Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Wordpress Stack for super fast backend and frontend?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best Wordpress Stack for super fast backend and frontend?

Looking for the best Wordpress Stack to host a big Wordpress site with 65 active plugins.

We have a VPS on high end hardware, NVME - AMD EPYC etc.

But Wordpress on Plesk, Openlitespeed etc is still slow. Any tips?

Comments

• Get a vps that has better single-thread performance and try running it on centminmod. Most likely, what you really need to do is identify the worst performing plugins.

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2022

Server-side optimizations can only do so much.

It reaches a stage where you need to look at the site itself - in this case, WordPress.

There are lots of things to consider... for example, do you have giant postmeta tables with no indexes/keys? Set up them indexes/keys! https://wordpress.org/plugins/index-wp-mysql-for-speed/ is an excellent plugin which can do that for you, and more.

Or do you have a plugin with slow queries? Optimize those queries, or find an alternative plugin.

Maybe set up the mysql slow query log too.

• LeftRLeftR Member
    edited October 2022

It's a general misconception that slow wordpress sites are the caused by the hoster. Sure this could be the bottleneck but you are using 65 plugins. You should also check out your code, check for conflicts etc.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited October 2022

65 plugins are probably adding a lot of junk to code.

Think if you shouldn't hire developer that can make one plugin that combines multiple into one, maybe find alternatives... if its big site it should have budget for it.

Plesk is slow btw.

OpenLitespeed + LiteSpeed Cache plugin
    Nginx with cache on tempfs + FastCGI + Cache Enabler plugin

these are fastest combinations.
    Then you can analyze app with any APM solution.

Hit me up if you want me to do the work and optimize stack on your server as best as possible and analyze performance of everything (PHP, Wordpress, server). I can even remove unused modules from Nginx sourcecode, recompile it with newest GCC and performance patches from Amazon/Cloudflare etc. if you want to squeeze every percent. But to be honest if its slow on OpenLitespeed then problem is the existing Wordpress code, mainly these plugins. But if I would do some treeshaking + combining it could be done.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • I dont know if it helps you. But recently i have test few wp sites with various configuration. Now i have fastest performance. Here is what i do finally.
    Get high performance ryzen, nvme vps from greencloudvps, then install nginx, mariadb 10.8.5, phpmyadmin 5.2.0. php-fpm 8.1.11. Install w3tc and use Cache system provider by plugin. Use cloudflare also. Then i got fastest performance i expected.
    I checked single core performance to highest before buy vps by yabs from users post here.

Thanked by 1commercial
  • HxxxHxxx Member
    edited October 2022

Try Centminmod you will be impressed by the speed.
    Created by this guy: @eva2000

• @Hxxx said:
    Try Centminmod you will be impressed by the speed.
    Created by this guy: @eva2000

The bad thing with centminmod is that it doesnt have a GUI panel in which it will be much easier for people like me who dont know much about using ssh commandlines etc.

• nvmenvme Member
    edited October 2022

May be you can try cloudpanel, they have added varnish cache in beta release, and will be available early next week in stable branch.

I was able to see improvements in speed with wp. Also, please note it is not open source atm.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2022

You'll get the best performance if you serve static HTML files straight from disk (or RAM cache). Install WP Super Cache, configure it to prefill the cache for all pages (can't remember off the top of my head what it's called in the UI), and properly configure the web server to directly serve pages straight from HTML files on disk. Example Nginx config: https://gist.github.com/Daniel15/c6dce3639f85749e2f5de013d4019d6b

Ensure you have lots of unused RAM that can be used as cache/buffers.

For frontend... Ensure all JS and CSS is combined and minified, pre-compress files using Brotli, ensure Nginx is properly configured to serve the precompressed Brotli files when users that support Brotli hit the JS and CSS files.

Actually, in general, try to avoid gzipping on-the-fly and instead precompress as much as possible, with both the highest gzip level, and a high Brotli level. Nginx should be configured to serve the Brotli files to clients that support it, then the gzip files to clients that support it, then fall back to the uncompressed files.

• @AXYZE said:
    65 plugins are probably adding a lot of junk to code.

This.

Other advice is good, but 65 plugins is a ton of extra code that's almost certainly at the core of your speed problems.

• No need for complex setup. Simply use nginx, use CloudFlare DNS and one of the following plugins for caching and your site will work like a bullet.

• Super Page Cache for Cloudflare
    • WP Fastest Cache
  • There are many resources, and an excellent community of support in this group!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/wordpressspeedup
    For the server part that we are mainly concerned with here.
    Obviously, a fast VPS, a minimal distribution, and a point too often forgotten, a good connectivity, a good peering with the main networks.
    Caches and CDNs are just patches to hide the misery. This does not mean that they should not be used, but they are the last optimization tools to use ...

• @commercial said:
    There are many resources, and an excellent community of support in this group!
    For the server part that we are mainly concerned with here.
    Obviously, a fast VPS, a minimal distribution, and a point too often forgotten, a good connectivity, a good peering with the main networks.
    Caches and CDNs are just patches to hide the misery. This does not mean that they should not be used, but they are the last optimization tools to use ...

Hmm that fb group is asking for your email 🤔

• @jcolideles said:

@commercial said:
    There are many resources, and an excellent community of support in this group!

Hmm that fb group is asking for your email 🤔

Any disposable email will do...
    Indeed, Ivica, the group leader, is on my direct connections, a reliable person, so I don't care :)