Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.se domain registration questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.se domain registration questions

Hello,

I want to register a .se domain but loopia registrar is asking for national ID number, i am not a citizen of Sweden, am i still able to register by providing my country's ID?

Comments

• Anyone can register a .se domain provided it is available and does not appear on The Swedish Internet Foundation’s block list.

I registered .se with netim.com the same as I would register .com domain without additional conditions and then few years later transferred it to loopia without any documents included.

Thanked by 1SLMob
  • Yes, should not be a problem.
    The registry just want a ID card or passport number for the whois.

Thanked by 1SLMob
  • @crilla said:
    Yes, should not be a problem.

So just to confirm, i can enter my country's ID and register the domain?

• @Mumbly said:
    Anyone can register a .se domain provided it is available and does not appear on The Swedish Internet Foundation’s block list.

I registered .se with netim.com the same as I would register .com domain without additional conditions and then few years later transferred it to loopia without any documents included.

I checked multiple registrar and all were asking for ID number, so i assumed it must be mandatory.

I will check netim.com , thanks

• @SLMob said:

@crilla said:
    Yes, should not be a problem.

So just to confirm, i can enter my country's ID and register the domain?

Yes you can

Thanked by 1SLMob
  • jeghjegh Member
    edited October 2022

For .se and .nu TLD, the personal ID is only required if you are a Swedish citizen. Otherwise you can provide a randomly generated ID.
    https://my.nudomain.nu/knowledgebase/5/Personnummer-Required.html

Thanked by 3Mumbly SLMob martheen
  • it's not that easy. i registered a .se in 2005 with loopia and i don't remember ever providing a personal id. now loopia demands from me (i'm not swede) a copy of my id (!!!), with all the characteristics they must be somehow chasing through a checksystem. they refer to these rules (which supposedly already existed in 2005):

"According to the terms and condtition for .se domain a personal identification number mut be registerd on the domain. Please see term 4.1.1 on https://internetstiftelsen.se/app/uploads/2021/10/se-terms-and-conditions-2021-11-01.pdf"

if i don't provide the id, my .se domain will be shut down on 10.11.22! wtf!

• You can register .se with Njalla, highly unlikely they will ask any personal information (PII).

EuroDNS's .se page mentions the requirement of supplying ID or passport details (https://www.eurodns.com/domain-extensions/se-domain-registration).

• loopia told me...

The term and condition 4.1.1 has not changed and was the same in 2005 when the domain was registered. However, these conditions are still required to have the domain name registered.

Whether or not you want to send us the required information, is up to you, but if we don't get it the domain will be deactivated and deleted by the Swedish registry Internetstiftelsen.

If you want to transfer the domain from us you can follow the guide below.

[...]

Note that with a transfer, the contact details registered on the domain will not be updated. Internetstiftelsen has informed us that if the information registered on the domain is not updated by 2022-11-10 the domain will be deactivated.

• Strangely https://www.netim.com/en/domain-name/se-domain (where I registered .se domain first before I transferred it to the loopia) says just:

What are the conditions to register a .se domain name?
    There is no specific procedure related to the registration of a domain name.

.SE domain names are allocated on a "first come, first served" basis.

Terms and conditions
    By registering a .se domain name, you accept the conditions of the extension:
    Special terms and conditions - .SE domain names
    https://www.netim.com/contracts//CP-ND-SE-1.0.EN.pdf

I never provided any documents to the netim or loopia.

• also thought to switch to netim. but that probably won't do me any good because internetstiftelsen will fuck me if i don't deliver an id, at least that's how i understand the statement from loopia support. they argue so that they only enforce internetstiftelsen rules.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited October 2022

@hyperblast said: The term and condition 4.1.1 has not changed and was the same in 2005 when the domain was registered. However, these conditions are still required to have the domain name registered.

They don't differentiate between demand to provide your personal data into "the application for a Domain Name" (it's more or less the same with every gTLD and ccTLD publicly available for the registration) and their collecting of copy of your ID.

Article 4.1.1 does not say that they need copy of your ID but for you to provide personal data when you register domain. To me it seems like they are requesting copy of your national identity document at their own discretion imho.

4 The Domain Holder´s obligations
    4.1 Responsibility for information
    4.1.1 Concerning new registration, in the application for a Domain Name, the Domain
    Holder is responsible for providing the following information:
    (i) full Company name and contact person or, if a private individual, their first
    name and surname,
    (ii) corporate identity number or personal identification number (for those other
    than Swedish Domain Holders, other foreign equivalent identification
    information can be provided),
    (iii) postal address,
    (iv) phone number, and
    (v) e-mail address.
    The information must be complete and correct.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited October 2022

@hyperblast said: they argue so that they only enforce internetstiftelsen rules.

You provided them with all the data when you registered domain.
    Ask them where internetstiftelsen require actual COPY of your Identity document and how long do they store it and on what basis (because 4.1.1 article doesn't say anything about requirement of collecting your national identity document for the registration).
    I am curious about their answer.

• they (loopia) refer to 4.1.1 (ii)

anyway @Mumbly the told me related to your comment above:

Currently a correct identificatin number in your account and on the domain is missing.

According to the terms and condtition for .se domain a personal identification number mut be registerd on the domain. Please see term 4.1.1 on https://internetstiftelsen.se/app/uploads/2021/10/se-terms-and-conditions-2021-11-01.pdf

You can also see how we handle personal data on https://www.loopia.com/aboutloopia/data-protection/

Please get back to us with a copy of the identification document. The document it self will not be stored. Once the account has been updated the document will be deleted from out systems.

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • Thanks!
    So basically they want a copy of ID for manual verification of your data not because of 4.1.1 would require actual copy of ID. Just as I thought.

I am wondering if/when I will receive their request too.

• hyperblasthyperblast Member
    edited October 2022

basically they are getting on my nerves with the demand for a copy of my identity card.

I sent a copy of my identity card (some parts blacked out) in accordance with the recommendations of a german authority, but this was not sufficient.

however, they refer to 4.1.1 of internetstiftelsen.se - abusive?

• I just contacted 5 or 6 registrars of .se domains with lower renewal fees than loopia if they require any paperwork/copies of documents for .se registration or transfer.
    I will let you know if I get some useful response.

Thanked by 2SLMob hyperblast
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited October 2022

So far two responses. Stablehost answer seems useful although from URL isn't clear do they require also proof of ID number (copy of document) or just number and mrdomain's answer just... short/useless :)
    Both renewals are cheaper than from loopia.

Hello,

Please check out this article for all .se requirements: https://support.stablehost.com/en/articles/2434973-se-domain-requirements

Kind regards,
    ... from StableHost

Hi,

This extension doesn't have any residency requirements.

Regards,
    mrdomain.com

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • Hello.

Thank you for contacting us.

According to our provider for .se domains the requirements are as follow:
    If the registrant is an organization or company, they must provide the VAT number. If the registrant is a individual, the individual's personal ID number is required.

Best regards
    innovahost.net

Everyone need individual's personal ID number, something what we know already, but no one answer directly if they require also some documentation/paperwork uploading.
    They are also cheaper for transfer/renewal than loopia.

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • @Mumbly said:
    I just contacted 5 or 6 registrars of .se domains with lower renewal fees than loopia if they require any paperwork/copies of documents for .se registration or transfer.
    I will let you know if I get some useful response.

I went with hostens as they're cheap provided bogus ID number as there's no way for that ID type to be verified in my country and they haven't specified any field wherein we have to mention which ID type information we have provided, let's see what happens

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited October 2022

@SLMob said: I went with hostens as they're cheap provided bogus ID number as there's no way for that ID type to be verified in my country and they haven't specified any field wherein we have to mention which ID type information we have provided, let's see what happens

That's the first registrant I tryed to contact, however their contact form doesn't work, it's broken (that's not a good sign...), so I went to the next 5 on my list.
    People mostly don't have problem with legit requirement to provide real ID number, it's out of blue requirement of scanned copy of ID what annoys them.

Thanked by 1hyperblast
  • @Mumbly said:

@SLMob said: I went with hostens as they're cheap provided bogus ID number as there's no way for that ID type to be verified in my country and they haven't specified any field wherein we have to mention which ID type information we have provided, let's see what happens

That's the first registrant I tryed to contact, however their contact form doesn't work, it's broken (that's not a good sign...), so I went to the next 5 on my list.
    People mostly don't have problem with legit requirement to provide real ID number, it's out of blue requirement of scanned copy of ID what annoys them.

I already have an account with loopia with some domain so wanted to avoid it for any risk and went woth next cheapest, it's saying pending, will let you know if it's rejected however that should not be the case since they don't have any way to verify my IDs authenticity

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • A personal identification number is needed to register any domain managed by Internetstiftelsen, .se & .nu.

Goes for both individuals and companies.

That's basically the only requirement.

Peoples details are hidden on WHOIS by default.

Companies details are visible.

For cheap domains, Inleed is the way to go.

• today loopia accepted my my sent id. loopia seem to have a tool to check the data based on the number on the id. for german personal data there are checktools and source code freely available on the net.

• SLMobSLMob Member
    edited October 2022

Update: My domains have been active after few hours of it showing "pending verification" on hostens dashboard

• @hyperblast said: it's not that easy. i registered a .se in 2005 with loopia and i don't remember ever providing a personal id. now loopia demands from me (i'm not swede) a copy of my id (!!!), with all the characteristics they must be somehow chasing through a checksystem

Makes me wonder if your problems have something to do with Sweden's new law which introduced mandatory photo ID registration for SIM cards since August 1st, officially to combat terrorism and hate speech.

@jegh said: Otherwise you can provide a randomly generated ID.

This is a very bad idea in general.

• @vanuatu_vase_vendor said:

@hyperblast said: it's not that easy. i registered a .se in 2005 with loopia and i don't remember ever providing a personal id. now loopia demands from me (i'm not swede) a copy of my id (!!!), with all the characteristics they must be somehow chasing through a checksystem

Makes me wonder if your problems have something to do with Sweden's new law which introduced mandatory photo ID registration for SIM cards since August 1st, officially to combat terrorism and hate speech.

@jegh said: Otherwise you can provide a randomly generated ID.

This is a very bad idea in general.

Nope. .se & .nu has worked like this for a pretty long time. SIM card thing is new.

I actually prefer .se & .nu rules to other domains.

Sure, .com etc. might require less personal data, but you have to have a registrar register every detail on their behalf or you get spammed to literally death.

On .se & .nu everything’s hidden publicly. It’s a major plus.