Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discord bot written in go requirements?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Discord bot written in go requirements?

NanjaNanja Member

I want to host a discord bot I am making in golang.
It will need to connect to a sql database.
I imagine I want to embed a cli into the web browser to manage certain features of the golang bot, I was told this could be done using web sockets.

The discord bot itself will be on the machine & the bot will be invited to several other discords. Server will need a decent uptime.. since it needs to be active in all discord servers.

I have looked into discord bot hosting that some of you guys have. However, no golang support; mostly just .js stuff.

I want all of this to be on one VPS or Dedi, depending on what you guys tell me the requirements are. Thx, any help appreciated.

I see that the minimum system requirements for
MySQL is

2-core 2gb ram

PHP is

1-core 512mb ram

nginx is

1-core 128mb ram

I was told all data from different discord servers will be stored in memory while discord bot is running. Does that mean I need a lot of ram? like what? 32gb? 16gb? 8gb?

• I don't know how much resources a bot written in go will take either. That's why I am asking.

• This is just a personal project so I can learn programming; might evolve into something bigger. There seems to be only 3 discord bots that are written in golang, I am hoping to change that.

When I figure out the requirements, then I will search for a server to purchase.

Comments

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

How many servers do you expect your bot to be added in?

If less than 200 people are using it, 4GB ram should do just fine.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

BuyVM, where MySQL is provided for free and doesn't consume your RAM.

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:
    BuyVM, where MySQL is provided for free and doesn't consume your RAM.

Not for free, just a dollar though

• I'd imagine a single core 1GB VPS would be more than adequate unless you plan on making your bot operate on many servers or channels (note, I have no idea about discord, but assuming it's similar to IRC).

The only time you might want decent resources are for compiling.

If your bot is going to do stuff that needs a lot of RAM, then get more RAM.

TBH, your best bet is to start writing this on your laptop or desktop and profile it. The development experience will be significantly better too.

Thanked by 1Nanja