Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What VPS specs and software do I need to manage my own DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• A very low spec VPS should be fine. I use bind9, because it's what I used years ago and so I had no learning curve, but there are other choices now. I've no idea if they're better or worse.

I'm running my primary DNS in its own VM on my dedi with 368M, 1GB swap and 3GB root partition, and not had any issues.

With a bunch of different zones, bind is using 330MB of virtual memory, although only 12MB resident most of the time. I did an "rndc reload" and it briefly spiked to 16MB resident memory usage and there's still 220MB free RAM, so you don't need much.

The secondaries which are the one that are actually accessible to the world and serve the same zones have 160MB virtual, 24MB resident on a 1GB machine and 570MB virtual and 56MB resident on another that has 8GB. Both VPS are also used for haproxy amongst other things.

Not sure why the memory usage is so wildly different on each instance, but in any case, you don't need much in the way of resources at all. Unless the DNS is going to get hammered, in which case you might want better CPU and network.

Even 20 years ago when I was running a huge university network, we had DNS on the same machines as other services, and we did DNS forwarding for the local machines too.

Thanked by 2rchurch _MS_
  • I'd like something canned with a control panel.

I don't think that manually editing BIND files is my thing.

Years ago when I was dabbling with the idea of being a service provider I had some panel software that did it all but I've forgotten what it was.

It was some kind of white label system which enabled customers to delegate their DNS to you and all that stuff, but this time it is just for me.

• PowerDNS?

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • @HalfEatenPie said:
    PowerDNS?

PowerDNS has been designed to serve both the needs of small installations by being easy to setup, as well as for serving very large query volumes on large numbers of domains. Additionally, through use of clever programming techniques, PowerDNS offers very high domain resolution performance.

The name PowerDNS sounds like it may require a lot of resources, but if they say it serves the needs of small installations I will give it a try.

• @rchurch said:

Why do you want/need to? Just use your domain registrar's and save the hassles.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • I need to host some servers that are not supposed to be on public DNS servers, but accessible to own workstations and laptops which will be configured with those DNS servers.

• ❯  systemctl status AdGuardHome.service
    ● AdGuardHome.service - AdGuard Home: Network-level blocker
         Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/AdGuardHome.service; enabled; vendor p>
         Active: active (running) since Tue 2022-10-18 10:01:17 JST; 1h 37min ago
       Main PID: 3412130 (AdGuardHome)
          Tasks: 7 (limit: 1075)
         Memory: 30.2M
            CPU: 1.982s
         CGroup: /system.slice/AdGuardHome.service
                 └─3412130 /opt/AdGuardHome/AdGuardHome -s run

• @rchurch said:
    I need to host some servers that are not supposed to be on public DNS servers, but accessible to own workstations and laptops which will be configured with those DNS servers.

Giant Red flag....

If you have to configure each workstation, you might as well use hosts file and not leak using DNS anyway.

Almost certainly, "you're doing it wrong".

Thanked by 2Liso skorous
  • jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited October 2022

@TimboJones said:
    Giant Red flag....

If you have to configure each workstation, you might as well use hosts file and not leak using DNS anyway.

It still isn't clear to me what he wants, but isn't this just a case of running your private recursor with some internal zones (assuming these workstations are in the same network segment)?

But if he means a split-horizon recursor that is available publicly then that is indeed very odd.

• @TimboJones said:

@rchurch said:
    I need to host some servers that are not supposed to be on public DNS servers, but accessible to own workstations and laptops which will be configured with those DNS servers.

Giant Red flag....

The problem with the hosts file is that you don't always have access to those laptops, but you can ask the users to you set their DNS servers, or even configure DNS over https through their browsers.

Getting them to update their hosts files is bound to be a pain.

• I’m running powerdns authoritative (without web interface) and mariadb, which hosts a handful of zones. OS is debian 11. Currently the entire set of processes takes around 150MMB of RAM.

• fazarfazar Member
    edited October 2022

@rchurch said:
    The problem with the hosts file is that you don't always have access to those laptops, but you can ask the users to you set their DNS servers, or even configure DNS over https through their browsers.

Getting them to update their hosts files is bound to be a pain.

Aye... I assume you want to setup your own recursor, so you can add static entries. unbound can do this, you can run it on a small vps. Or, as mentioned earlier, you can choose adguard home if you prefer web configuration panel. its also support DoH and DoT. adblocking should be an extra option to consider. 😊

• @jmgcaguicla said:

@TimboJones said:
    Giant Red flag....

It still isn't clear to me what he wants, but isn't this just a case of running your private recursor with some internal zones (assuming these workstations are in the same network segment)?

Most likely. We'll see how he deals with becoming the single point of failure when he's managing multiple DNS servers for the first time.

• Does DirectAdmin manage DNS?

Can I point the nameservers at a registrar to my DA enabled VPS and manage the DNS from there, not as recursor DNS server but just a regular nameserver for the domains hosted?