 min or less response times and they go the extra mile for an unmanaged service if I give them root access, they'll dig around in the config files and log files to help diagnose whether it's a network, application, or server issue. Not a lot of low-cost VPS providers are that fast or thorough. And it sounds like the sale to Inmotion hasn't really altered their support structure or server/network infrastructure (yet at least.)

I had good experience with Vultr but frankly can't remember why I left them. It was either to save a buck or two, or most likely, for the money on similarly configured servers I was seeing better disk (iops) performance with Ramnode.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@jazee said:
    Been on Ramnode VDS for 7+ years. Performance and reliability have been rock solid and their Customer Support is phenomenal (and I've tried quite a few services over the years, Rackspace, Vultr, you name it.)

Recently seeing issue with their 3rd Party DDOS Protection Provider (CNSERVERS) causing all sort of havoc with network latency, lots of failed/timed out http/ftp/ssh connections. Customers on simple, low-traffic website, might not notice it but it's really screwing with our high-volume apps that load a lot of page components. Ramnode reports they said they (CNSERVERS) should have it fixed within a week. A week? Are you kidding me?

Temporary solution is we're moving our IP off the CNSERVERS network and will be fine temporarily without DDOS protection (not any high-profile websites running.) Long term solution is to migrate to their LA Data Center that uses Psychz for DDOS protection but if I'm going that route, I'm going to move forward our plans to migrate from Centos 7 to AlmaLinux and that's going to require a ton of testing.

With that said, who would be the closest replacement to Ramnode if I decided to switch providers? Right now I'm paying $50 for 8GB/200GB 2 dedicated CPU VDS. Support responses from these guys are like within 10 minutes 99% of the time. Vnode migrations are like maybe twice a year and maybe 10 min downtime. Users get around 25-30ms network responses as they are in the same city as the Ramnode Data Center (Seattle).

Should I just stick with Ramnode and move to their LA Data Center or consider another company?

Check out @Francisco with BuyVM.
    Awesome support and nodes.
    I get 28-32ms from Texas all the way to LV for BuyVM
    ~Josh

• I think you should try @Francisco thing..
    The Pony have good support too..